Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$600 Gaming Build Opinion

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 18, 2012 5:45:41 PM

This is a build for my friend who is going to be gaming along with some video encoding.

AMD FX-6300 6 core AM3+ CPU ($129.99) (-$40 bundle offer)
http://microcenter.com/product/401797/FX_6300_Black_Edi...
CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler ($29.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/373900/Hyper_212_EVO_Uni...
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard ($97.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/398235/M5A97_R20_Socket_...
HIS Radeon HD 7850 IceQ X 2GB ($219.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/387843/H785QN2G2M_Radeon...
Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB DDR3 ($39.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/360527/HyperX_blu_8GB_DD...(PC3-12800)_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_(Two_4GB_Memory_Modules)
WD 500GB HDD ($59.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/347353/Caviar_Blue_500GB...
Antec VP450 ($34.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/369035/Basiq_Series_VP45...
MSI Barricade Mid Tower ($59.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/396522/Interceptor_Serie...
LG DVD Burner ($15.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/401744/24x_SATA_Internal...

Total = $648.91($45 mail in rebate)

Any opinions appreciated.
All parts must come from a walk in store, cannot be online (ie newegg).
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 8:35:18 PM

Looking good so far
Are you gonna be overclocking? What's your budget? Do you need OS? Do you wanna stay with AMD or maybe see intel build too?
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 8:50:46 PM

butremor said:
Looking good so far
Are you gonna be overclocking? What's your budget? Do you need OS? Do you wanna stay with AMD or maybe see intel build too?


budget is about 600
m
0
l
Related resources
November 18, 2012 8:52:06 PM

butremor said:
Looking good so far
Are you gonna be overclocking? What's your budget? Do you need OS? Do you wanna stay with AMD or maybe see intel build too?


Overclocking = yes
$600
No OS
Doesn't matter. I just picked AMD for this because he's going to be video encoding.
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 8:53:31 PM

It looks good.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 9:05:22 PM

Yeah, AMD is kinda better for video editing purpose
Here goes build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $609.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 18:03 EST-0500)
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 9:16:48 PM

butremor said:
Yeah, AMD is kinda better for video editing purpose
Here goes build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $609.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 18:03 EST-0500)


Isn't that like the same thing as mine?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 9:33:32 PM

Another mobo, just as good.
Anonther ram. but kingston is just as good. so that's your choice.
More reliable PSU (80 plus bronze)
You can change case i just had it there listed by default but it's quite good for its price
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 9:58:44 PM

butremor said:
Another mobo, just as good.
Anonther ram. but kingston is just as good. so that's your choice.
More reliable PSU (80 plus bronze)
You can change case i just had it there listed by default but it's quite good for its price


This PSU is actually amazing. 80+, excellent regulation, goes up to 550w
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2012 10:22:19 PM

Huh, well okay. Antec is good maker too.
Share
November 20, 2012 2:09:08 PM

Best answer selected by samuelspark.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 20, 2012 2:46:05 PM

Core i5 3470 3.2GHz $149.99
http://microcenter.com/product/400664/Core_i5_3470_32GH...

ASRock Z77 Pro3 $$94.99
http://microcenter.com/product/387627/Z77_Pro3_1155_ATX...

Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 $42.99
http://microcenter.com/product/354611/Vengeance_Series_...(PC3-12800)_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_(Two_4GB_Memory_Modules)

Gigabyte GV-R785OC-2GD $199.99
http://microcenter.com/product/387395/GV-R785OC-2GD_AMD...

WD 500GB HDD ($54.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/375688/Caviar_Blue_500GB...

Antec VP450 ($34.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/369 [...] wer_Supply

Zalman Z9 $39.99
http://microcenter.com/product/355148/Z9_ATX_Mid_Tower_...

LG DVD Burner ($15.99)
http://microcenter.com/product/401 [...] Bare_Drive


Total : 632.92 $
m
0
l
!