Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 660ti or 7950?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 12:24:28 AM

oh and also the 660ti link doesnt work
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 12:41:56 AM

if you dont mind a little minimal fps then a 660ti but i would really suggest a 7950 because at 1200p the amd card are better than the nvidia cards
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 12:49:53 AM

no idea about saints row . . .




regardless of any AAx8+ BS anyone wants to spew the cards trade blows in games and for all intents and purposes are rather even.
Score
0
September 22, 2012 12:52:54 AM

I would take a 7870 over a 660 ti. It is going for a great price now and performance is comparable.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 12:59:43 AM

loonium i know this is off topic but for do you put pictures in the forums and the power edition has an unfair advantage the refrence 660ti lost 2>1
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:00:16 AM

ok well I am leaning towards the 660ti as I am use to Nvidias great driver support. However I am worried about getting one due to the limited memory bus and I plan to get Crysis 3. I am not even sure my pc is up to running crysis 3 atm. 990x @ 3.9ghz 24gb ram. I want to be able to stick one card in and run at least 45-50fps in most titles and hopefully get 40ish fps in Crysis 3 lol if it doesnt melt my pc.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:04:32 AM

mrlime09 said:
ok well I am leaning towards the 660ti as I am use to Nvidias great driver support. However I am worried about getting one due to the limited memory bus and I plan to get Crysis 3. I am not even sure my pc is up to running crysis 3 atm. 990x @ 3.9ghz 24gb ram. I want to be able to stick one card in and run at least 45-50fps in most titles and hopefully get 40ish fps in Crysis 3 lol if it doesnt melt my pc.

actually the recent drivers from nvidia hasnt been that great and also what is your cpu and the 7950 doesnt have a low memory bus and it still can overclock to a 7970 where as the 660ti cant overclock that much
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:05:45 AM

The other thing that worries me is I hear nothing but awful things about amd driver support. I like the 7950 and think it might last longer then a 66ti but with bad support and the fact that I would have to use a driver sweeper kinga bugs me.
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:06:40 AM

My CPU is a I7 990x at 3.9GHZ.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:09:24 AM

mrlime09 said:
ok well I am leaning towards the 660ti as I am use to Nvidias great driver support. However I am worried about getting one due to the limited memory bus and I plan to get Crysis 3. I am not even sure my pc is up to running crysis 3 atm. 990x @ 3.9ghz 24gb ram. I want to be able to stick one card in and run at least 45-50fps in most titles and hopefully get 40ish fps in Crysis 3 lol if it doesnt melt my pc.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2006/15/

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:09:37 AM

mrlime09 said:
The other thing that worries me is I hear nothing but awful things about amd driver support. I like the 7950 and think it might last longer then a 66ti but with bad support and the fact that I would have to use a driver sweeper kinga bugs me.

actually the new catalyst drivers inprove the preformance of all 7xxx cards and yes the 7950 will lost longer and it's also better in crossfire than the 660ti
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:22:11 AM

Ok well I due plan to use 4x Msaa on all my games as without it games look pretty awful. I don't like that they said Crossfire has issues atm as if Crysis 3 kicks the 7950's but I would like to toss in another card to offset the fps dip. Is it really that bad in Crossfire?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:22:27 AM

undercovernerd6 said:
after reading this article I almost sold my 670 for a 7970

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

nvidia cards are better UNTIL you get past 4x Msaa then radeons beat them. Fact.

I didnt know it was that bad...I dont use more then 4x msaa but those that do wow..Also i game on 1080p..I do know that alot of people cant stand jaggies and with the memory bandwidth/bus being so much better with the extra rops You can use more aa/Higher res..Thanks for the link
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:28:26 AM

mrlime09 said:
Ok well I due plan to use 4x Msaa on all my games as without it games look pretty awful. I don't like that they said Crossfire has issues atm as if Crysis 3 kicks the 7950's but I would like to toss in another card to offset the fps dip. Is it really that bad in Crossfire?


