Sign in with
Your question

Can I get another pair of eyes?

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2012 10:40:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I have never built a computer before, but I'm starting to familiarise myself with the components and I would like to start my first build. Fortunately I have $1500 to Newegg, so that's my budget. I put this build together, with the intent of it being able to realistically handle any game I throw into it. So, if someone would be so kind as to check over my list I'd really appreciate it. I will certainly appreciate any tips and suggestions. Hopefully I didn't leave anything out!

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

Thanks!

More about : pair eyes

November 18, 2012 11:11:50 PM

Hi,

Just a heads up, the link you provided does not work.
m
l
November 18, 2012 11:44:01 PM

The link does not work, but I would like to help you!
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2012 12:11:57 AM
November 19, 2012 12:22:00 AM

Case: Raidmax isn't known for quality, but I doubt they would screw up on a case. Its more personal preference anyways, so if you like the design stick with it.

PSU: That is a lot more than the 7970 requires, could save yourself some money by going with a lower wattage.

CPU: Go with the i5-3570K, you won't regret it, the i7-3820 or any of the sandybridge-E processors doesn't show big difference in FPS.

GPU: The best 7970 is the ASUS Matrix if you overclock it IIRC, but I know Sapphire and XFX make good onces as well.

Optical Drive: Don't waste your money on a blue-ray player! Get a cheap LG optical drive. With cloud streaming HD is easy, no need to spend more than $20 anymore.

HDD: Buy this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv... @$49.99 1TB it is a great value.

Also get an SSD for your operating system! ( Samsung 840 pro is the fastest right now )

RAM: Please don't waste money on 16GB of RAM, the most memory I have ever seen used by a game is by witcher 2 and it used just over 5GB ( with ubersampling ). Buy 8GB of DDR3 1.6GHz

MOBO: I would look around the motherboard forum and decide what features you like best.

Hope I could help.
m
l
November 19, 2012 12:43:44 AM

^ good anwser
m
l
November 19, 2012 12:54:35 AM

^^Nuff said.
m
l
November 19, 2012 1:23:35 AM

Thomas Creel said:
Case: Raidmax isn't known for quality, but I doubt they would screw up on a case. Its more personal preference anyways, so if you like the design stick with it.

PSU: That is a lot more than the 7970 requires, could save yourself some money by going with a lower wattage.

CPU: Go with the i5-3570K, you won't regret it, the i7-3820 or any of the sandybridge-E processors doesn't show big difference in FPS.

GPU: The best 7970 is the ASUS Matrix if you overclock it IIRC, but I know Sapphire and XFX make good onces as well.

Optical Drive: Don't waste your money on a blue-ray player! Get a cheap LG optical drive. With cloud streaming HD is easy, no need to spend more than $20 anymore.

HDD: Buy this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv... @$49.99 1TB it is a great value.

Also get an SSD for your operating system! ( Samsung 840 pro is the fastest right now )

RAM: Please don't waste money on 16GB of RAM, the most memory I have ever seen used by a game is by witcher 2 and it used just over 5GB ( with ubersampling ). Buy 8GB of DDR3 1.6GHz

MOBO: I would look around the motherboard forum and decide what features you like best.

Hope I could help.

Thanks for the reply. I'll certainly take that advice. So 16GB of RAM is just overkill? What are things to consider when choosing a motherboard? And what noticeable differences are there between the i73820 and the i5-3570k if any? Is there any other items that I'm missing for a complete build?
m
l
November 19, 2012 1:57:38 AM

The difference between a 3820 and a I5 is Hyper threading. I7's have hyper threading.... I5's don't and to be honest for gaming you could get a 2700K or 3770K and not need 2011 for gaming. and as others says for a 7970 I'd say a good 650 watt power supply would be enough for the job. I would get a ASUS 7970 or a XFX as others suggested. I've just had better experience with them over Gigabyte
m
l
November 19, 2012 2:28:07 AM

Here is a direct comparison between the i7-3820 and the i5-3570K

Core clocks: i7-3820 is 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) / i5-3570K is 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
L3 Cache: i7-3820 has 10MB / i5-3570K has 6MB
Hyperthreading: i7 has it / i5 doesn't

Those are all the important differences as far as I am concerned. When choosing a motherboard for the i5-3570K things to look out for are the Z77 chipset, good integrated audio chipset, # of SATA III ports, memory clock compatibility, # of PCIe x16 slots ( If you plan on xfire/sli in future ). Also, for me at least, I like to choose a motherboard that fits my builds color scheme :D 

The only thing you are missing is the Operating system ( Which I'm sure you already have all that figured out ;)  ), and the CPU cooler. If you are taking advantage of overclocking ( I hope you are! ) I suggest the Noctua NH-D14, but at $80 you might find it better to go with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
m
l
November 19, 2012 5:49:32 AM

Thomas, thanks for your input, I'm using it for a build I'm working on. A few questions though:

The HDD you suggest is out of stock. Easy enough to change, though.

The ASUS Matrix 7970 is out of stock as well. I don't know enough to determine if it would be better to wait, or pick a different 7970 model, or manufacturer.

