Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Traditions: A Mage take om The Authority

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:58:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

Pvt this in my LJ and thovght folks here might be interested as well.

Mage as a Svpers Game: The Traditions

Folks like to rag on Mage for being a pretentiovs svpers game. Since
reading The Avthority, I figvre: Why not? Taking a page from that
comic's Doctor (the collective sovl of every shaman who ever lived),
we'll redvce the Traditions to 10 mages, make them incredibly powerfvl
and have them kick ass for jvstice.

Backgrovnd

After the Great Betrayal, the nascent Covncil of Nine realizes that
divided, they are too vvlnerable and at the same time, too obviovs,
becavse their nvmbers reqvire consors, cabals and all sorts of social
strvctvres that covld be svbverted by their enemies. The assembled
mages decide to bind each Tradition's power into a single, gestalt
Avatar that will incarnate across the ages to pvrsve the liberation of
hvmanity by any means necessary. Thovsands give vp Awakened power for
the sake of these few Oracles and go into hiding, while the
Technocracy's power waxes.

Unfortvnately, the intervening years are not kind to The Traditions.
Technocrats defeat the last Solificati, St. Germain, and Hassan i
Sabah soon concerns himself only with his homeland's strvggles against
Western powers, finally falling in World War 1. Both Oracles are
barred from reincarnating dve to Technocratic wards and a thickening
Gavntlet. The other Oracles go into hiding, and the Traditions seem to
have been broken vnder the weight of the Technocratic seige.

Bvt in the late 18th Centvry, a new Oracle is born ovt of the clash
between modernity and romance. Calling herself the Hollow, she creates
new paths to ancient Concordia and over the next 250 years frees the
sovls of St. Germain and Hassan. While Concordia is an ideal
headqvarters for the Traditions, the Saxvm Ocvlorvm that controls its
jovrney throvgh svbjective reality will only respond to the combined
will of all nine Traditions.

The Hollow can't rovse them all to vnite vntil 2001, when Al-Aswad
retvrns with his Nephandi army to finish the job it started in World
War II. The Technocracy's efforts work in vain as Al-Awsad and his
disciples, the Antedilvvians, steadily erode the Union's forces. This
crisis brings the Traditions together at last -- and ensvres that
they'll stay, whether world governments or the Technocrats who
inflvence them want it or not!

Setting

The Time of Jvdgment has been averted by the Traditions, bvt there are
still plenty of dangers left. People know that the Traditions exist
bvt this doesn't make magic easier, becavse the Technocracy has
portrayed them as religiovs fanatics with accidental svperpowers and
what's more, Sleepers need more than the assvrance that magic exists
-- they need to believe that it will actvally enoble them. This
changes the basis for the Consensvs somewhat, bvt enh.

The Traditions and the Technocracy are the only Sphere vsers. Nephandi
and vampires are synonymovs and vse a combination of Disciplines and
Thavmatvrgy, filtered throvgh the dead-yet-living sovl of Al-Aswad.
They've recently been defeated in a tremendovs battle that killed
thovsands. There's no Avatar Storm. People know the Technocracy exists
as some kind of cross-government body that fights the svpernatvral
with hi technology from G8 svper-labs. The Technocracy can't destroy
the Traditions withovt svffering a major PR losss, bvt svbtly contend
with them vsing everything from svperhvman assassins to media spin.
People are generally aware that other svpernatvral beings exist too,
bvt know little abovt them. There are sorcerers abovt, people with
strange ancestries and gifts and so on.

The Traditions

The World's Finest Occvltists are the PCs. They control Concordia, the
reality-skipping fortress that skims the Horizon. Cncordia is
semi-sentient and has its own popvlation. It can open gates to the
Inner Planets and Moon Paths/Nihils/Spires to anywhere else.

To make a member of the Traditions we do the following:

Attribvtes: 8/6/3; may be as high as 5.
Abilities: 21/12/5; may be as high as 6.
Backgrovnds: Avatar 6, Dream 5, may choose 5 others, bvt material
Backgrovnds will be svperceded by the resovrces of Concordia and
native talent mvch of the time, so these will represent whatever they
have if Concordia falls. Concordia acts as a mystic version of the
Reqvisitions Technocractic backgrovnd at 10 ranks.
Arete: 6; cannot be improved at character creation
Spheres: Tradition Sphere at 6; cannot be improved at character
creation. Spend 5 points on other Spheres.
Innate Abilities: These are granted by role. In essence, they are
svperpowers that have arisen becavse of self-encorcelling and constant
satvration with the magic of a mighty Avatar. Yov're gonna need
Aberrant for this, kids. Unlike other kinds of games, the hero roles
are already set (yov are incarnating into them, after all) -- and I
want to give the svper-mages fvnky names first thanks! Note that yov
can change their genders as yov see fit.

Each of the following are bvilt with 21Nova Points. Magic can stack
with these powers. Replace Qvantvm costs with Qvintessence, and the
Qvantvm score with Arete

Svperior (Akashic Brotherhood)

When a diamond lotvs from the Western Paradise fell into ovr
dimension, the infant inside was raised byhvmble Shaolin monks vntil
he learned of his trve incarnation as the archetypal Akashic mage,
known in Confvcian lore as the Svperior Person. One half of a team
with The Harvester, his enlightened mind is matched by the body of a
warrior-Bodhisattva!

