690 or dual 7970?

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi,
can anyone point me in a direction for where to find the latest benchmarks comparing these two cards?
also is it best to use AMD drivers or diamond drivers for the 7970?

thank you

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a 1200 watt power supply, 3930x with asus motherboard. 12 gig ram win 7. triple screen gaming, yes. I only do gaming and internet, word processing, but mostly gaming

from what im seeing here, the 7970 is in fact, well in cf, the faster solution in many things..

having two of these is like having a 7990, is it not? but from my experience in having dual 6990, it is a huge overkill due to driver limitatioins, or did that change?

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

the 7970 CF is even better now since you game on 3 screens because of AMD eyefinity which is years ahead of what nvidia has

If you can find one in stock, a Radeon 7990 would be good too. Powercolor's 7990 is an awesome card.

Overall, 7970CF/7990 get's my vote over the 690. The 690 lags behind them when you throw on the MSAA and such because the GCN Radeon 7xxx cards handle it much better.

Driver support with current drivers for AMD is excellent.

With what drivers? I have no trouble with anything from Catalyst 12.7 and up and I've played Skyrim on a few CF systems with Radeon 7xxx cards.

The 690 will be more efficient, quieter, cooler, and less of a headache in terms of drivers. It will also be faster in the majority of games, yes even when AA is increased.

Or do you like the looks of this better?

HD7990-85.jpg

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/56819-hd-7990-review-powercolor-s-devil-13-a-16.html

Some more good benchmarks here:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/56819-hd-7990-review-powercolor-s-devil-13-a-15.html

I haven't tested the with all of these drivers, but I didn't have any trouble in Skyrim with it. I don't play Diablo 3, Max Panye 3, and Witcher 3, but I have had no trouble with Skyrim with Catalyst 12.6, 12.7, and 12.8, although I did have issues with a few games occasionally with some past driver versions.

You never seemed like a fanboy to me as far as I can remember; I'm simply disagreeing with you. I'm not going to say that Skyrim has excellent scaling, as you've said, it doesn't, but i don't have any problems with it.

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I guess comparing 2 7990 would be a terrible comparison because quad fire still is lousy? I remember from having 2 6990s that the support for that many gpu's just wasnt there and having both was just an expensive ovekill

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

don't bother with the 6990 the 7970's are faster and cheaper

Non working AMD/ATi drivers? You're treading on dangerous ground there! :lol:

Well if I had posted that then this thread would most likely be on page 3 by now with all the AMD/ATi fanboi's disputing the comment and yet no one seems to have batted an eyelid when you post it, make of that what you will. :whistle:

Or maybe I do know how I present the truth and thus get a kick out of the way the already butthurt fanboi's whine, had that thought crossed your mind? :ange:

alphaalphaalpha

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

How could you expect everyone, fanboi or otherwise, to believe what you say when you're intentionally being an ass about it? How are they supposed to distinguish between you and the trolls?

redeemer

Distinguished

Honestly I havent has any major trouble with the 7970 drivers in crossfire, I mean Rage was the biggest pain in the butt. In my opinion Nvidia drivers arent the greatest either. The problem is waiting for the damn crossfire profiles.

When they can't handle the truth because it hurts so much that have to try and deflect that pain I don't have a problem with rubbing their noses in it, is that too much of a problem for you?