$1100 Gaming Build (Needs Tweaking Advice!)

CanisNoctis

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I have never built a PC before. This is going to be used primarily for gaming. I am buying a monitor, OS, Mouse, and Keyboard. Not really interested in suggestions for mouse or keyboard.

Things I need help with:
-How will my cooling be with the Case I have? Do I need any extra fans? Will the noise be too much?
-Would it be worth buying an SSD along with the HDD I have setup now? Or any other combination of the two?
-How's the RAM? I'm not too familiar with this area..
-Monitor. The size of this one is nice to me, and the built in speakers too. But is it all good enough?
-Any other suggestions?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oeXP

Thanks!!

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Well site itself says "Compatibility Notes
ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."
So you're better off changing case that has 3.0 on it.
Extra fans are not exactly needed, but you can buy one to exhaust air from case.
RAM is good,but that HDD i would change, to Western Digital.
Oh and that PSU...meh... Get a quality PSU from Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Corsair or PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone. 80 Plus bronze not less 500 -550w fine

CanisNoctis

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

I noticed that compatibility problem, but I don't really mind. I have never needed USB 3.0 ports before, and so I don't really mind not using these ones.

Where would I put the exhaust on the case? Side, top, or rear? And would there be room?

Why change the HDD?

And the PSU I'm not too interested in changing. I need one that can get the job done, efficiency (especially in the single percent digits) doesn't mind me.

Clayman1000x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012

Doesn't the USB 3.0 and 2.0 have backward compatibility, I don't have a need for the 3.0 either but I thought they would work with whatever the motherboard had.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Not having USB 3 ports is fine, they are slightly faster but for things like external hard drives for media your not going to notice a significant difference, an x-port drive is really what makes a significant difference in transfer speed.
Hitachi doesn't have a great reputation since there was a class action lawsuit filed against them in the early 2000's because of the reliability of their HDD's western digital is a good brand I've had my 2.5 tb for a few years now, wiped it several times when moving it to a new computer, and it's still in good health.
If your spending 1100 already toss in another 60 for a ssd makes a huge difference.
everything else is fine, the ram is more than enough and its better just to put it in 2 channel mode so all you need is 2 sticks. You picked out a chinese firecracker for a PSU, your going to have to spend a little more cash, keep in mind that they do degrade overtime. That being said 600 watt's is fine for your system even for overclocking since both the gpu and cpu are extremely efficient power wise, but in the range of 60-90 dollars would be a little safer, get modular one if you can.