Cooling the i7 with corsair h100

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
i just recently made my new computer. i did the sound check with speakers and everything is working fine, but when i monitor the heat in the bios it says the cpu is overheating. im using the corsair h100 to cool it. i have an i7 - 3930k LGA2011 unlocked. is the processor gone bad or is it just not enough cooling?

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

any sugestions for when i reapply it?

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

is it a posibility at all, that the proseccor is damaged? how would i go about properly seating the cooling block? last question, how much thermal paste is too much?

See my above post for amount.

The chance of the processor being damaged is slim to none. They do not break as easily as people expect. Barely are ever faulty too.

To ensure you seat the block properly... Hmmmm... Patients I guess. Tighten the screws on the sides abit on each side across from where you start, do not tighten them as you got, go bit by bit until they are tight, this ensure the block is tightened evenly and not lopsided.

It would be foolish to assume all thermal pastes have the same viscosity as MX2 and should be applied the same way

In general the rule is that direct metal contact from the processor heat spreader to the metal of the cooler is ideal , Anything that forms a layer between the two can only slow or stop heat .
Follow the instructions if in doubt

But generally Id use about half as much paste as they use in that video , and use a cardboard business card to spread it very thinly over the heat spreader.
You are only trying to fill microscopic voids and distortion .

The less you use the better

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
is it for sure that the cooler block is the problem? i can run the computer and i almost had win7 installed but then i gave a cpu over temp warning and i turn it off. so is the only thing i have to fix is the fan?

Just check the waterblock/ pump unit is firmly held in place by its mountings

and that the fans are plugged in to the motherboard header .
It should be a 4 pin plug and there will be a header somewhere on the top edge of the motherboard for that.

When you power on the fans should be spinning

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

yeah all the fans are pluged in, and wheni turn the computer on the fans spin and everything works. it just keeps saying the cpu is overheating. with the h100 do i even need to plug the cpu fan pins in? i heard it spins on its own. also i used the thermal paste already on the fan, would that be my problem?

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

The thermal paste goes underneath the waterblock. Directly on top of your CPU. Then you place the waterblock back on top. Should be a very thing film. Like most people say, a pea sized amount spread out over the whole cpu.

Not having thermal paste on your cpu will cause it to overheat no matter what cooler you put on top of it. The function of thermal paste is to fill in every micron of dead space between the cpu and cooler.

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
alright so what i got from this (correct if wrong please)
1. my fan needs to be remounted
2. the pea mothod is the one i should use
3. its not a cpu problem
4. if problems persist get return the old h100 for a shiny new one.

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

By fan remounted I hope you mean waterblock :eek:

The waterblock has no fan inside it, it's just a pump. The tubes then go to your radiator where the fans should be attached too. The fans should be fine as they are so long as they are spinning when you power up your machine.

You need to un-mount the waterblock from your motherboard and then do the thermal paste method then reattach the waterblock.

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

yes that is what i meant, sorry for confusion. so is the pea method what i should go with?

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

You can put a pea sized amount on yes and either use the waterblock to spread it around by placing it on top and slowly moving it around in a circular motion for about 1 minute (usually what I do) or you can use a razor blade or something to spread it around.

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

alright thanks, what should my cpu temp be with the h100 fully working?

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Depends on the specific cpu, they all vary. But I would say if you can stay under 40C idle temps and under 70C load temps you're good.

Once you have OS installed download and install coretemp and prime95.

Coretemp will tell you the true temperature of each core and prime95 is used to stresstest the cpu to find your load temps.

You don't need to screw around with prime95 if you're not comfortable, but definitely get coretemp and check out what the temps are after a few mins of idle computer.

I've heard of people getting 4.6ghz on a 3930k with H100 so you should be able to OC that thing a lot if you are so interested. If you are OC'ing though I would stick to less than 4.4ghz personally with an H100.

themizer2158

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

so with the spiciffic cpu i have right now (see top of post) is it possible that cpu is damaged? or is everyone almost positive its a problem with the contact of the cooler block.

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

When I said specific cpu I meant your exact cpu. The one you own. Not the model, the actual one you have. If you take 10 different 3930k cpu's all of them will have different idle/load temps.

Your cpu is unlikely to be damaged. All modern CPU's have a lot of protections built into them to make them underclock/undervolt themselves to very low speeds so that they cannot overheat too much.