CF support isn't bad at all and AMD's drivers are excellent with the current version and one or two previous versions.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:28:47 AM

devilofdeaths said:
loonium i know this is off topic but for do you put pictures in the forums and the power edition has an unfair advantage the refrence 660ti lost 2>1

sorry dude there is no way that 2 or 3 FPS difference (or anything less that 5% difference) is a win or a loss; that would be a TIE.

its a joke to claim 2 fps difference out of 50+ as a win :pfff: 

like i said the cards are even and addendum with it depends on the games the OP plays.
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:29:17 AM

Wow I am kinda shocked but not really as I knew deep down there was no way a gimped card like the 660ti could hang with a 7950 but all the other reviews showed otherwise so it confused me. I think the 7950 is what I might atm.
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:32:55 AM

wait a Second this shows a whole lot of Batman and I don't play Batman. I have it for xbox and figure thats enough. Ok lets try and clear this up at 1920x1200 @30inches which is best for the games I play? I only play FPS games and some GTA style games and plan on getting Crysis 3.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:33:20 AM

mrlime09 said:
Wow I am kinda shocked but not really as I knew deep down there was no way a gimped card like the 660ti could hang with a 7950 but all the other reviews showed otherwise so it confused me. I think the 7950 is what I might atm.

Like i said man they trade blows..But at higher res/x8 msaa they fall short due to lack of memory bus/bandwidth..In your case you should get the 7950 the more i think about it
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:36:26 AM

until the article of msaa exploration I was going on sole benches like 1900 res low as, I play my games on everything max as long as its 60 fps + I think I was as shocked as everyone else to see the nvidia gpus suffer as much.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 87 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:37:46 AM

mrlime09 said:
wait a Second this shows a whole lot of Batman and I don't play Batman. I have it for xbox and figure thats enough. Ok lets try and clear this up at 1920x1200 @30inches which is best for the games I play? I only play FPS games and some GTA style games and plan on getting Crysis 3.


I'd recommend a 7950 over a 660 Ti, but that's me. It handles AA and tessellation better than anything from Nvidia and against the 660 Ti, it has superior frame rates usually on the order of 15-30%. A lot of the 660 Ti reviews used Radeons with gimped drivers, cherry-picked 660 Tis that performed between somewhat above and way above average for their same models (great binning means great Boost frequencies), and similar gimmicks that even if the 660 Ti was the superior card, I'd be too insulted to recommend it unless the 7950 sucked, which is obviously not the case. I actually did a count after someone brought it up about two or three weeks ago and more than half of the 660 Ti reviews used far outdated drivers for AMD and the newest drivers for Nvidia or didn't even state driver versions, making the review useless for comparisons.
Share
September 22, 2012 1:44:36 AM

Best answer selected by Mrlime09.
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:48:51 AM

I made a mistake in my above post: I meant to say superior minimum frame rates by about 15-30%, but I left out the minimum. My mistake, sorry for any confusion related to it :( 

With heavy AA, it can have a large advantage also in average FPS, but it almost always has a good minimum FPS advantage, which is arguably even more important because it's the minimum that the FPS reaches rather than a mere average.
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:49:45 AM

I am going to buy the 7950 it just seems like a better card and at a great price. The fact that a 7870 can out match a 660ti leaves me no reason to buy a 660ti dang I really wanted boarderlands 2 lol oh well.
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:50:54 AM

mrlime09 said:
I am going to buy the 7950 it just seems like a better card and at a great price. The fact that a 7870 can out match a 660ti leaves me no reason to buy a 660ti dang I really wanted boarderlands 2 lol oh well.


It depends on the settings there. The 7870 needs some heavy AA and/or tessellation to out-match the 660 Ti. The 7950 has a greater lead.
Score
0
September 22, 2012 1:56:38 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. I really like the 7950 even more now as it looks like it might become a budget king very soon.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:57:42 AM

blazorthon said:
I actually did a count after someone brought it up


:ange: 
(or maybe another me) :lol: 

btw, at least you had an intelligent opinion instead of spewing out BS. the OP ought to be happy with your advise/suggestion.

cheers
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 2:01:28 AM

Anonymous said:
:ange: 
(or maybe another me) :lol: 

btw, at least you had an intelligent opinion instead of spewing out BS. the OP ought to be happy with your advise/suggestion.

cheers


Honestly, if someone wants a Nvidia card and is considering the 660 Ti, then they should either pay up for the 670 or pay less for the 660. The 660 has similar performance to the 660 Ti at a much lower price and the 670 has superior performance. At least the 670 had fairly decent 4xMSAA scaling in that review and doesn't have a mere 192 bit GDDR5 memory interface.

Cheers :) 
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 9:25:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!