Sign in with
Your question

I'm gonna start crying

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2012 11:59:03 PM

So I just did a clean install of windows 7 64 bit home premium and everything is running fine, but when I install Nvidia drivers 306.23 to be exact I get a blue screen right after it says starting windows, I never see my desktop.

If I start in safe mode it works fine, and if I uninstall the Gfx drivers it boots up perfectly, only when I install the drivers for my card I get blue scree'd

My GFX cad is 690 GTX , it was really expensive and I Know its not an issue with the card because it does it with other cards as well, like my friends 680 GTX.

Ive tried reinstalling windows and Using a different Hard drive but everytime I get to the installing of my video card drivers it blue screens when I boot up..

I have an i7 2600k
8gb ram
850W power supply with 2 8 pin plugs going into my card so it cant be a power issue..

I read somewhere that PCI express slots sometimes dont get the right voltage? I am upgrading from a 560 Ti which only used 2 6 pin connectors would this be causing this type of problem??

Im using PCI Express slot 1 on my mobo too, It has 2 slots

I really need help with this, I spent a ton of money and cant even use my computer

More about : gonna start crying

September 22, 2012 12:06:13 AM

Side note I did a system recovery on both my SSD and HDD and both had the exact same issue

I'm thinking it could be a PCI voltage issue or something? how would I go about seeing if that's the problem?
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:10:05 AM

samwow412 said:
Side note I did a system recovery on both my SSD and HDD and both had the exact same issue

I'm thinking it could be a PCI voltage issue or something? how would I go about seeing if that's the problem?

put the 690 in the 2nd PCI-E slot and see if it works
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 12:14:44 AM

devilofdeaths said:
put the 690 in the 2nd PCI-E slot and see if it works

The second pci slot is poorly placed, 1cm underneath it are a bunch of plugs that makes any recent card impossible to put in
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:19:02 AM

Is it a quality power supply?
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:25:12 AM

vrumor is right.is it a seasonic,antec,corsair,cooler master,XFX
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:26:53 AM

Can always try older drivers as well. I know ill bring down the wrath of a mod with this, but nvidia drivers havent been the best lately. Worth a shot.
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:32:52 AM

I haven't heard of this happening, it's pretty weird.
Are you positive you have the 64 bit windows and 64 bit driver?
When it goes blue try using the on board graphics. This should allow you to check device manager, dxdiag, whatever control centers nvidia has so you can search for clues. Of course that is assuming the problem isn't system wide. Hmm i guess safe mode would allow this too.

Might try to check the BIOS. might have something like Virtu or an incorrect setting. setting causing issues. Ty defaults, optimal and then custom tweaks.

You had a working card before but settings may be reset or conflicted with fresh install. Might try to use that card and see what the result is.

As far as voltages. i don't see why that would be a problem. do the card fans turn on? did you mess with OC before installing drivers?

welp that's all my ideas, hopefully someone can offer better advice.
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:37:46 AM

If you can reproduce this problem by placing the 690 into your friend's computer (the one with the working 680) then you know the card need's to be sent back to manufacturer.

Since its all Nvidia hardware and drivers, it should be plug and play. I was able to swap a 670 for a 680 in a system, (windows 7) and it took it without even asking to reboot.
m
l
September 22, 2012 1:42:02 AM

Its not the card

Would my BIOS being not updated have anything to do with this? Ive been reading threads, nothing thats exactly my problem, but it seems like PCI not getting the right voltage is an issue for a lot of ppl. But mine runs fine plugged in when the drivers are not installed, its only when I update the drivers does it not even let me get to my desktop..

How does one update his BIOS? or increase the voltage to the PCE slot???? plz help
m
l
September 22, 2012 1:43:25 AM

Hi, I'd rollback the drivers if everything was fine before installing the 306.23 drivers. What motherboard are you using? Are you up to date on your bios?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2012 1:45:09 AM

What power supply?
m
l
September 22, 2012 1:46:14 AM

tinmann said:
Hi, I'd rollback the drivers if everything was fine before installing the 306.23 drivers. What motherboard are you using? Are you up to date on your bios?

Hi!

I dont think my bios is updated, i just did a fresh install of Win 7 and never updated bios manually so im not really sure.

I dont know how to check if its updated, or what my MOBO is, its an i7 2600k CPU i know that.

I did a rollback and im on now, but there isnt a video driver installed you know? My monitors are plugged into my 690 gtx but when i go to display advanced it all says N/A N/A

It seems to blue screen me even with older drivers for the 600 series and beta ones too.. idk :(  :( 
m
l
September 22, 2012 1:55:23 AM

Deemo13 said:
What power supply?

