Best networking package for a 3 story house?

AngryMarmot

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I've got cat5 going from each floor to a junction in the basement where it meets the cable I'll need for my modem. My goal is multiple wired ports and also strong wireless on each floor. Should I put the router with the modem in the basement and then have access points on each floor that have multiple hard ports as well as wireless? If so, any suggestions for routers and access points (again multi-port) that play well together? I was unable to find any manufacturers that sell routers and access points bundled for this type of application so any suggestions would be appreciated. Likewise if that approach is not best, advice is welcome. Thanks.

Connor

you can use any router you like and convert it to a AP as long you assign a separate IP to each one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

I like routers with external antennas as AP since you have the option to add different antennas if needed. I like the ASUS RT-N12 with DD-WRT firmware configured in Client Bridge Mode.

as for the basement attach one Switch to the router and connect the network cables to the switch.