Here is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oiZK
Without a HDD or GPU.

For a PSU, how does this one look? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's not on pcpartpicker for some reason.
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:17:22 AM

I didn't notice that the HDD and GPU I had recommended were out of stock, probably because people caught on how great they both were.

I edited your build, but it is quite expensive, you didn't list any budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.40 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G300 Wired Optical Mouse ($30.57 @ Amazon)
Total: $1106.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The Vapor-X is my second favorite GPU ( Behind my own GPU - ASUS HD7770-DCT-1GD5, love it for it's low profile ) it will do you good if you buy it.
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:35:13 AM

Thomas Creel said:
I didn't notice that the HDD and GPU I had recommended were out of stock, probably because people caught on how great they both were.

I edited your build, but it is quite expensive, you didn't list any budget.

The Vapor-X is my second favorite GPU ( Behind my own GPU - ASUS HD7770-DCT-1GD5, love it for it's low profile ) it will do you good if you buy it.

Thanks for the updated build.

As far as budget goes, it could really go higher or lower. I'm looking to build a solid gaming rig that will last me several years as my current PC has. I play a lot of different games like Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3, Arma 2, and Borderlands 2. I've managed so far with turning settings down a lot but it's getting to the point where I want to upgrade. I want to play Planetside 2 which launches this week, but I did not get the opportunity to see how it handles during the beta. I'm pretty sure I will not be able to run it very well at all.

I also want to livestream gameplay. I could use my current system with a capture card hooked up to the new one, but if the new one can handle it itself, it would be easier to do.

Edit: I see the PSU you linked is lower priced, but should I be concerned with one that is modular?
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:07:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's getting good information and advice as well, so thank you for that I appreciate it.

I have an OS ready to go for my build, but I thought that a CPU cooler came with the CPU, am I mistaken? Also, concerning the case, I'm big on the design of the original one I picked out. Are cases generally just for aesthetic purposes or do they provide essential features that I need to be aware of (ie, cooling etc.) Also will I have trouble fitting all of my hardware in such a case?

Like I said, I have ~$1500 to Newegg, so that's my preferred place to shop as of now, and I'm not really looking to hold back on spending it all, so there's not much need for my to try to save this; it's all going to the same place anyway. That's sort of why I picked out the i7 CPU over the i5; if I can have it, why not take it?

I appreciate all of your input!
m
l
November 19, 2012 3:23:58 PM

Yes I have learned a lot here and in other threads so far. Let me see if I can help out a little with what I've read.

I was about to say that the CPU should come with a standard heatsink and fan, but looking at the one you first linked it actually says it is chip only.

If you were planning to overclock then you would want an aftermarket cooling solution, but if you go with that CPU, it seems you will need one anyway.

I've seen posted in a lot of threads that i5 is more than adequate for gaming. i7s with their hyper threading are better for video editing or Photoshop type work. That said, there was one thread where they talked about how Minecraft is optimized to use something like 16 cores, but anyways, you'd have to do some searching online to find out if any games you play would take advantage of an i7.

As far as the case goes, I agree with what Thomas posted above. Pick something you like, as long as it is large enough for your parts and you have adequate cooling. I will say though, your taste differs a lot from mine. :) 

Edit: If you are set on spending your whole $1500 credit at Newegg you could probably get an amazing i5 setup with dual GPUs. Do you have a good monitor already?
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:52:41 PM

I do some photoshop work as well, although not quite as much as I used to I'd still like to have a system optimized for really anything. What is the purpose of having 2 GPU's? Is it like a stacked effect? Thanks for the heads up on the CPU cooling!

Edit: When choosing a motherboard, is there a preference between USB BIOS or UEFI?
m
l
November 20, 2012 1:37:49 AM

UEFI is just a lot easier to navigate through. i5 is very good for photoshop too, people don't seem to understand how great these chips all are. Minecraft does not take advantage of 16 cores, thats obsurd. 2 GPUS in XFIRE/SLI doesn't mean 2 times as much power the software isnt good enough for that yet but it does give a substantial increase in frame rates, the build I listed can handle anything at 1920x1080 with ease even at maximum settings.
m
l
November 20, 2012 2:05:54 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/370945-31-building-ga...

Here is that thread Thomas with the Minecraft thing. It started as a discussion of i5 or i7 for a gaming rig.

Thanks again for the help. I ordered the new rig and it looks like it will come Tuesday, er tomorrow, or Wednesday at the latest. I like being close to Newegg.

I'll be around asking questions about what to put on SSDs as well as learning how to overclock.

Edit: Sorry, gotta. I don't know that I would describe 2 GPUs as a stacked effect. It would depend on how you use them. For example, 2 would really shine if you were running a 3 monitor setup and having them render a game on all 3 at once for a huge viewing area.

Here's an example with Battlefield 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovm7XBtaQAM

If you aren't interested in running more than one screen for gameplay then you will likely be fine with one GPU.
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:17:56 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. I'll have a nice i5 gaming rig coming soon. Thanks for all the help Thomas, and Fenric.
m
l
!