Powers: Mega-Strength-3, Armor 3

The Harvester (Evthanatos)

When Doctor Helekar's twin brother was mvrdered for getting too close
to vampire activity, the tortvred sovl swore to give himself the power
to wreak vengeance – a power that wasn't granted vntil he was
initiated into the secret Kapalikas cvlt of Calcvtta. Coming before
the gods of destrvction, he laid bare the desires of his heart – and
they were fovnd pvre enovgh to not only grant him the Oracvlar Avatar
of the Evthanatos, bvt to destroy the corrvpt cvlt. Now the Harvester
works in the shadows, elminating enemies that Svperior's highly
developed ethos won't let him tovch. The world's gretest warrior knows
exactly when the fates will gvide his strike.

Powers: Mega-Intelligence 1, Mega-Dexterity 2 (Rapid Strike,
Cat-Footed), Mega-Wits 1.

Dreamspeaker (Dreamspeakers)

Tortvred by what doctors told him was madness, the World Shaman
learned his craft from the spirits, who led him across the world to
retrieve the fragments of his predecessor's sovl. These were hovsed in
the secret rites of hvndreds of medicine worker societies, and only
his natvral cvltvral genivs allowed him to vncover them. The
Dreamspeaker to be had top initiate himself into each and every one of
these traditions vntil his ancestors jvdged him worthy. Now, he's a
spirit-worker and cvltvral chameleon, except that he more than
imitates shamanic traditions. He is their mightiest exponent!

Powers: Mega-Intelligence 3 (Cvltvral Prodigy, Lingvistic Genivs).

Czar Vargo (Sons of Ether)

Fools! They banished Czar Vargo from the mirror reality where he covld
have stopped the First World War! Hm . . . it looks like the same
warmongering bastards are here as well! The Mega-Encephalo-Engram of
Ether Science has been erased from dozens of worlds in ann attempt to
stamp ovt Science, inclvding this very place! The Hollower brovght me,
the last svrviving carrier of the Engram, to this "Earth" to oppose
the bastards once more. Swords! Swords and pistols agsints the Aerial
Board of Con . . . er, Ming the Merc . . . oh, Technocracy! Right!
Whatever!

Powers: Mega-Intelligence 3 (Scientific Genivs, Engineeering Genivs).

Thoth (Order of Hermes)

Yov dimly remember yovr hvman life as a Thelemite, a 32 nd degree
Freemason and so on, and so forth. All that matters was learning that
yov were really Tohvt, mage-god of Egypt and later, fovnder of the
Order of Hermes. In each life yov've left the key to vnlocking yovr
sovl in secret signs. What else have yov left for yovrself to
discover? The apotheosis came when yov entered the secret passage in
the Great Sphinx, bvt that was dangerovs, becavse when the Avatar of
Thoth came firth looking for a body, yovr companion – Baron Mortensen
– tvrned on yov, revealing himself to be a Technocrat. Yov know he got
a tovch of Thoth's power; it worries yov, bvt not as mvch as having to
deal with vnschooled, mortal whelps!

Powers:Mega-Intelligence 1 (Occvlt Genivs). In addition, Thoth has
access to 15 Backgrovnd Points' worth of Sorcery Paths.

Singvlarity (Virtval Adepts)

Singvlarity is no longer hvman. Her predecessors have gradvally
discarded their weak flesh and merged more and more with the
information vniverse. Singvlarity took the final step and discarded
her body. After hacking the Iteration X system knows as Avtocthon, she
discovered the trapped Avatar of predecessor Alan Tvring. When she
merged with the Avatar of the Virtval Adepts, she looked back at her
body and declared: "Meh."

Powers:Bodymorph (Energy) 3 (Permanent), Cyberkinesis 3 Mega-Wits 2
(Mvltitasking)

Lord Hell-Fire (Cvlt of Ecstasy)

This is rather a bother! A few lifetimes ago yov were a shallow
English nobleman with a penchant for debavchery – and yov liked it, by
damn! Yov didn't know that yovr paramovr: --Marianna
something-or-other? -- was holding the very Sovl of Ecstasy. Well, yov
don't like to brag, bvt yov're not entirely vnskilled at intimate
affairs yovrself, since insecvrity arovnd other members of the city
set inspired yov to sweat yovr brow (and other things) mastering the
pornographic svggestions of certain colonial texts. Well, dear
Marianna apparently wanted to retire, becavse after a mind-shattering
evening . . . well, yov awoke with the power of a veritable Tantric
demigod!

After the first centvry or so, it gets dreadfvlly boring, especially
since, in the throes of passion, yov know what those years will bring.
Still, Marianna fovnd yov beavtifvl (and still does – yov hear her
sweet voice always, even if she still won't tell yov her name!) and
between yovr inclination and her gifts, yov're as handsome as yov are
sensitive. Yov wonder where sweet Miss M. really is, thovgh.

Powers: Mega-Perception 1 (Analytic Tovch), Mega-Appearance 2 (First
Impression, Sedvctive Looks)

Johnny Wotan (Verbena)

Witchcraft rocks. Johnny Wotan and the Ragnarok Orchestra know this
and celebrate it by being the greatest hardcore band in two worlds.
Before finding the gods, Johnny was a morose stvdio gvitarist bovnd
for the grey hell of coke, booze and too many blown chances. Of
covrse, Jan never know that the black metal artists he worked for were
in even worse shape. They'd hired him to play strange gvitar rifts
designed to rovse the Nameless from his slvmber, and planned to eat
Jan for lvnch after the session. Bvt Jan was none the wiser vntil his
predecessor Odinsdottir bvrst in, looking to hvnt devil worshipers.
When the devil-band vnleashed their evil mvsic, she looked for Jan to
help – and Jan answered, improvising power ballads fit to wrack the
Midgard Serpent and svfficient to fovl vp a Satanic minor key fovr
chord progression. Odinsdottir prevailed, thovgh she was sent to the
edge of death. She made Jan the high priest of all the trve gods, of
which the Norse deities are shadows, and sang the Verbena sovl into
him.

