Upgraded from GTX460 to GTX660

SirKhairin

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Lemme list out the specs of my PC

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32-bit SP1

CPU : Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM : 4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P61A-D3 (Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz)

Graphics : 1023MB GeForce GTX 460 (Gigabyte)

So I am upgrading to a GTX660 ASUS. With the help of my uncle, right after we pop the guy in, my PC just wouldn't start, as in the BIOS startup won't even appear and it makes a 3 beeping sound. Putting back the GTX460 makes everything okay again.

We ruled out lack of power supply to the GPU already by disconnecting the power sockets to the HDDs.

I'm postulating that the motherboard might not be compatible with the GPU but that is highly unlikely.

So what do you guys think? I'm at a lost here

The 12V amperage should be high enough, especially if it works with a GTX 460, but that PSU is not from a very reliable brand and it might actually be the problem in a different way as a result of that.

22 amps on the 12V rail would be enough for the GTX 660 Ti so long as the CPU isn't a huge power hog and there aren't other abnormally high power-consumption components. 32 amps should be much more than enough.

Not a very good psu, but if it runs your GTX460 without a problem there's no way it wouldn't run a lower power card

SirKhairin

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I guess I'll try this

dingo07

Distinguished

I would love to see the proof of this, because every review I see has the GTX 660 sucking about 20W more than a 460 while playing a taxing game

because it's actually comparing apples to oranges, they're probably closer to equal power draw

The reference 660 Ti uses slightly less power than the reference 670. Anyone who says otherwise has no experience with the card. It's nearly identical to the 670 with the same GPU at the same frequencies and the same number of memory chips at the same frequency. The main difference is that one of the memory controllers (and related hardware such as the ROPs that are a part of that memory controller) are disabled and the two extra memory chips are instead controlled by one of the remaining memory controllers (one controller has 1GiB of VRAM and the other two have .5GiB each).

If the PSU is not working with the 660 Ti, then it would have had to degraded greatly since you bought it. It is a mere Cooler Master PSU, so that's entirely possible, but that the card is DOA is more likely.

I Mistook 660 Ti for the regular 660 and you missed that, so you're no less noobish than I was for my mistake. Regardless of that, Guru3D's power consumption numbers are useless and their site specifically states several reasons for why that is. Still, yes, maybe the regular 660 should use less power than the 460.

The regular 660 uses much less power than the 660 Ti. It has a much smaller GPU with about 29% fewer cores and a lower clock frequency IIRC.

Wasn't directed at you :non:

TRENDING THREADS