Sign in with
Your question

Budget upgrading help?

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2012 4:47:43 AM

Hey guys my rig is getting old now and i think its time to start changing parts, I am on a tight budget these days so I can't just get a new rig or change everything out at once :( 

PSU: 530W Raidmax? (i think its raidmax..not sure..just know its 530w)
GPU: Radeon HD4830
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA-770-UD3
CPU: Amd Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (Brisbane)
RAM: 5GB G.Skill DDR2

What should be my priority to come first ? Any suggestions for someone on a tight budget ? I'm not trying to get the absolute best of the best..just better then what I have now and will last a while, maybe something that was out in 2011 and has dropped in price or something?

More about : budget upgrading

a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2012 4:52:48 AM

That processor is quite old, and I would recommend a new power supply as well. It really depends on what kind of performance you want.

The card is old, but should get the job done if you don't have the budget for it. It still has respectable performance.

What games are you trying to play?
m
l
November 18, 2012 4:31:57 PM

Well I was wanting to get BF3 and SC2 soon, the card is pretty good as it runs Skyrim on High settings and most other games

The reason I want a new card really is because the 4830 gets hot on "Modern" games like Diablo 3, reaching a whopping 90C while in D3 and everything on low, thats pretty warm.. all other games I have don't get that high in temp, Skyrim hits 80C but after a few hours playing..if its Summer and no AC I have seen the card hit 110C

Power Supply is old, tho it has been a solid one as its survived quite a lot of Power Surges/Storms etc, it may not be a Raidmax..it may be a "higher" brand one, I can't find the brand on it.

Processor I know I need a new one, i'll prob go with PSU/Processor first, do you have any to suggest that are good/quality but with reasonable prices ?

The performance I want is like medium/high on games like BF3/D3/SC2 and be smooth, not aiming for "Ultra" settings just medium/high with solid FPS

I was told once my processor is bottlenecking my rig, would a new processor really improve my card's performance ? Its only 512MB VRam and was only 60$ in 2009..I don't even think they make this card anymore
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2012 8:40:20 PM

Well, the 4830 is pretty old, so it might just need a good cleaning out. They definitely don't make it anymore. I do think the processor is the bottleneck, but there are many different processors for many different budgets.
m
l
November 24, 2012 6:12:23 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Decem-Feb; If good deals during X-mas then December, if not..Feb when income taxes

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Before rebates/shipping:400$

System Usage from Most to Least Important:: Gaming, Surfing, Movies etc..

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU/GPU; Maybe PSU? Current PSU 530W, cannot find brand on it.

CPU I think I am gonna go with the Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition as it will work with my current Mobo

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA-770-UD3

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg/TigerDirect

Parts Preferences: AMD/Gigabyte/Corsair

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: Just solid upgrades/reliable parts/longevity; Video card doesn't have to be insane..just solid FPS in BF3, 50-60 constant on High/Ultra @ 1440x900

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Battlefield 3/CSGO/Diablo 3/SC2

Sorry for late response
m
l
!