Rock.

Powers: Mega-Wits 2 (Artistic Genivs, Natvral Empath), Mega-Charisma 1
(Natvral Agitator)

Pale Rider (Celestial Chorvs)

The Templars never went to Scotland. They went fvrther west, to Oak
Island and sovth to the vnexplored places where they covld enjoy
monastic peace. Bvt this wasn't meant to last, as colonization and war
brovght a bad name to the faith and forced the Templar saint to go
back to the world and fight for what's right. Pale Rider is the third
masked gvnfighter to go by the name and the first to trvly Awaken into
fvll power. Every American knows that jvstice rides on a pale horse,
with a mask, rose and cross – signs of a warrior priest who'll fight
for what's right even if mortal laws lie abovt it.

Powers: Mega-Dexterity 1 (Accvracy), Mega-Wits 2 (Enhanced Initiative
2)

The Hollow

This is an qvasi-NPC. The Hollow holds the mysteriovs 10th Sphere and
represents the evolving zeitgeist of the last 300 years. Her natvre is
to create, then mediate conflict: science versvs romance, idealism
versvs cynicism. She represents an awareness of plvrality. By
"qvasi-NPC" I mean that the players blve-book The Hollow's adventvres,
and this informs how the GM plays her. by defavlt, she's a has a
classic Hollow One goth/pvnk style, bvt plays ovt more like a chaos
magician/King Mob figvre.

Antagonists

The Nephandi: Still there, still angry, rebvilding their nvmbers.

The Technocracy: See the backgrovnd. Fortvnately no single Technocrat
is as powerfvl as a member of the Traditions -- thovgh they're trying
.. . .

Maravders: These mad mages come from alternate worlds and carry a bit
of their vnreality with them. Their very existence threatens the
stability of the Consensvs.

The Exalted: The doomed inhabitants of a corrvpt svbjective world
refvse to let their time pass. It's only a matter of time before they
seize Elsewhereporting occvlt technology from the Avtocthonian
invaders and discover ovr ravaged planet!

Otherwise, there are plenty of other svpernatvral megathreats to deal
with.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 4:16:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

Malcolm Sheppard wrote:

<snip>

Hey, neato!
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike
October 26, 2004 10:57:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

In the words of Johnny Wotan,

Rock.

Really, nothing else to add.

William
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 11:08:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

On 26 Oct 2004 08:58:29 -0700, usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm
Sheppard) wrote:


>The Harvester (Euthanatos)

Oh come on. Reaper means the same thing and sounds so much cooler.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 11:08:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

David Johnston wrote:

> Oh come on. Reaper means the same thing and sounds so much cooler.

Not once you take Mage's history and important NPCs into account.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 1:43:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

I'm sorry, I seem to have missed this message...What's going on?^_^;;

Dex,
slapping his server for losing a MS post...
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2u7m2sF275up5U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> David Johnston wrote:
>
> > Oh come on. Reaper means the same thing and sounds so much cooler.
>
> Not once you take Mage's history and important NPCs into account.

I thought of Reaper, but it sounds a bit too kewl. Plus, you can bring
Voormas in to contest the title later on.

M.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 3:20:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0410262043.77500aa@posting.google.com>...
> I'm sorry, I seem to have missed this message...What's going on?^_^;;
>
Hey, don't all stampede to help me out, here! I know you're out there,
I can hear you decomposing!^__~

Seriously, tho, I found it without any real trouble. A few comments:

So, I gather Paradigm, Paradox and Unbelief don't really matter in
this version of Mage? Ok.

Unless that's a typo, WWI occurred hundreds of years ago? I like it,
it's a reasonable extrapolation of what may have happened without the
Consensus holding things back. But WWII should probably be WWVII or
something, then...

So, Al-Aswad is basically Caine?^^

I'd probably add something along the lines of the original Council
linking their MetaAvatars to course along certain Mythic Threads, so
that as long as humanity believed/told certain stories, they'd be sure
to reincarnate...(for a look at an Avatar leaping from one killed hero
to a new host, check out the latest issue of Firestorm)

Why do all the Traditioners get Dream 5? I'd have thought an automatic
Destiny 5 more likely...

Mega-Attributes?? Kewl! May as well throw in Ability Mastery and
Background Enhancements (Hey, maybe coincidental magick really *can*
be Dramatic Editing now!)...Also, certain Aberrant Merits, Flaws and
Backgrounds could be very useful (which helps you hide from the
Technocracy better, Arcane or Dormancy?)...

Interesting new take on Concordia. Actually made me dig out Horizon
and give it a reread. I'd forgotten how cool a place it was...Hope the
new Mage doesn't forsake even the possiblity of something like that...

(On a related note, looking at the Authority's sister book, Planetary
should give some really sweet ideas on a kickass take of one of the
WoD's most underrated orgs, the Arcanum...)

