PLEASE HELP!! Internet is SLOW

osmak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hello,
I have a Netgear DGN2000 Modem/Router combo (My connection is 4M). I have a desktop (core i5-2500, Asus P8p67 LE, 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, Dual boot WIN7 + Ubuntu 11.10), and a notebook (Sony VIO VGN-FW290). Everything was working great since last April. Recently, the Internet on the desktop started getting slow real slow, but the notebook is unaffected. I tried updating the win7 drivers, but I discovered that it is not a software problem since the Internet is also slow on linux (so it cannot be a virus or a malware). So I tried updating the router firmware, but nothing changed. I also changed the cable, but nothing changed. I did a PHY reset as suggested in one of the threads in the forum (shutdown PC, unpluged cables, and waited for 1 day not just a few minutes), but still the same. Finally, I downloaded the realtek ethernet diagnostic utility, did the diagnostics and the NIC passed all tests, but I noticed in the statistics that a lot of receiving errors are occurring and that the packets sent are almost equal to the packets received (which usually should be much more than the packets sent). So what could be the problem?

-- UPDATE: From watching for a couple of hours I noticed that the ratio of erroneous packets is increasing, when I first created the thread the ratio was around 5% now (a couple of hours later) it is around 11%.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts.

osmak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
While I was checking the forums for related problems, one of the replies in one of the threads included a PHY reset procedure that is different from the one I did. I tried it and it solved my problem. Basically, unplug the power and ethernet cables, and while the power cable is unplugged press and hold the power button for about 10 to 20 seconds (I think this what made the difference because I tried everything else in the same order) to completely drain the capacitors. After that, plug the power cable, start win7, and wait for 10 minutes before plugging the etherenet back. Now everything is back to normal.

osmak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
No I am back to square zero, the Internet is slow again on my desktop and the PHY reset is not doing the trick anymore. This is getting frustrating. I checked the NIC stats and I am having a lot of receiving errors again !!!

Please guys does anyone have any idea what is going on? :( :( :(