EVGA GTX 660 Ti or EVGA GTX 560 Ti

eternalrz

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I want to know which I should go with between the two. Either The EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti or the 660 Ti. The main difference that I see is that the GTX 560 Ti is 256 bits while the 660 Ti is 192 bits. Though I'm not sure which would be better or worse considering that the 660 is newer. So I need some input here that would suggest which one I'd be better of going with. Yes, I game, but I'm not crazy about quality, I just want as little lag as possible, hence I play games on all default settings. So based on what I'm upgrading from, which would be a better option to upgrade to?

- I'm upgrading from a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1 GB and it's 256 bits.
- Not looking for other options.
- Don't suggest any other video cards.
- Both video cards are 2GB.

Thanks!

The 660 Ti 2GB is effectively a 1.5GB model (that last .5GB runs at one third of the memory bandwidth of the rest and the full memory bandwidth is already too low, so that's quite crippling) with a .5GB crutch between it and a total memory capacity bottle-neck. Why aren't the Radeon 7850, the Radeon 7870, and the Radeon 7950 options? The 7850 is generally somewhat superior to the similarly priced 560 Ti in performance while using much less power and the 7950 can be greatly superior to the 660 Ti while using similar amounts of power, especially when you use heavy AA and tessellation to make use of such high performance in 1080p and lower resolutions. If you want a Nvidia card here, then I'd recommend getting the regular GTX 660 instead of the GTX 660 Ti. It has similar performance at a lower price and significantly lower power consumption.

eternalrz

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I'm not taking any ATI options since I've never really had any good experiences with them. I've always been an Nvidia person. Secondly I'm not looking for parts that can (keyword: can) be superior. That would imply overclocking which I'm not about to do. Are you sure that the 660 Ti is a 1.5GB model? Kind of a potential lawsuit waiting to happen for false advertising no?

drums101

Distinguished
the 660ti is a better card not could be a better card but it IS a better card...if you are not taking any other suggestions just go with that. It WILL be faster than the 560ti

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

It's a 1536MiB+512MiB. There is 2048MiB of memory, but 512MiB of it runs at one third of the bandwidth of the rest of it. I'm not saying that you can't buy it, just that you should know what you;re buying. It is why a 3GiB model can be better than a 2GiB model with identical GPU and memory frequency even when utilizing less than 2GiB of memory, but more than about 1.5GiB. Nvidia uses some tricks to make this not hurt as much as it could, but it still hurts.

Good luck with your new card :)

TRENDING THREADS