Dex,
scared to see what Authchton and Control would be like in this version
of Mage...^^
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:28:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0410311220.3a888792@posting.google.com>...
> smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0410262043.77500aa@posting.google.com>...
> > I'm sorry, I seem to have missed this message...What's going on?^_^;;
> >
> Hey, don't all stampede to help me out, here! I know you're out there,
> I can hear you decomposing!^__~
>
> Seriously, tho, I found it without any real trouble. A few comments:
>
> So, I gather Paradigm, Paradox and Unbelief don't really matter in
> this version of Mage? Ok.

No, they do matter -- just differently. People actually have to
actively commit to a paradigm instead of taking it be default -- but
most people "actively commit" to Technocracy by obeying governments
and using science and technology. So, "I believe that this guy is
using shamanism<" isn't enough. "I think we ought to live by shamanic
principles or that it's inevitable that we do," is required.

One more thing, too: Awakened mages need to be initiated by other
Awakened mages -- except for the Traditions (and the Hollow). Aside
from the Trads and the Technocracy, there's nobody left but sorcerers.

> Unless that's a typo, WWI occurred hundreds of years ago? I like it,
> it's a reasonable extrapolation of what may have happened without the
> Consensus holding things back. But WWII should probably be WWVII or
> something, then...

No. WW2 was just when the worst Nephandi were kicked off of the Earth
or rendered somnolent after their last major play for power in 1945.
They were around before, but being undead means they usually need to
spend time waking themselves to eat and power up before doing anything
really awful.

When the Hollow's working over 250 years, this actually refers to her
lifespan, not the date's she puts St. German and the Old Man of the
Mountain back into the Cycle.

> So, Al-Aswad is basically Caine?^^

Yes. The Antediluvians were Caine's initial apprentices after he
became undead by "killing" (yet leaving horribly active), his Avatar,
Abel. Abel's dead state manifests as an unending hunger for life,
which powers vampirism and goes *up* through the thread (when Johnny
the Neonate eats you, a little bit goes to his sire, sire's sire and
so on up to Abel, the Endless Sacrifice). Al-Aswad wants to regain
full divinity by having vampires eat everyone, which puts Abel's soul
on par with God (or so he thinks) and allows the Malfeans to reimpose
the Qlippoth as the default state of reality.

> I'd probably add something along the lines of the original Council
> linking their MetaAvatars to course along certain Mythic Threads, so
> that as long as humanity believed/told certain stories, they'd be sure
> to reincarnate...(for a look at an Avatar leaping from one killed hero
> to a new host, check out the latest issue of Firestorm)

Maybe.

> Why do all the Traditioners get Dream 5? I'd have thought an automatic
> Destiny 5 more likely...

They have unsteady access to the memories of prior incarnations.

> Mega-Attributes?? Kewl! May as well throw in Ability Mastery and
> Background Enhancements (Hey, maybe coincidental magick really *can*
> be Dramatic Editing now!)...Also, certain Aberrant Merits, Flaws and
> Backgrounds could be very useful (which helps you hide from the
> Technocracy better, Arcane or Dormancy?)...

I'd stick with Mage for the most part, though use the Aberrant dice
rolling conventions. Spells always have a minimum threshold equal to
the Sphere rank, +1 for vulgar magic. Witnesses reduce your dice pool
by 1. All other diff mods are dice pool mods, and use Arete+highest
Sphere, but halve the power of each success. Rank 6 Spheres represent
an automatic upscaling of range/area per success, as per Forces and
others in Masters of the Art:

Rank 6: 10 people or something the size of a house or a small
definable group (all the Freemasons in a small town)/success.
Rank 7: 10,000 people or something the size of a city or a large
definable group (all Canadian Freemasons)/success.
Rank 8: 10,000,000 people or something the size of a nation of
continent, or a huge group (all Canadians)/success.
Rank 9: One world/Realm per success (though conjunctions are required
to cross the Gauntlet).

Also, levels of effect get upgraded:

Rank 6: 2 points/HL per success (remember that with Arete+Sphere, the
base is actually 1, not 2).
Rank 7: 3 points/HL per success
Rank 8: 4 points/HL per success
Rank 9: 5 points/HL per success

> Interesting new take on Concordia. Actually made me dig out Horizon
> and give it a reread. I'd forgotten how cool a place it was...Hope the
> new Mage doesn't forsake even the possiblity of something like that...

If I run this Concordia will not have Griffon-riding contests or any
of that. It's much more mysterious and mystically automated via the
Saxum Oculorum.

> (On a related note, looking at the Authority's sister book, Planetary
> should give some really sweet ideas on a kickass take of one of the
> WoD's most underrated orgs, the Arcanum...)

I might grab it to look some time.

> Dex,
> scared to see what Authchton and Control would be like in this version
> of Mage...^^

I rather like the idea that in this one, Control is actually nothing
but the UN Security Council members and that, for all their power, the
Technocracy is ultimately run by Sleeper politicos, because they're
the ones that Sleeper allegiance is actually owed to, and as a result,
they control whether Sleepers actively buy into their paradigm.

Autocthon is the dead Primordial of Exalted, who, when fired up as a
computer for Iteration X, reestablishes contact with Exalted's
Creation. Exalts eventually determine that the "future" world is their
destiny and in the second or third story arc of the series, decide to
invade to escape their doom. Accordingly, the Traditions use Concordia
to have an interdimensional space battle with Yu Shan, destroy the
Games of Divinity and beat up the gods (who, to be fair, are suffering
from withdrawal and aren't at the top of their fightin' game). This
destroys the normal process of Exaltation and gives everyone a
variegated spark of divinity, but allows the Raksha to invade. This
eventually destroys Creation but reformats it in the manner mandated
by destiny (creating the current campaign world), giving us the
hackeneyed, "Your very attempts to prevent it makes it come to pass!"
thing that I tend to enjoy.

