Sign in with
Your question

Help! One long beep, three short beep problem.

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2012 5:57:18 AM

Hi guys,

This morning I turned on my computer to be greeted with the beeps and to have my screen not receiving a signal from my PC.

I can hear Windows starting up and everything seems to work fine. I have tried different monitors, different cables etc. After a bit of research it seems the beeps indicate a memory or graphic error. I doubt my RAM is the problem as I know Windows starts up and i also reinstalled the RAM with no success. All the websites that tell me how to fix this problem always involve the PC having a graphics card. My computer however, only has integrated graphics so I really don't no what to do.

Do I need to replace my motherboard?

Will a new graphics card fix the problem?

If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated... this build is only a few months old :/ 

Specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA
CoolerMaster RC-912A-KWN1 HAF912 Advance Ver w Window
Antec VP-650P 650W Strictly PSU
Seagate SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800(GS-F3-1600C9D-8GAO)
Asus P8Z77-M P8Z77-M.Z77 4xDDR3 2xPCI-E16 GBL SATA3 USB3.0 RAID HDMI
Intel Core i5 3470 LGA1155 CPU 3.2Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2012 7:25:52 AM

did you try to take out the CMOS battery for about 2 min to reset the BIOS?
November 18, 2012 4:29:14 PM

cegapus said:
H

Specs:
Asus P8Z77-M P8Z77-M.Z77 4xDDR3 2xPCI-E16 GBL SATA3 USB3.0 RAID HDMI

Heya,

I had this on my ASUS Striker II Formula. One long Three Short on Award Bios mean Gfx card issue. To be more specific, on mine was not the card itself, was the PCI-Ex slot. Both 2.0 were dead, the one 1.0 was working so putting a card there was working. Takes some time to recognize though ... like 10-15secs before it shows POST screen ...

I had a burned 9800GTX+ which almost died (fixed it in the oven ;)  and put it on a second pc) and probably that damaged my PCI-E 2.0 slots or vice versa, meaning, the mobo killed the card. It could be the second one, since I see a nvidia raid controller error in the windows events and pc is freezing sometimes (as it did before killing my 9800GTX+). Either way, I replaced the motherboard too, didn't want to damage my new 7870 OC too ... was just too bad, cause the STriker II Formula was great, got it for 4 years with no trouble and costed 300+ Euros ... but whatever, done is done.

It is very possible that your motherboard has the problem, from what I saw, you got warranty, so no big deal ... just get a replacement ... (try the graphics card on another mobo to be sure first)
November 25, 2012 5:23:03 AM

i dont have a video card, im on integrated.
!