Can I build and sell pcs and make a considerable profit?

swallowtail

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I have searched for the answer many places, and they all say the same thing: it's possible, but it would be extremely difficult, and would take a lot of luck. I am asking this question because I have an advantage. My brother works at Intel, meaning I can get parts for nearly 60% off. For example, I can get an i7 3960x for around $480. Would I be able to make a decent amount (>150) from buying the Intel parts for around half off, and then selling it for around the price of buying the parts and building it yourself?

Solution
If you have a cheap source of parts, then yeah I would try it out. Manufactures sell computers for hundreds over what the parts are worth. However someone is more likely to buy a computer from a big manufacturer than a home builder just due to the warranties and personal trust in companies. If you are capable of making them cheap enough, and set up a good background for yourself, then yes, you can easily achieve a good home buisness for yourself. As for the extremely difficult part, I think it is just taking the initiative. Good Luck!!!!
Nov 10, 2010
If you have a cheap source of parts, then yeah I would try it out. Manufactures sell computers for hundreds over what the parts are worth. However someone is more likely to buy a computer from a big manufacturer than a home builder just due to the warranties and personal trust in companies. If you are capable of making them cheap enough, and set up a good background for yourself, then yes, you can easily achieve a good home buisness for yourself. As for the extremely difficult part, I think it is just taking the initiative. Good Luck!!!!

Solution

swallowtail

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Thank you!

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
You can also become the "Tech Guy" that everybody goes to. There are lots of people who don't know how to backup their hard drives, reinstall windows, etc. You could also for example buy and resell antivirus. Example: You purchase 10 licenses of avast for $199 (2 year licenses) and you resell at $29 each to your customers. They will see it as $15/year which is much cheaper than the $60/year norton lols. So building computers, being a tech guy can make you some money. There's also cheap parts at microcenter if you live near one