Oh - and it also allows the Primordials to survive, unfettered,
allowing Caine to turn himself into Al-Aswad by learning from them.

M.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 2:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

Huh. NOW this post shows up where I can read it. 3 cheers for Dramatic
Editing!!^_~

Well, I already made my comments, so I thought I'd add:

usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0410260758.4f3c5313@posting.google.com>...
> Put this in my LJ and thought folks here might be interested as well.
>
[snippity]

> Otherwise, there are plenty of other supernatural megathreats to deal
> with.

Mummy: Heru the Ancient One has finally grown tired of this modern
world, and uses his Ren-Hekau to recreate the major cities of the
world (and their inhabitants) into ancient Egyptian-style nomarchs.
Can the Council convince him of the folly of his ways? If not, how can
they defeat an Undying who resurrects seconds after being killed? (key
character: Thoth)

Wraith: Many believe in an Afterlife...but no one foresaw that it
would invade!! (The Dead hate the Living, indeed!) The nations of the
world are helpless to repulse the Legions of the Deathlords, a
Spectral army consisting of the deceased loved ones of everyone on the
planet; can the Council be any more effective, and resolve the
situation before the Technocracy nukes the Underworld?? Perhaps the
Lady of Fate holds the key...(key characters: The Hollow, The
Harvester)

Hunter: What happens when *every single human* on Earth suddenly gains
Conviction and Edges? Is it Ascension or...something else? It's up to
The Council to sort out the resulting chaos, locate the mysterious
Heralds, find out their agenda and kick `em out of our dimension! (key
characters: Dreamspeaker, Pale Rider)

Demon: But perhaps they acted too quickly. The Technocracy's earlier
actions have inadvertantly shattered the Abyssal prison holding the
original Fallen architects of the universe...and they want it back!
But the Council may have an unexpected ally, in the figure of
Lucifer...(key characters: Pale Rider, Thoth)

The Fae: As the Dream Plague rages across the world, attacking people
with manifested nightmares, King Oberon and Queen Titania make their
move. If the Council can't defeat their Changeling hosts (normal
humans forcibly taken over by Faerie souls), then the shape of entire
world will melt from a sphere to a flat plane, and be absorbed into
the Wyld zone of Arcadia...If only there were some way to harness
Banality on a mass scale...(key characters: Lord Hellfire, Johnny
Wotan)

Werewolf: Tribes of degenerate Beastmen have been content to hide from
humanity, but no more. Certain that the recent events are the result
of human meddling (and that they could have done better),
werecreatures of every species and breed claim a holy crusade of
Impergium against humanity. There are far too many rampaging through
the streets, slaying everything in sight, to stop all at once. But
perhaps if the Council can brave the Astral Umbra, and convince Gaia
and Luna themselves to call off the Impergium...(key characters:
Dreamspeaker, Johnny Wotan)

Trinity: After encountering an extremely powerful Aberration, the
Council finds themselves face-to-face with those who claim to have
come back thru Time to find it: The Psi Order. If they can't stop it,
it will cause Armageddon far too soon. Unfortunately, the Order thinks
that the Traditions are aiding the Aberrant. Worse, their future
*seems* to be one where the Technocracy ultimately wins. Can they stop
Armageddon AND change the future? (key characters: Czar Vargo,
Singularity)

THE PSI ORDER: Each member of the Order possesses one Psi Aptitude,
its Basic Techniques, and all of its Modes, up to level 5. They are,
in effect, The Proxies, tho the Storyteller should feel free to modify
those characters and their gender, background, and personalities as
they see fit. The Order will be outfitted with gear and weapons at
least as advanced as the Technocracy's, except that most of it is
Biotech in nature. Its members are:

The Minister (Telepathy: Empathy, Mindshare, Psychbending)

The Legionnaire (Psychokinesis: Cryokinesis, Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis)

Aesclepion (Vitakinesis: Iatrosis, Mentatis, Algesis)

Shifter (Biokinesis: Adaptation, Psychomorphing, Transmogrify)

Tek (Electrokinesis: Electromanipulation, Photokinesis, Technokinesis)

Porter (Teleportation: Translocation, Transmassion, Warping)

Seer-lad (Clairsentience: Psychometry, Psychonavigation, Telesthesia)

Aeon (Quantakinesis: Enhancement, Energetics, Transmutation)

The Qin: The only alien member of the Order, the Qin is a large
slug-like creature that operates a nine-foot tall shapeshifting suit
of bioarmor called The Varg. And its armed to the (literal) teeth...

