Sign in with
Your question

Graphic lag in BF3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2012 5:38:11 PM

Hi guys, I recently upgraded my pc because I had a ot of graphic lag whenever I played bf3.

Old specs:
i5 650 3.20GHz then upgraded to i5 750 2.80GHz.
6GB RAM
ASUS GTX560TI 1GB
500W psu

Recently I upgraded to these specs:
i5 3570k 3.40 GHz
Gigabyte PCI-E 3.0 Motherboard
800W Corsair psu
8GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
HD 7950 graphic card
And I have a standard 500Gb hdd

Even with these upgrades I still seem to have some graphic lag, i play everything on medium and get like 160fps and it would sometimes drop to 90 or 70 but thats fine, even sometimes drops to 55 then i start to worry.

I also noticed that when playing bf3 my cpu usage goes to 89%, now I dont know if thats a good or bad thing. The only programs I have open is Origin, Teamspeak, battlelog, Gpu Tweak and Catalyst Control Center.

What is causing the graphic lag, what can i do to fix it?? :( 

Any help would be really appreciated guys, I didnt pay R8300 to only be able to play the game on medium and still get graphic lag, I really want to fix this.

More about : graphic lag bf3

September 22, 2012 5:43:13 PM

Did you use drive sweeper/fusion to clean out the drivers before installing the new gpu?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 22, 2012 5:48:06 PM

Yeah its on multiplayer, I know it can be server/line lag but when i am playing the game stutters and it feels like graphic lag :/ 
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:57:41 PM

And also is the high cpu usage a bad thing or a good thing??
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:00:18 PM

Are you playing ultra? And are you playing regular maps or armored kill?
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:28:07 PM

Regular maps like metro, bazaar, no im playing on medium.
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:39:13 PM

tried re-installing drivers? is any of your system Overclocked? whats the specs to your monitor?

Overclocking can bottleneck your system if one thing is beyond the other.
A monitor cause be the breaker between smooth gameplay and choppy
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:47:21 PM

after you upgraded, did you do a clean windows install ? when you change the motherboard, a clean install is a must do
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:50:37 PM

yeah i did a clean install, nothing is overclocked, i am playing on an 18" full HD screen.
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:51:24 PM

But guys 1 thing I just want to know is is it a bad thing that my cpu usage goes to 89% when i am playing bf3?
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:57:37 PM

Silencerzz said:
But guys 1 thing I just want to know is is it a bad thing that my cpu usage goes to 89% when i am playing bf3?

No, thats supposed to happen. BF3 is a CPU intensive game.. not as much as BC2 was i don't think but its still heavy threaded
m
l
September 22, 2012 7:03:09 PM

ahh ok i see cause my gpu usage is about 94% so thats also good i suppose..??
m
l
September 22, 2012 7:07:07 PM

Silencerzz said:
ahh ok i see cause my gpu usage is about 94% so thats also good i suppose..??

Yea it should be. I mean unless you got a 3930K and a GTX 690 your usage for your system is gonna be near max.
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:02:01 PM

Weirdest thing happened when i played 10 mins ago, my game would freeze for like 1 second then resume again and sometimes it feels a bit laggy and then just minimizes :/ . my cpu temps when i play is 50 degrees there about and gpu is 43 degrees. I dont think this is a hardware problem but rather a software problem... What do you guys think?
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:27:03 PM

determinologyz said:
Did you use drive sweeper/fusion to clean out the drivers before installing the new gpu?

That is really bad advice.
You should not be telling people to load junk like this into computers.
It's irresponsible.
The ONLY software you need to make it run correctly is the factory windows disk.

More than 80% of free software on the internet is FAKE. And, it is designed to steal your personal information and plant spyware in your system.
Really, really bad idea.
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:28:37 PM

Silencerzz said:
Yes I did

The blind follow the blind.
You loaded junk software into your computer, and now you wonder why it don't work right.
live and learn, i guess.
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:43:03 PM

Silencerzz said:
Hi guys, I recently upgraded my pc because I had a ot of graphic lag whenever I played bf3.

Old specs:
6GB RAM
ASUS GTX560TI 1GB
500W psu

i5 3570k 3.40 GHz
800W Corsair psu
8GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
HD 7950 graphic card

Even with these upgrades I still seem to have some graphic lag, i play everything on medium and get like 160fps and it would sometimes drop to 90 or 70 but thats fine, even sometimes drops to 55 then i start to worry.

I also noticed that when playing bf3 my cpu usage goes to 89%, now I dont know if thats a good or bad thing. The only programs I have open is Origin, Teamspeak, battlelog, Gpu Tweak and Catalyst Control Center.

