Sign in with
Your question

Need feedback on my failed Custom Build...

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2012 5:53:06 AM

Guys,
This is my first time doing custom build, and i am really tight on budget.
I bought these components for the rig:

Ultra ULT40278 MicroATX Tower, USB, 2 Fans, 2x 5.25" Bays, 3x 3.5" Bays, All-In-1 Card Reader, Black,

Ultra Limited Edition 700W ATX Power Supply

AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3650WNGXBOX

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX16C9B1RK2/8X

All of the above cost me 259 bucks.
I already have Monitor and accessories.
So, did i do something wrong? I know i should have consulted about the components.. =(
Any suggestions that you would like to give?

Thanks in advanced
November 18, 2012 7:57:47 AM

That PSU is the biggest problem, Ultra is not known for producing even adequate Power Supply's. Would replace it with a quality unit when you can. Also 700W is pretty overkill on a rig like this, a 450W would be sufficient (even if you hybrid crossfire a 6530 with it).

Otherwise you did fairly well.
m
l
November 18, 2012 9:30:09 AM

Why are you saying it failed? Did you assemble it and it's not working? What's the symptoms?
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2012 12:48:33 PM

I haven't built it yet. But they are on shipping. People say that things are wrong with my build. I just wanna see what fix right now. So I will be ready when it arroives . BTW is my build a rip of since they cost exact 250?
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:53:43 PM

BTW what is PSU overkill? will it blow up my computer? O.o
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:57:14 PM

no it means its to much.....
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:59:00 PM

andreas_vak said:
no it means its to much.....

any disadvantage?
coz that CPU came with the tower they cost 40 bucks
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:08:11 PM

the PSU that came with case most of them had doubtfull quality...

It may said 700w but most of them cannot deliver those wattage.... (or only at peak power)
and more important, they usually had bad ripple filtering.. (this can actually burn the component)

edit:

Anyways nothing wrong with those setup.....
It will run fine (at least for a while)....

try build it when the parts came and report if there a problem....
also u will need 64 bit OS to use 8 Gb of ram
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:26:43 PM

You have a very low power consumption, that power supply it's a total waste of money. Even a Chinese 450w PSU would be enough! until you got a discrete graphic cards in your hand, then a high quality 450w or 500w will be enough.

And since my humble point of view, you 'll need a discrete card to play games. someting like radeon 6670 (at least), or nvidia equivalent, but that's depends on you, how much you cares about games, and so on.

The smartest choice would be an intel i5 (and you don't need to buy the fastest), then you get 4 cores, decent mhz but better than AMD, 78w. A discrete card that suit your needs and the adequate PSU to that computer. You are "saving" money that you can invest in better performance (CPU at least). But again, it depends on what do you want your PC for...
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:29:58 PM

rdc85 said:
the PSU that came with case most of them had doubtfull quality...

It may said 700w but most of them cannot deliver those wattage.... (or only at peak power)
and more important, they usually had bad ripple filtering.. (this can actually burn the component)

edit:

Anyways nothing wrong with those setup.....
It will run fine (at least for a while)....

try build it when the parts came and report if there a problem....
also u will need 64 bit OS to use 8 Gb of ram

thnx, Btw what do you mean by "at least for a while"... O :o 
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:30:25 PM

juan83 said:
You have a very low power consumption, that power supply it's a total waste of money. Even a Chinese 450w PSU would be enough! until you got a discrete graphic cards in your hand, then a high quality 450w or 500w will be enough.

And since my humble point of view, you 'll need a discrete card to play games. someting like radeon 6670 (at least), or nvidia equivalent, but that's depends on you, how much you cares about games, and so on.

The smartest choice would be an intel i5 (and you don't need to buy the fastest), then you get 4 cores, decent mhz but better than AMD, 78w. A discrete card that suit your needs and the adequate PSU to that computer. You are "saving" money that you can invest in better performance (CPU at least). But again, it depends on what do you want your PC for...

I am only planning to play League of legends...
Btw, i have dell diemension 4700 .. will the psu from Dell work with the new one?
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:33:03 PM

juan83 the parts already bought and shipped...

it makes no sense to go buy intel i5, even the store accept refund or such, it's 260 budget rig...

but i'm agree about adding discrete graphic card.... :D 

edit:
well since it was new, I'm expecting it will work fine..
even it was cheap PSU, in moderate use most of them will last about 3 years before failling.. (but it will degrade over time)
from my experience it's good for 2 years and 3 years at tops before it need to be replaced.... (if it not fail from start)

for now nothing gain from worrying, since everything already bought.. try build it first

m
l
November 18, 2012 1:36:00 PM

rdc85 said:
juan83 the parts already bought and shipped...

it makes no sense to go buy intel i5, even the store accept refund or such, it's 260 budget rig...

but i'm agree about adding discrete graphic card.... :D 

Hm.. i think LOL will work with the A6 APU?
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:37:32 PM

darkmirror said:
I am only planning to play League of legends...
Btw, i have dell diemension 4700 .. will the psu from Dell work with the new one?

Actually, depending how many much watts that Dell PSU puts out, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Dell makes great quality PSU's, they also have the world's only 80+ Titanium PSU.
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:40:50 PM

BreadWhistle said:
Actually, depending how many much watts that Dell PSU puts out, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Dell makes great quality PSU's, they also have the world's only 80+ Titanium PSU.

Wattage

305 W

But currently, I am using Radeon HD 4600 and it's bottlenecking my computer..