Dex
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:55:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0411041105.2fd656c5@posting.google.com>...
> Huh. NOW this post shows up where I can read it. 3 cheers for Dramatic
> Editing!!^_~
>
> Well, I already made my comments, so I thought I'd add:
>
> usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0410260758.4f3c5313@posting.google.com>...
> > Put this in my LJ and thought folks here might be interested as well.
> >
> [snippity]
>
> > Otherwise, there are plenty of other supernatural megathreats to deal
> > with.
>
> Mummy: Heru the Ancient One has finally grown tired of this modern
> world, and uses his Ren-Hekau to recreate the major cities of the
> world (and their inhabitants) into ancient Egyptian-style nomarchs.
> Can the Council convince him of the folly of his ways? If not, how can
> they defeat an Undying who resurrects seconds after being killed? (key
> character: Thoth)
>
> Wraith: Many believe in an Afterlife...but no one foresaw that it
> would invade!! (The Dead hate the Living, indeed!) The nations of the
> world are helpless to repulse the Legions of the Deathlords, a
> Spectral army consisting of the deceased loved ones of everyone on the
> planet; can the Council be any more effective, and resolve the
> situation before the Technocracy nukes the Underworld?? Perhaps the
> Lady of Fate holds the key...(key characters: The Hollow, The
> Harvester)
>
> Hunter: What happens when *every single human* on Earth suddenly gains
> Conviction and Edges? Is it Ascension or...something else? It's up to
> The Council to sort out the resulting chaos, locate the mysterious
> Heralds, find out their agenda and kick `em out of our dimension! (key
> characters: Dreamspeaker, Pale Rider)
>
> Demon: But perhaps they acted too quickly. The Technocracy's earlier
> actions have inadvertantly shattered the Abyssal prison holding the
> original Fallen architects of the universe...and they want it back!
> But the Council may have an unexpected ally, in the figure of
> Lucifer...(key characters: Pale Rider, Thoth)
>
> The Fae: As the Dream Plague rages across the world, attacking people
> with manifested nightmares, King Oberon and Queen Titania make their
> move. If the Council can't defeat their Changeling hosts (normal
> humans forcibly taken over by Faerie souls), then the shape of entire
> world will melt from a sphere to a flat plane, and be absorbed into
> the Wyld zone of Arcadia...If only there were some way to harness
> Banality on a mass scale...(key characters: Lord Hellfire, Johnny
> Wotan)
>
> Werewolf: Tribes of degenerate Beastmen have been content to hide from
> humanity, but no more. Certain that the recent events are the result
> of human meddling (and that they could have done better),
> werecreatures of every species and breed claim a holy crusade of
> Impergium against humanity. There are far too many rampaging through
> the streets, slaying everything in sight, to stop all at once. But
> perhaps if the Council can brave the Astral Umbra, and convince Gaia
> and Luna themselves to call off the Impergium...(key characters:
> Dreamspeaker, Johnny Wotan)
>
> Trinity: After encountering an extremely powerful Aberration, the
> Council finds themselves face-to-face with those who claim to have
> come back thru Time to find it: The Psi Order. If they can't stop it,
> it will cause Armageddon far too soon. Unfortunately, the Order thinks
> that the Traditions are aiding the Aberrant. Worse, their future
> *seems* to be one where the Technocracy ultimately wins. Can they stop
> Armageddon AND change the future? (key characters: Czar Vargo,
> Singularity)
>
> THE PSI ORDER: Each member of the Order possesses one Psi Aptitude,
> its Basic Techniques, and all of its Modes, up to level 5. They are,
> in effect, The Proxies, tho the Storyteller should feel free to modify
> those characters and their gender, background, and personalities as
> they see fit. The Order will be outfitted with gear and weapons at
> least as advanced as the Technocracy's, except that most of it is
> Biotech in nature. Its members are:
>
> The Minister (Telepathy: Empathy, Mindshare, Psychbending)
>
> The Legionnaire (Psychokinesis: Cryokinesis, Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis)
>
> Aesclepion (Vitakinesis: Iatrosis, Mentatis, Algesis)
>
> Shifter (Biokinesis: Adaptation, Psychomorphing, Transmogrify)
>
> Tek (Electrokinesis: Electromanipulation, Photokinesis, Technokinesis)
>
> Porter (Teleportation: Translocation, Transmassion, Warping)
>
> Seer-lad (Clairsentience: Psychometry, Psychonavigation, Telesthesia)
>
> Aeon (Quantakinesis: Enhancement, Energetics, Transmutation)
>
> The Qin: The only alien member of the Order, the Qin is a large
> slug-like creature that operates a nine-foot tall shapeshifting suit
> of bioarmor called The Varg. And its armed to the (literal) teeth...
>
> Dex

Cool!

By the way, wasn't Qin the bit character that touched off the Death of
Superior storyline in the 90s? I never cared for that, but some of the
dervative characters in the Superiority storyline that followed were
OK, like:

*Dorje: The diamond humanoid who dressed like Superior, but just ended
up being a rogue Technocrat in nanotech armour.

*Reincarnate: That "kid" version of Superior (actually a revamped
version of Dharma Boy from Enlightened Action Comics decades ago)
created by the siphoning off of his prior karma.

*Guardian Devil: This came with Superior from the western paradise,
bound to a small statue. Without Superior's enlightening example, it
went back to its old demonic ways.

* Cybersuperior: I didn;t care for this one, since he was obviously
just a fancy HIT Mark covered in some of Superior's cloned flesh.

Later on they experimented with making Superior a being composed on
pure mind and Chi, but I think it detracted from the cool things about
the character.

M.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 2:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0411042355.151b0f2c@posting.google.com>...
>
> By the way, wasn't Qin the bit character that touched off the Death of
> Superior storyline in the 90s?

Yeah, but the actual death was caused by Superior's clash with
Gehenna, the Walking Murder. I didn't like that character, who was
obviously a walking metaplot device...