Any help would be really appreciated guys, I didnt pay R8300 to only be able to play the game on medium and still get graphic lag, I really want to fix this.

First erase ALL the "free software you put in your computer." It's garbage.
Then turn off the antivirus and firewall. MAKE SURE all security is OFF.
Set the bios to boot DVD drive first.
Put the win 7 disk in the drive and start the computer
select upgrade
this reloads the OS and reconfigures the hardware to the processor.
You MUST reconfigure.
The reload does not erase your personal files and programs, it's UPGRADE mode. It DOES reload the operating system, and detects hardware changes, and reconfigures accordingly.

Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...

NOW finally, DO NOT download "free" fix it tools from the internet NEVER!
DO NOT use free security from the internet. DO NOT install any software that claims it will
"fix, speed up, or clean" your computer. IT'S A SCAM.

Use ONLY a professional, all in one security system. NOT mismatched security downloaded free from the internet.
The security should have "GAME MODE." or it will SLOW DOWN your video and games.

DON't you get it?
The reason you are being offered "free" software, downloaded from the internet is because it's a TRICK. You are being scammed. Stop using this stuff and you will have MUCH LESS problems.
m
l
September 23, 2012 1:28:47 PM

ok sweet thx i'll try that now.
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:13:01 PM

soundguruman said:
That is really bad advice.
You should not be telling people to load junk like this into computers.
It's irresponsible.
The ONLY software you need to make it run correctly is the factory windows disk.

More than 80% of free software on the internet is FAKE. And, it is designed to steal your personal information and plant spyware in your system.
Really, really bad idea.

Whats so bad about Driver Fusion, I used it the other day, seems ok?
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:22:15 PM

I cant understand how i can play Arma Operation Arrowhead on high fine without any issues and then bf3 medium i get gpu lag WTF??
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:25:17 PM

How many fps do you get in BF3 on ultra?
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:40:46 PM

i also noticed than on op metro at A outside the game feels a bit laggy laggish :/ 
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:47:28 PM

Tbh those framerates seem fine to me. Are you sure its not screen tearing or something?

Is your monitor able to refresh above 60hz?
m
l
September 23, 2012 3:09:33 PM

paddys09 said:

You are sooooo gullible.
AND "seems to work fine" is a GREAT test.

Google has already warned you, 80% or more of these free "fix it" programs are FAKE.
But you know better.
m
l
September 23, 2012 3:47:18 PM

soundguruman said:
You are sooooo gullible.
AND "seems to work fine" is a GREAT test.

Google has already warned you, 80% or more of these free "fix it" programs are FAKE.
But you know better.

I wasn't being rhetorical, I was genuinely asking what is so malicious about this particular piece of software?

I would usually delete from the registry manually but I tried this program to see how useful it could be in helping people over the internet or phone as doing it manually can seem confusing to some... I saw No advertising, Spyware or anything. Maybe I missed something, thats why I was asking?

Google didn't warn me about anything.... I don't know about you but it doesn't talk to me or anything :??: 

Steam recommend it:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=580...

Are they in on it too?
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:00:49 PM

They want you to think that it's OK, and safe.
You fell for it.
Now that it's in there it may NEVER delete.

There is NOTHING that you need, except what is on the windows disk already.
There is NOTHING free that will fix and maintain your computer.
the free downloads are a scam, a sham, and a trick.

Stop playing with the registry.
If you want to delete a program, delete it from the program LIST in the control panel.
If you want to delete a driver, delete it in the device manager.

Windows maintains itself. It does not need any downloads free from the internet to function correctly.
Get over it.

Unless you LIKE screwing around endlessly, instead of USING the computer.
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:04:30 PM

soundguruman said:
You fell for it.

Unless he reformats
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:06:28 PM

soundguruman said:
You fell for it.

Are you high?
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:15:04 PM

Those frame rates are well above what is considered playable and lag free. My only guess is that it is either the monitor refresh rate not keeping up and thus you get apparently lagging gaming but frame rates stay high. The other option is that it is the internet connection causing the lag, this happens to me with TDU 2 even with frame rates in the 80+ it appears to lag. The other, less likely, option is controller lag. Make sure that all your controller's software is up to date. Unless you're using a generic keyboard then you should be in the clear. If you're using a wireless controller, try using the dongle closer. BTW you should only notice lag when frame rates dip below 60 and then its only like microstuttering. Real lag only happens below 40 FPS. Try using other games and keep a close eye on when you start to notice lag.
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:16:31 PM

No, I'm experienced.
Sooner or later you will realize this is TRUE.
However for you, it will be much much later.
You will keep loading this garbage, and you will keep fighting it, just about forever.

