Best course of action for upgrade

Current specs:
P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
1 Gig Ram
Geforce 6200 128megs Ram unlocked to 8 pixel pipelines (pushing 6600 speeds)

I can upgrade one of the following right now (prices are about the same):

P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB
OR
2 Gigs Ram

Which would you choose?

BF2 Upgrade wrote:
> Current specs:
> P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> 1 Gig Ram
> Geforce 6200 128megs Ram unlocked to 8 pixel pipelines (pushing 6600 speeds)
>
> I can upgrade one of the following right now (prices are about the same):
>
> P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> OR
> 2 Gigs Ram
>
> Which would you choose?

It is worth noting that the more RAM you have, the worse performance you
get from your CPU cache. If you are consistently using more than 1 GB
of RAM, I would get more since your page file will probably be the
bottleneck. Otherwise, I would have to go with the faster processor.

-- Stine

"BF2 Upgrade" <mikman2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Current specs:
> P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> 1 Gig Ram
> Geforce 6200 128megs Ram unlocked to 8 pixel pipelines (pushing 6600
speeds)

> I can upgrade one of the following right now (prices are about the same):
>
> P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> OR
> 2 Gigs Ram
>
> Which would you choose?

definately the new CPU. 2 gig of ram will not speed up your system for games
at all. infact it might even slow it down because all that ram has to be
addressed.

definately go the cpu.

"Nathan A. Stine" <"nathan [dot] stine [at] speakeasy [dot] net"> wrote in
message news:jtKdnaMl39BMpCffRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
> BF2 Upgrade wrote:
> > Current specs:
> > P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> > 1 Gig Ram
> > Geforce 6200 128megs Ram unlocked to 8 pixel pipelines (pushing 6600
speeds)

> > I can upgrade one of the following right now (prices are about the
same):

> > P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> > OR
> > 2 Gigs Ram
> >
> > Which would you choose?
> >

> It is worth noting that the more RAM you have, the worse performance you
> get from your CPU cache. If you are consistently using more than 1 GB
> of RAM, I would get more since your page file will probably be the
> bottleneck. Otherwise, I would have to go with the faster processor.
>
> -- Stine

since he is most likely upgrading for BF2, he is most likely upgrading for
sole purpose of playing games. no game uses more than a gig of ram at the
moment.

Bzzt! Problem.

The proccessor that most likely will be upgraded will need faster
running ram.
Probably using PC2100 Ram with current proccessor. A P4 or AMD (3000+
version) will need PC3200 Ram. Upgrading a new CPU will also require a
new Motherboard. (This is of course if your motherboard cannot support
the new CPU/RAM)

Unfortunately, you upgrade one thing that deals with your motherboard,
you most likely have to upgrade it all. :(

The video card on the otherhand will be fine, but not at all HIGH
settings.

--
Bad_Driver

[image:
http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/image.php?u=8&type=siguploader&dateline=1119251975]
Bad_Driver's Profile: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/member.php?userid=8
View this thread: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885

Rams cheap...surely ( dont call me shirly!! :mad: lol love that movie)
U can get the cpu and sell the old or somthing and buy new ram.....$60
for 512?

--
jackw89

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/jackfw89er/JACKS.gif]
[image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/jackfw89er/OrionsBurningMan.gif]
:cool:
jackw89's Profile: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/member.php?userid=10
View this thread: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885

"BF2 Upgrade" <mikman2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Current specs:
> P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> 1 Gig Ram
> Geforce 6200 128megs Ram unlocked to 8 pixel pipelines (pushing 6600
> speeds)
>
> I can upgrade one of the following right now (prices are about the same):
>
> P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> OR
> 2 Gigs Ram
>
> Which would you choose?

Neither, get a vid card with 256MB so you can run full textures. IMO you
won't see a huge jump in BF2 performance form 1GB to 2GB ram.

-JLT

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:40:13 +1000, "Paul Good"
<Paul.Good@telstrawholesale.com> wrote:

>since he is most likely upgrading for BF2, he is most likely upgrading for
>sole purpose of playing games. no game uses more than a gig of ram at the
>moment.

Well BF2 appears to have changed this, much like previous BF games
did.

Bf2 is the first game that has broken the 1gb barrier on my systerm.
The first day I got it, I noticed it was using about 1.4gb (swapping
heavily). Last night I switched down to medium textures, and found
that I could play for about 45 mins without exceeding 1gb and swapping
to disk. After a couple of hours, I was up to about 1.1gb using only
medium textures.

Granted, being a programmer I may have more other processes running on
my system than the typical user, and my commit charge upon booting is
probably close to 290meg... but my experiment with BF2 tells me that
the longer you play, the more RAM hungry it gets (cached textures I
assume).