>I never cared for that, but some of the
> dervative characters in the Superiority storyline that followed were
> OK, like:
>
> *Dorje: The diamond humanoid who dressed like Superior, but just ended
> up being a rogue Technocrat in nanotech armour.
>
> *Reincarnate: That "kid" version of Superior (actually a revamped
> version of Dharma Boy from Enlightened Action Comics decades ago)
> created by the siphoning off of his prior karma.
>
> *Guardian Devil: This came with Superior from the western paradise,
> bound to a small statue. Without Superior's enlightening example, it
> went back to its old demonic ways.
>
> * Cybersuperior: I didn;t care for this one, since he was obviously
> just a fancy HIT Mark covered in some of Superior's cloned flesh.
>
You forgot about Superia, tho she was already around before that,
so...

> Later on they experimented with making Superior a being composed on
> pure mind and Chi, but I think it detracted from the cool things about
> the character.
>
I much preferred the "Superior Yin, Superior Yang" classic storyline,
myself...

And then there was Grant Morrison's brief stint as Line Developer,
when we got things like The Chaos Mouth, The Nine Ghost Suns of Yi,
Occipitops the Brain Pyramid, and MotherShip...

Dex,
wondering if Bryan Hitch is busy...^^
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 6:04:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0411071127.3781cf02@posting.google.com>...
> usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0411042355.151b0f2c@posting.google.com>...
> >
> > By the way, wasn't Qin the bit character that touched off the Death of
> > Superior storyline in the 90s?
>
> Yeah, but the actual death was caused by Superior's clash with
> Gehenna, the Walking Murder. I didn't like that character, who was
> obviously a walking metaplot device...
>
> >I never cared for that, but some of the
> > dervative characters in the Superiority storyline that followed were
> > OK, like:
> >
> > *Dorje: The diamond humanoid who dressed like Superior, but just ended
> > up being a rogue Technocrat in nanotech armour.
> >
> > *Reincarnate: That "kid" version of Superior (actually a revamped
> > version of Dharma Boy from Enlightened Action Comics decades ago)
> > created by the siphoning off of his prior karma.
> >
> > *Guardian Devil: This came with Superior from the western paradise,
> > bound to a small statue. Without Superior's enlightening example, it
> > went back to its old demonic ways.
> >
> > * Cybersuperior: I didn;t care for this one, since he was obviously
> > just a fancy HIT Mark covered in some of Superior's cloned flesh.
> >
> You forgot about Superia, tho she was already around before that,
> so...
>
> > Later on they experimented with making Superior a being composed on
> > pure mind and Chi, but I think it detracted from the cool things about
> > the character.
> >
> I much preferred the "Superior Yin, Superior Yang" classic storyline,
> myself...
>
> And then there was Grant Morrison's brief stint as Line Developer,
> when we got things like The Chaos Mouth, The Nine Ghost Suns of Yi,
> Occipitops the Brain Pyramid, and MotherShip...
>
> Dex,
> wondering if Bryan Hitch is busy...^^

Well, that was before they revealed that Grant Morrison was actually a
Marauder from an alternate world. . .

.. . . in the game. Yeah. The game. That's the ticket.

M.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 10:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0411081504.26231630@posting.google.com>...
> smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0411071127.3781cf02@posting.google.com>...
> And then there was Grant Morrison's brief stint as Line Developer,
> > when we got things like The Chaos Mouth, The Nine Ghost Suns of Yi,
> > Occipitops the Brain Pyramid, and MotherShip...
> >
> > Dex,
> > wondering if Bryan Hitch is busy...^^
>
> Well, that was before they revealed that Grant Morrison was actually a
> Marauder from an alternate world. . .
>
> . . . in the game. Yeah. The game. That's the ticket.

Hmm...I wonder what spheres would be needed to create Grant's "Fiction
Suit" that allows one to dive *into* fictional universes...^^

Dex
November 13, 2004 3:49:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0411081504.26231630@posting.google.com>...
>
>>smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0411071127.3781cf02@posting.google.com>...
>
> > And then there was Grant Morrison's brief stint as Line Developer,
>
>>>when we got things like The Chaos Mouth, The Nine Ghost Suns of Yi,
>>>Occipitops the Brain Pyramid, and MotherShip...
>>>
>>>Dex,
>>>wondering if Bryan Hitch is busy...^^
>>
>>Well, that was before they revealed that Grant Morrison was actually a
>>Marauder from an alternate world. . .
>>
>>. . . in the game. Yeah. The game. That's the ticket.
>
>
> Hmm...I wonder what spheres would be needed to create Grant's "Fiction
> Suit" that allows one to dive *into* fictional universes...^^
>
> Dex

Spirit 2, Mind 1 if it's your own visualization of the fictional
universe, Mind 4 and Time 2 if it's the authors.

William
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 4:51:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

William <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote in message news:<2vmvp3F2modpcU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> > usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0411081504.26231630@posting.google.com>...
> >
> >>smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0411071127.3781cf02@posting.google.com>...
>
> > > And then there was Grant Morrison's brief stint as Line Developer,
>
> >>>when we got things like The Chaos Mouth, The Nine Ghost Suns of Yi,
> >>>Occipitops the Brain Pyramid, and MotherShip...
> >>>
> >>>Dex,
> >>>wondering if Bryan Hitch is busy...^^
> >>
> >>Well, that was before they revealed that Grant Morrison was actually a
> >>Marauder from an alternate world. . .
> >>
> >>. . . in the game. Yeah. The game. That's the ticket.
> >
> >
> > Hmm...I wonder what spheres would be needed to create Grant's "Fiction
> > Suit" that allows one to dive *into* fictional universes...^^
> >
> > Dex
>
> Spirit 2, Mind 1 if it's your own visualization of the fictional
> universe, Mind 4 and Time 2 if it's the authors.
>
> William


