Sign in with
Your question

I need advice on what to upgrade for games to run smoother

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2012 2:21:19 PM

Hi, my friend wants to upgrade his rig, and is unsure which part it is that needs to be replaced, gpu or cpu to increase performance.

He gets stuttering in certain areas, with much going on at once. the fps drops from 60 to 30-40, in games like Hitman absolution sniper challenge when viewing the big skyscraper.

Cpu: amd phenom ii x6 1100t black edition

Gpu: Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1...

Any ideas of what the "bottleneck" could be?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2012 3:49:38 PM

how much RAM?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2012 3:51:39 PM

One thing to make sure of is you have enough RAM to fit the game and it is not going to your page file (disk). If you have 4GB you should..... be ok, but sometimes if you have alot going on in the back group it could cause weird studdering as the game is also loaded into your page file. Just something to check. If you have 6 or 8 GB you are probably ok.

However, typically it is due to your video card. I would suggest turning down your graphic settings to accommodate your GPU speed. Some games hit your system harder when they get into wide open scenes with a lot going or or dust, debris, shadows, etc. A GTX560Ti is still a very capable card.

There are also some games that do not run as well on the older CPU architectures. Not saying the Phenom II is old, but some games just run better on the newer CPU's and typically favor Intel. However, like I said there are only a few that do this and should not really vouch for needing to upgrade your CPU and consequently your motherboard as well. As mentioned before, a Video card upgrade is typically the area to upgrade for increased graphics settings and better frame rates. You can also always try your hand at overclocking your GPU. It should have some headroom to increase performance.
!