Sign in with
Your question

Reference vs non-reference in SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2012 4:59:28 PM

What is better in SLI with a very good airflow case? Reference cooling or non-reference.
My case will have two 120mm inputs at the front, two 120mm inputs the bottom-front, one 140mm fan mounted to the hdd bay pushing air towards the gpus, a rear 140mm output fan and two 120mm output fans for my H100 radiator.

Any advice on GPU selection is also welcome.
I will be running a 3770K oc'd and a single 1080x1920 monitor (possibly upgrading to three if I feel rich enough)
September 22, 2012 5:05:59 PM

BigMack70 said:
Non-reference coolers are always better for temps if you have good airflow in your case and a slot of space between the cards in SLI.

Any particular brand of cooler you could recommend?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 5:12:01 PM

What GPU's are you going for? You used to see alot of people using reference coolers in SLI setups because they kick most of the heat out the back of the card....

I don't think its as much of an issue with the newer cards 6xx/7xxx as the use less power and produce less heat.

Your airflow is very good so I would probably recommend getting nice non ref coolers. All your CPU heat is going straight out of the case with the h100 so there wont be much build up in there anyway.

m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 5:13:42 PM

Best answer selected by FlyingLentil.
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:18:06 PM

paddys09 said:
What GPU's are you going for? You used to see alot of people using reference coolers in SLI setups because they kick most of the heat out the back of the card....

I don't think its as much of an issue with the newer cards 6xx/7xxx as the use less power and produce less heat.

Your airflow is very good so I would probably recommend getting nice non ref coolers. All your CPU heat is going straight out of the case with the h100 so there wont be much build up in there anyway.

Cheers
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:19:08 PM

paddys09 said:

I am probably going with the MSI windforce OC'd 670's
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 6:03:41 PM

Gigabyte Windforce 670's? MSI have the Power Edition Cards....... Either will be a good choice anyway!
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:36:38 PM

paddys09 said:
Gigabyte Windforce 670's? MSI have the Power Edition Cards....... Either will be a good choice anyway!

eh derp, Yeah I can get the MSI 670s from amazon (im from aust) for bout $100 less than I can here so that's pretty swell. I think I've got my entire system figured out now!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 1:58:21 PM

Sounds like a nice setup to me, enjoy :) 
m
l
!