Sign in with
Your question

Need help with the outputs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2012 4:37:12 AM

I have a MSI 970A-G46 motherboard(which has not output ports) and a Nvidia Geforce GTX550 Ti graphics. When I run my computer, everything seems to be running fine, yet I get no outputs from the DVI or the mini-HDMI cables from the graphics card. I'm assuming the graphics card won't output yet due to the drivers not being installed yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

More about : outputs

a b Î Nvidia
a c 148 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 4:54:15 AM

The graphics card, when first installed, should use the basic Windows Drivers to present a display image on your monitor. If there is no display, it's possible there card is defective, the motherboard is defective, the power supply is insufficient for the graphics card, or user error.

A couple of quick questions:

1) Does the graphics card require an external power connection from the power supply and if so, did you connect it? If you look at the very bottom of the image below, you'll see the 6-pin power connector. This needs to be connected to a PCI-E power cable from your power supply.

2) Is the graphics card installed in the top/first PCI-Ex16 slot of the motherboard? Looking at the images of your motherboard, this should be the blue PCI-Ex16 slot closest to the CPU socket.

Otherwise, please provide us with a full system specification to include your power supply manufacturer and model number.

-Wolf sends
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:28:53 AM

Wolfshadw said:
The graphics card, when first installed, should use the basic Windows Drivers to present a display image on your monitor. If there is no display, it's possible there card is defective, the motherboard is defective, the power supply is insufficient for the graphics card, or user error.

A couple of quick questions:

1) Does the graphics card require an external power connection from the power supply and if so, did you connect it? If you look at the very bottom of the image below, you'll see the 6-pin power connector. This needs to be connected to a PCI-E power cable from your power supply.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/Photos/VCEV001540a2.jpg

2) Is the graphics card installed in the top/first PCI-Ex16 slot of the motherboard? Looking at the images of your motherboard, this should be the blue PCI-Ex16 slot closest to the CPU socket.

Otherwise, please provide us with a full system specification to include your power supply manufacturer and model number.

-Wolf sends

I have a 6-pin connector for the connector you pointed out. I connected them prior to this forum. I've noticed that it has two-3 pin connectors that goes to the 6-pin connector. One of the pins were out of place and I tried to put it back but it didn't seem to work so that may be the problem. The problem now is I have to see if Nvidia can replace that 6 pin connector now.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 148 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 5:42:02 AM

Not sure I understand what you mean when you say one of the pins was out of place. A power supply's PCI-E power connector is standard across the market. It will ONLY fit in a graphic card's PCI-E power connection port. It will fit in ANY graphic card's PCI-E power connection port. If a 6-pin (3x2) power cable from the power supply did not fit into a graphic card's power connection port, either it's the wrong cable or you're trying to put it in the wrong way (unless the card, itself, is damaged).

Here's an image of the PCI-E power connector from the PSU. Note - this image includes the PCI-E 6-pin power connector (3x2 - Left) and the PCI-E 6+2-pin power connector (3x2 + 1x2 - Right).

-Wolf sends
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:10:58 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Not sure I understand what you mean when you say one of the pins was out of place. A power supply's PCI-E power connector is standard across the market. It will ONLY fit in a graphic card's PCI-E power connection port. It will fit in ANY graphic card's PCI-E power connection port. If a 6-pin (3x2) power cable from the power supply did not fit into a graphic card's power connection port, either it's the wrong cable or you're trying to put it in the wrong way (unless the card, itself, is damaged).

Here's an image of the PCI-E power connector from the PSU. Note - this image includes the PCI-E 6-pin power connector (3x2 - Left) and the PCI-E 6+2-pin power connector (3x2 + 1x2 - Right).

http://techreport.com/r.x/psus-0907/pcie-connectors.jpg

-Wolf sends

I apologize for the confusion. The graphics card came with an adapter that I was trying to use. I thought that I was supposed to use the adapter. I found out that I had a 6 pin connector to begin with and used that one. I believe now that the problem is either my RAM or my motherboard. I did an external boot with my motherboard, power supply, cpu fan, graphics card, RAM, and speaker, and i received a BIOS error of 3 short beeps. The 3 short beeps pertain to the RAM as I discovered. I tried all of my RAM (4x2 GB Kingston DDR3) and tried different combinations and it still did not work. So it is either my RAM or my motherboard. I may just replace both and see. Any suggestions?
m
l
!