My current desktop spec is

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 520
Intel Pentium 4 520
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
3.3GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 199MHz (3-3-3-9)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0M3918 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
HP S2031 (1600x900@60Hz)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (ATI AIB) 52 °C
Hard Drives
39.1GB Seagate ST340014AS (SATA) 48 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:41:59 PM

darkmirror said:
Hm.. i think LOL will work with the A6 APU?

-deleted- (wrong reading)

I will try looks for some benchmark....
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:44:51 PM

rdc85 said:
It's more budget problem than the APU problems :(  ....

srry diddn't get what you mean.
You meant my custom is really cheap and components' quality is bad? =/
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:45:56 PM

just edit my post, i'm reading it wrong... (it already late here, my eyes was killing me.... :D )
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:49:30 PM

rdc85 said:
-deleted- (wrong reading)

I will try looks for some benchmark....

Aww thanks for your time.. ^.^
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:57:48 PM

Actually, the build seems pretty good for $259. The only thing I'd really recommend would be a better PSU above 450W, and a A8 or A10 processor for somewhat better performance.
m
l
November 18, 2012 2:01:13 PM

BreadWhistle said:
Actually, the build seems pretty good for $259. The only thing I'd really recommend would be a better PSU above 450W, and a A8 or A10 processor for somewhat better performance.

I will try to upgrade them when i have money.. =)
Btw, will 305 w work on the rig?
m
l
November 18, 2012 2:04:04 PM

Probably not. But one thing you could do is get the Corsair CX-430 (430W) from Newegg for only $34.99
m
l
November 18, 2012 2:10:35 PM

BreadWhistle said:
Probably not. But one thing you could do is get the Corsair CX-430 (430W) from Newegg for only $34.99

Eek! I am not able to buy anymore.. =(
WIll something get wrong with the 700W PSU?
m
l
November 19, 2012 1:16:39 AM

darkmirror said:
BTW what is PSU overkill? will it blow up my computer? O.o

By virtue of being overkill it wont kill the computer no.
But the fact its an Ultra PSU (and of likely very low quality) definitely could blow it up. I would replace it with the Corsair 430W suggested somewhere above when you can.

I think an A6 would run LoL just fine, maybe medium settings. This is based more on gut feeling than knowledge, so I may be wrong.
m
l
November 19, 2012 1:46:56 AM

manofchalk said:
By virtue of being overkill it wont kill the computer no.
But the fact its an Ultra PSU (and of likely very low quality) definitely could blow it up. I would replace it with the Corsair 430W suggested somewhere above when you can.

I think an A6 would run LoL just fine, maybe medium settings. This is based more on gut feeling than knowledge, so I may be wrong.

Hmm.. It's even rated 5 stars by multiple users.. O.o
I bought the PSU with the case. Do you think i can return the PSU but not the case?

Anyway, i will try to find the one that you listed. Thanks
m
l
November 19, 2012 1:59:21 AM

User reviews aren't to be relied upon. The majority of people know nothing about the inside of a PSU nor has the means and knowledge to test if their PSU is acting appropriately. Much better to read proper reviews by tech review sites, as they have the equipment to test it and the blatant disregard for warranty to pull it apart.
Though chances are you wont find a review for this particular unit, as PSU reviews are comparatively few compared to more glamorous components like the CPU and GPU. Most sites dont bother to review generic or low quality units unless they'r doing it just to emphasize why you need to buy a good one.

Probably not.

This is the PSU I mentioned.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 19, 2012 2:05:50 AM

manofchalk said:
User reviews aren't to be relied upon. The majority of people know nothing about the inside of a PSU nor has the means and knowledge to test if their PSU is acting appropriately. Much better to read proper reviews by tech review sites, as they have the equipment to test it and the blatant disregard for warranty to pull it apart.
Though chances are you wont find a review for this particular unit, as PSU reviews are comparatively few compared to more glamorous components like the CPU and GPU. Most sites dont bother to review generic or low quality units unless they'r doing it just to emphasize why you need to buy a good one.

Probably not.

This is the PSU I mentioned.

Thanks for the info.. I really want to return the PSU and case to tigerdirect now. But the website is down.. =(
Btw, will i get the shipping back?
m
l
November 19, 2012 2:14:24 AM

Dont know, will depend on TigerDirect's policy on returned items. Though I imagine not.
m
l
November 19, 2012 2:21:06 AM

manofchalk said:
Dont know, will depend on TigerDirect's policy on returned items. Though I imagine not.

I will try to find a PSU with case bundle. if you know any good and cheap case pls let me know.. Thanks
m
l
November 19, 2012 2:40:30 AM

manofchalk said:
In general PSU's bundled with the case are of low quality, you need to buy the PSU separately.

Im guessing that you'l be looking at low budget cases. These are fairly good ones.

NZXT Gamma. $40

Zalman Z9. $50 ($12 rebate)

Coolermaster Elite 331 Blue. $40 ($10 rebate)

Thanks
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:28:47 AM

manofchalk said:
Not the best PSU by any stretch, but atleast Coolermaster have the reputation as a budget brand rather than one that will blow up on you.

Though for $4 you can get this supply which is actually fairly good.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-VP-450-Energy-Certified-Sup...

And a review on it. Its basically 80+ certified as well, but misses out on a technicality.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe...

I will keep the tower case and exchange the PSU to http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Good idea?
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:35:49 AM

Yep, sounds good.
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:43:38 AM

manofchalk said:
Yep, sounds good.

Is there anything you would like to fix regarding to my build?
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:45:30 AM

As I said at the start, you did fairly well for your budget. My only issue was the PSU.
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:50:30 AM

manofchalk said:
As I said at the start, you did fairly well for your budget. My only issue was the PSU.

Thank you very much for your help sir.. ^.^
m
l
!