Thermaltake Smart M Series, Smart M 850W
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:04:09 AM

:(  idk what to do

it says when i go to install the nvidia driver that I already have a version of PhysX System Software but Driver sweep doesnt see anything by nvidia and I uninstalled everytyhing nvidia in my Add remove programs, that might be an issue?!? idk wtf is wrong here
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:04:52 AM

Thermaltake sells crappy PSUs as a general rule of thumb. Try it in your friends PC if he has a decent PSU and see how it works.
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:06:17 AM

vrumor said:
Thermaltake sells crappy PSUs as a general rule of thumb. Try it in your friends PC if he has a decent PSU and see how it works.

I cant do that now, only working with my computer :/ 
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:11:05 AM

I took a pic of it with my phone, does this give any info as to what is causing this?!

m
l
September 22, 2012 2:16:35 AM

No one has any clue ill take any suggestion, I can not figure out what is goin wrong, and I've searched google all day nothing helps

Ill pay someone on paypal to fix this issue with me im getting so frustrated.
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:18:24 AM

Already made a suggestion. The power draw on your PSU compared to a 560 is drastic with a 690. If this issue wasnt happening before, and is now, its either your Thermalcrapper PSU or a bad 690. 1 of the 2.
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:19:45 AM

vrumor said:
Already made a suggestion. The power draw on your PSU compared to a 560 is drastic with a 690. If this issue wasnt happening before, and is now, its either your Thermalcrapper PSU or a bad 690. 1 of the 2.

The PSU is brand new and it says 690 only needs 600W psu to work properly, mines 850w

So the only other case would be a bad 690gtx?
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:23:47 AM

Just cause it says its 850w, doesnt mean it actually produces that, or gives you clean power. Thermaltake as a general rule of thumb, sells crappy PSUs. If its brand new, return it and get a quality PSU from Seasonsic, XFX, Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling to name a few.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2012 2:48:43 AM

You could also run a memtest.
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:54:18 AM

Lol that's exactly what the EVGA dude on the phone said, he said I have a faulty PSU and should run a memtest >.<
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2012 2:54:58 AM

Well, at least he knows what he's talking about.
m
l
September 22, 2012 3:21:13 AM

Super fail.

Finally fixed it, I did a BIOS Update, my version was dated feb 1st of 2011, and did a fresh install of the drivers in safe mode and its working now :) 

Should I still get a new PSU tho? my 12v was fluctuating on 12.192 and 12.288 and the EVGA guy said that might be a faulty one
m
l
September 22, 2012 3:35:52 AM

samwow412 said:
Super fail.

Finally fixed it, I did a BIOS Update, my version was dated feb 1st of 2011, and did a fresh install of the drivers in safe mode and its working now :) 

Should I still get a new PSU tho? my 12v was fluctuating on 12.192 and 12.288 and the EVGA guy said that might be a faulty one

Small fluctuations like this are normal, but it shouldnt fall below 12v line. Expensive parts like the 690 and others deserve a quality power supply look for a Corsair HX 850.
m
l
September 22, 2012 3:37:20 AM

vrumor said:
Can always try older drivers as well. I know ill bring down the wrath of a mod with this, but nvidia drivers havent been the best lately. Worth a shot.

Oh no you didnt!! :non: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 22, 2012 3:41:28 AM

I would recommend getting a PSU from one of the reliable brands - Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, PC Power & Cooling more or less. You won't need 850W if you get one of those, 750W would be fine.

Not that those voltages are actually too much of a concern in and of themselves. The voltage is allowed to fluctuate some (between 11.4 and 12.6V for the 12V rail).
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2012 10:46:07 AM

vrumor said:

To use an AMD/ATi fanboy retoric, I haven't had any problems and judging by the post quoted below it wasn't the drivers was it? :pfff: 
samwow412 said:
Super fail.

m
l
September 22, 2012 10:54:55 AM

And there he is! Yes mousemonkey forgive me for trying to help someone on your forum. Ill try not to ever say anything bad about nvidia ever again. Your stalking is quite creepy.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2012 11:04:11 AM

vrumor said:
And there he is! Yes mousemonkey forgive me for trying to help someone on your forum. Ill try not to ever say anything bad about nvidia ever again. Your stalking is quite creepy.

Your post wasn't really very helpful though was it? And I have no need to stalk you when post cobblers like that which have no bearing on the problem the OP is having. :pfff: 
m
l
!