I think about 40% of the problems reported on Tom's hardware are caused by downloading free software.
It leaves the computer security full of holes.
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:25:27 PM

soundguruman said:
You fell for it.

There is NOTHING that you need, except what is on the windows disk already.
There is NOTHING free that will fix and maintain your computer.
the free downloads are a scam, a sham, and a trick.

Stop playing with the registry.
If you want to delete a program, delete it from the program LIST in the control panel.
If you want to delete a driver, delete it in the device manager.

Windows maintains itself. It does not need any downloads free from the internet to function correctly.
Get over it.

Unless you LIKE screwing around endlessly, instead of USING the computer.

This is exactly why people have issues with drivers, this method doesnt fully remove everything and alot of the time conflicts are due to left over registry files. the same applies for programs. I suggest you educate yourself a bit more before you make statements like that.

Your logic is seriously flawed, there are tons of free programs that are useful and perfectly safe.... Did you pay for the browser that you are using to post this utter crap?
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:33:05 PM

Well, I take that back, you should download the drivers from the manufacturers websites, and they are free.

But my browser did not promise to fix, clean, speed up, scan for problems, or "sweep" my computer.
That's what I'm trying to WARN you guys about.

It's the fake "fix it" tools that automatically "correct" your system.
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:40:14 PM

The way I see it both of you have a valid point. Yes, there are free programs that are helpful. MSI afterburner promises to speed up your GPU and it's not a virus. But there are also scams, those things that claim you have won an iphone :p  The trick is to find the ones that are helpful and leave that ones that aren't. But not downloading any freeware isn't the solution and downloading all free is also not the solution. However, this is not what the OP asked about, he asked why he is seemingly getting lag....
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:50:57 PM

Look, I see where you are coming from... Theres alot of malicious software on the Internet...

But you cannot condemn everything you see based on the rule that its free and is used to help maintain your computer. There are many decent free anti virus Programs out there too.....

I don't believe Driver Fusion is a danger to anyone... Its not the way I would do it but if it helps inexperienced users then great! Prove me wrong!

Anyways We have dirtied this thread enough.... Back to topic....

+1 to bigbasedrum's OP and his second for that matter

m
l
September 23, 2012 5:48:31 PM

Silencerzz said:

Old specs:
6GB RAM
ASUS GTX560TI 1GB
500W psu

i5 3570k 3.40 GHz
800W Corsair psu
8GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
HD 7950 graphic card

and after that, I want you to do this:
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF.

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

m
l
September 24, 2012 2:32:11 PM

do you guys think it can be my hard drive?
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:00:27 PM

I doubt it... what is the resfresh rate of your monitor? 60fps+ is not lagging
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:03:12 PM

refresh rate is 69mhz
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:04:17 PM

well when i play metro and im out side at A looking into their spawn, thats area there my fps was like 90 then it would drop to 49-59 or 60-65 then it lags a bit.
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:07:52 PM

Enable Vsync
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:10:11 PM

already tried that and still get stuttering :/ 
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:15:36 PM

Well you should have it enabled all the time anyway.... 160fps on a 60hz monitor will look awful.

Do the framerates suddenly drop? if you play it with the settings on medium and Vsync enabled you should be getting 60fps constantly...

Multiplayer BF3 can be a bit hit or miss depending on other factors..

m
l
September 24, 2012 9:01:12 PM

paddys09 said:

Alot of people is subjective which is why we get so many mixed answers..
m
l
September 24, 2012 9:57:58 PM

determinologyz said:
Alot of people is subjective which is why we get so many mixed answers..

I don't understand your response
m
l
September 24, 2012 10:06:59 PM

paddys09 said:
I don't understand your response

We get alot of mixed answers..People say drive fusion is bad when me and alot of others dont think it is..Infact i need to use it to clean out some drivers my self
m
l
September 24, 2012 10:11:50 PM

I never use it myself but i see it recommended on lots of forums... Im just wondering what the issue with it is...

I just wish I could get one person to tell me whats wrong with it....

m
l
September 24, 2012 10:14:19 PM

paddys09 said:
I never use it myself but i see it recommended on lots of forums... Im just wondering what the issue with it is...

I just wish I could get one person to tell me whats wrong with it....

Nothing is wrong with it i think even evga recommends it when theres a problem dont know bout ati since i never use their cards and its posted on toms alot and its a popular forum
m
l
September 24, 2012 10:21:52 PM

It wasn't even me that recommended it. I was basically just defending the company that produces it because soundguruman said it would wreck the OP's computer...

I dont think its fair when people try to ruin the reputation of a product when they know nothing about it....then blabber on about how experienced they are...

Tbh I should have just left it.... but he start whining about how gullible and inexperienced I was... Just didnt appreciate his attitude...
m
l
!