Sign in with
Your question

I need some serious help here

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2012 11:10:37 PM

I really don't want to screw up this new build guys. I'm looking to use Windows 8 Pro for my new low budget build (don't hate). I didn't know where to put this considering it involves windows, a hard drive, and my motherboard, so what I want to know is:

If I buy windows 8 and install it on my 400 gig in this oldish PC that I am currently using, would it be possible to clone the 400 gig to a 1TB? As in, could I install the OS to the 400GB and then clone it to the 1TB hard drive? *NOTE: Both drives are internal!

Also: Would I be able to reuse the hard drive that has the OS on it (whether it is the 400GB or the 1TB) in a completely new build? I've heard that the OS is only usable on a single motherboard and I won't be reusing this old one.

Specs of current computer:

Intel core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13 GHz
4GB Ram
PNY Geforce GT 430
305W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 400GB (the one mentioned above)
Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3

Specs of new low budget buid:

Intel core i5 3550 @ 3.3GHz
G.Skill Ripjaws 8 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon 7770
Seagate Barracuda ST3 1TB HDD (the one mentioned above)
Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (I don't plan on doing any overclocking which is why I went with an H77 rather than a Z77
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid case
Windows 8 Pro

More about : question

November 19, 2012 5:22:40 AM

If you buy an OEM copy of Windows, you can only use it on the first motherboard its installed to otherwise it will be invalid. Full retail keys you can use on multiple machines.

Your OS install on the old system wont work with the new hardware, you need to do a fresh install on the new rig.

You can re-use the HDD, should be as simple as just plugging it into the rig. Though as I said above, the Windows install wont work.
m
l
!