Needless to say, I ordered another GB of RAM from crucial. $130 and
they threw in a free copy of FarCry. 553mhz DDR2 is cheap! If I
still had that damn RDRAM machine I had, it would have cost me $600 to
upgrade.

I guess I should clarify a few things:

BF2 currently runs nice on medium settings with a few of the options moved
up a notch or two. It gets a bit choppy when the drive starts to access or
when in a heated battle.

Also currently my Ram is 4 X 256 PC3200, my mobo is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe

I still think my page file is being hit way too much. I see the hard drive
light flashing out of the corner of my eye quite a bit when the game
stutters... Anyhow I thought the Ram, but the concensus seems to be either
CPU or video card...

Thanks for the replies regardless, gives me more input to think about.

"Bad_Driver" <Bad_Driver.1r2g01@no-mx.mhogaming.com> wrote in message

> Bzzt! Problem.
>
> The proccessor that most likely will be upgraded will need faster
> running ram.
> Probably using PC2100 Ram with current proccessor. A P4 or AMD (3000+
> version) will need PC3200 Ram. Upgrading a new CPU will also require a
> new Motherboard. (This is of course if your motherboard cannot support
> the new CPU/RAM)
>
> Unfortunately, you upgrade one thing that deals with your motherboard,
> you most likely have to upgrade it all. :(
>
> The video card on the otherhand will be fine, but not at all HIGH
> settings.
>

> --
> Bad_Driver
>
> [image:

http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/image.php?u=8&type=siguploader&dateline=1119
251975]
> Bad_Driver's Profile: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/member.php?userid=8
> View this thread: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885

My motherboard, an Abit IS7 would support his chip and a 3.2 GHZ chip. I'd
say he would be running 400mhz ram or 366mhz. I don't see a huge problem
here.

he has an AGP video card and buying a new motherboard would almost certainly
mean buying PCI-E. so that would mean a new card as well.

I think he should be able to upgrade the processor without anything else
being upgraded.

"JLT2005" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

> "BF2 Upgrade" <mikman2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Current specs:
> > P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> > 1 Gig Ram
> > Geforce 6200 128megs Ram unlocked to 8 pixel pipelines (pushing 6600
> > speeds)
> >
> > I can upgrade one of the following right now (prices are about the
same):

> > P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB
> > OR
> > 2 Gigs Ram
> >
> > Which would you choose?
> >

> Neither, get a vid card with 256MB so you can run full textures. IMO you
> won't see a huge jump in BF2 performance form 1GB to 2GB ram.
>
> -JLT

there will be no jump at all I'm afraid. it may even slow down a tiny bit.
2gig of ram is for stat whores who really don't know the best way to spend
their money.

BF2 Upgrade wrote:
> I guess I should clarify a few things:
>
> BF2 currently runs nice on medium settings with a few of the options moved
> up a notch or two. It gets a bit choppy when the drive starts to access or
> when in a heated battle.
>
> Also currently my Ram is 4 X 256 PC3200, my mobo is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>
> I still think my page file is being hit way too much. I see the hard drive
> light flashing out of the corner of my eye quite a bit when the game
> stutters... Anyhow I thought the Ram, but the concensus seems to be either
> CPU or video card...
>
> Thanks for the replies regardless, gives me more input to think about.

In addition to my previous reccomendations, you might want to play BF2
for a while and then check your commit charge. If it is over 1GB, then
you either need to start killing other programs you have running in the
background or get more RAM.

You might also wish to try to minimize use of your swap file. Type in
'msconfig' in the run menu and check your 'system.ini' settings. Look
under 386enh and add the line "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" if it isn't
there. Supposedly, it waits until your RAM is completely used before it
swaps to the drive. It seems to have helped for me.

-- Stine

"Nathan A. Stine" <"nathan [dot] stine [at] speakeasy [dot] net"> wrote in
message news:m8udney_7pwDlSHfRVn-ow@speakeasy.net...
> BF2 Upgrade wrote:
>> I guess I should clarify a few things:
>>
>> BF2 currently runs nice on medium settings with a few of the options
>> moved up a notch or two. It gets a bit choppy when the drive starts to
>> access or when in a heated battle.
>>
>> Also currently my Ram is 4 X 256 PC3200, my mobo is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>>
>> I still think my page file is being hit way too much. I see the hard
>> drive light flashing out of the corner of my eye quite a bit when the
>> game stutters... Anyhow I thought the Ram, but the concensus seems to be
>> either CPU or video card...
>>
>> Thanks for the replies regardless, gives me more input to think about.
>>