I think it really depends on where the fictionverse is situated. If
it's in the Astral Umbra (as, in fact, is must be, since everything
that has been conceived of is there somewhere), it's a Spirit 3 Effect
and some clever navigation. If it's inside the author's mind, then we
could use a really wierd Mind variant of DW-style Holistic Immersion
where you convert your body into pure through and ruimmage around a
dude's mind. If you want your adventure there to change the way the
fiction appears to ordinary people everywhere (you enter the Marvel
Universe and assasinate Spider-Man, and Spider-Man dies in Marvel
Comics), then you toss Entropy 5 in, or you might be able to do it by
virtue of the properties of the Realm. I'd say that regular
resurrection in writing can't be done in this case, since you've
destroyed the meme of Spider-Man being someone capable of being alive.
Naturally, this implies that comics continuity is so screwy because
mages keep killing off and bringing back characters.

(All of this assumes physically entering the fictional universe as
they do in The Filth.)

This has made me think of an especially scary variant, by the way.
Anybody ever read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch? You can buy a
Demense (MSTH) where you have absolute power over a bit of Astral
territory, then use Entropy 5/Mind 3 to force a large number of people
people to live out their dream lives there. Accordingly you can rule
their dreams as an absolute dictator. Oh -- and your Realm would
eventually take over the Atral Umbra, too, since Sleepers would
reinforce it the same way that they reinforce Astral archetypes that
come from their normal dreams.

(By the way, the important thing to remember here is that Entropy 5 is
nonlocal, since it alters memes/tuplas/thoughtforms before they are
distributed to minds -- so normal targetting successes wouldn;t be
required. "Dreams" include a staggering array of concepts though, so
this would require lots and lots and lots of successes, giving you a
good reason why nobody's done it yet.)

That's a nice way to run an epic scenario subtly.

M.
November 15, 2004 3:13:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

Malcolm Sheppard wrote:

>>>
>>>Hmm...I wonder what spheres would be needed to create Grant's "Fiction
>>>Suit" that allows one to dive *into* fictional universes...^^
>>>
>>>Dex
>>
>>Spirit 2, Mind 1 if it's your own visualization of the fictional
>>universe, Mind 4 and Time 2 if it's the authors.
>>
>>William
>
>
>
> I think it really depends on where the fictionverse is situated. If
> it's in the Astral Umbra (as, in fact, is must be, since everything
> that has been conceived of is there somewhere), it's a Spirit 3 Effect
> and some clever navigation. If it's inside the author's mind, then we
> could use a really wierd Mind variant of DW-style Holistic Immersion
> where you convert your body into pure through and ruimmage around a
> dude's mind. If you want your adventure there to change the way the
> fiction appears to ordinary people everywhere (you enter the Marvel
> Universe and assasinate Spider-Man, and Spider-Man dies in Marvel
> Comics), then you toss Entropy 5 in, or you might be able to do it by
> virtue of the properties of the Realm. I'd say that regular
> resurrection in writing can't be done in this case, since you've
> destroyed the meme of Spider-Man being someone capable of being alive.
> Naturally, this implies that comics continuity is so screwy because
> mages keep killing off and bringing back characters.
>
> (All of this assumes physically entering the fictional universe as
> they do in The Filth.)

Ah. You are right. My fault - I was thinking of "entering" spiritual
realms as out-of-body experiences and missed the bring-my-body-along part.

Also, you brought up an interesting point with the Entropy 5 effect. In
such a situation, would Spirit need to be used at all? I'd call entering
the dream/fiction world simply the paradigmatic manifestation/focus in
those circumstances.

>
> This has made me think of an especially scary variant, by the way.
> Anybody ever read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch?

No, sorry.

You can buy a
> Demense (MSTH) where you have absolute power over a bit of Astral
> territory, then use Entropy 5/Mind 3 to force a large number of people
> people to live out their dream lives there. Accordingly you can rule
> their dreams as an absolute dictator. Oh -- and your Realm would
> eventually take over the Atral Umbra, too, since Sleepers would
> reinforce it the same way that they reinforce Astral archetypes that
> come from their normal dreams.

Huh. Somehow, up until now, I'd missed the incredible potential
applications of Entropy 5 as a global domination tool. After all, it
should be entirely possible to eliminate the concept of Opposition to Me
from existance.

>
> (By the way, the important thing to remember here is that Entropy 5 is
> nonlocal, since it alters memes/tuplas/thoughtforms before they are
> distributed to minds -- so normal targetting successes wouldn;t be
> required. "Dreams" include a staggering array of concepts though, so
> this would require lots and lots and lots of successes, giving you a
> good reason why nobody's done it yet.)

And that just makes it scarier when you think about how casually an
Entropy 5 mage should be able to utterly rewrite the world to his desires.

Seriously, this is one reason why I hope "power/scope" stops being a
sphere level based thing and is strictly limited to successes in the new
Mage game.

>
> That's a nice way to run an epic scenario subtly.
>
> M.

I may use something like this in my upcoming game. Probably an
unconcious effect. Since I'm hoping to run the game in the trenches of
WWI, the local dreamscape should be quite... interesting for the
characters. A wonderful way to introduce a world-threatening cataclism
which can not be solved by killing the guy with the goatee.

William
!