> In addition to my previous reccomendations, you might want to play BF2 for
> a while and then check your commit charge. If it is over 1GB, then you
> either need to start killing other programs you have running in the
> background or get more RAM.
>
> You might also wish to try to minimize use of your swap file. Type in
> 'msconfig' in the run menu and check your 'system.ini' settings. Look
> under 386enh and add the line "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" if it isn't
> there. Supposedly, it waits until your RAM is completely used before it
> swaps to the drive. It seems to have helped for me.
>
> -- Stine

How do I check the commit charge (or is is change?). Thanks for the tips.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:20:44 +1000, "Paul Good"
<Paul.Good@telstrawholesale.com> wrote:

>there will be no jump at all I'm afraid. it may even slow down a tiny bit.
>2gig of ram is for stat whores who really don't know the best way to spend
>their money.

What a moronic paragraph from every angle.

While it is true that you will not see a "jump" in performance by
upgrading to 2gb of RAM, the upgrade will prevent page file usage on
most PCs which can make the difference between smooth gameplay and
choppy gameplay. A person that wants a "jump" in automobile
performance might add a nitrous oxide tank to their hotrod, but it
will do little good if you are running on a flat tire. Pagefile
swapping is the PC equivilent of running on a flat tire.

If, in fact a person is exceeding their physical RAM while playing
games, upgrading to 2gb is probably the most cost effective upgrade a
person can make. 1gb cost me about $130 for DDR2-533..a processor or
vid card upgrade would cost much more.

And please explain to me what stat whoring has to do with any of this.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:43:59 GMT, "BF2 Upgrade" <mikman2@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Nathan A. Stine" <"nathan [dot] stine [at] speakeasy [dot] net"> wrote in
>message news:m8udney_7pwDlSHfRVn-ow@speakeasy.net...
>> BF2 Upgrade wrote:
>>> I guess I should clarify a few things:
>>>
>>> BF2 currently runs nice on medium settings with a few of the options
>>> moved up a notch or two. It gets a bit choppy when the drive starts to
>>> access or when in a heated battle.
>>>
>>> Also currently my Ram is 4 X 256 PC3200, my mobo is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>>>
>>> I still think my page file is being hit way too much. I see the hard
>>> drive light flashing out of the corner of my eye quite a bit when the
>>> game stutters... Anyhow I thought the Ram, but the concensus seems to be
>>> either CPU or video card...
>>>
>>> Thanks for the replies regardless, gives me more input to think about.
>>>

>> In addition to my previous reccomendations, you might want to play BF2 for
>> a while and then check your commit charge. If it is over 1GB, then you
>> either need to start killing other programs you have running in the
>> background or get more RAM.
>>
>> You might also wish to try to minimize use of your swap file. Type in
>> 'msconfig' in the run menu and check your 'system.ini' settings. Look
>> under 386enh and add the line "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" if it isn't
>> there. Supposedly, it waits until your RAM is completely used before it
>> swaps to the drive. It seems to have helped for me.
>>
>> -- Stine
>
>How do I check the commit charge (or is is change?). Thanks for the tips.

Right click your task bar. Select Task Manager. Click Performance
tab. Compare the Peak value under Commit Charge section to the Total
value under the Physical Memory section. If the Peak value is
greater, it means you ran out of RAM and XP was forced to swap to
disk. You would benefit from more RAM.

"Litten Peeps" <darthknee@groin.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:43:59 GMT, "BF2 Upgrade" <mikman2@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Nathan A. Stine" <"nathan [dot] stine [at] speakeasy [dot] net"> wrote in
>>message news:m8udney_7pwDlSHfRVn-ow@speakeasy.net...

>>> In addition to my previous reccomendations, you might want to play BF2
>>> for
>>> a while and then check your commit charge. If it is over 1GB, then you
>>> either need to start killing other programs you have running in the
>>> background or get more RAM.
>>>
>>> You might also wish to try to minimize use of your swap file. Type in
>>> 'msconfig' in the run menu and check your 'system.ini' settings. Look
>>> under 386enh and add the line "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" if it isn't
>>> there. Supposedly, it waits until your RAM is completely used before it
>>> swaps to the drive. It seems to have helped for me.
>>>
>>> -- Stine
>>
>>How do I check the commit charge (or is is change?). Thanks for the tips.
>>
> Right click your task bar. Select Task Manager. Click Performance
> tab. Compare the Peak value under Commit Charge section to the Total
> value under the Physical Memory section. If the Peak value is
> greater, it means you ran out of RAM and XP was forced to swap to
> disk. You would benefit from more RAM.

Interestingly enough I do pass the total value by a few thousand bytes
:-( I guess either I kill some runnign tasks when I or upgrade my memory.

Thanks for the help on that.