Sarionshadow

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
So. Christmas is coming and since i entered university this year i can have a powerful computer for a gift.
There is no real budget but i cannot have my family spend more than 1500 euros on a computer , cause that would be too much.
First of, i live in greece and the only shop that provides parts for computers is e-shop.gr and all the parts must come from that site.

So after looking around the internet for suggestions and stuff , i built this little monster.
Basically i want a future-proof pc that can play most games and support all of my project( Art-related university, basically we apply graphic arts) for some years at , at least hight quality.
note: I dont plan to overclock, i dont like it :/

Case : Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 Full Tower

CPU: Intel i7 3770k

Motherboard: ASus Sabertooth Z77

Ram : KINGSTON KHX13C9B1RK2/8 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1333MHZ HYPERX RED SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT

GPU: Asus GTX 670

SSD : OCZ Vertex 3

HDD : Seagate Baracuda 1TB

PSU : Thermaltake SP-730 Smart Series 730 W

Second Note:
SEriously , whats the difference between ASus Sabertooth Z77 and ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
Is it even worth the difference in money? Will i see that much of a difference in my gaming?

This build costs around 1722 euros but we will not have to pay the VAT so its down to 1400 euros.
Opinions, suggestions to make this build better/cheaper please? Dont make the price go any higher.
Are all parts compatible?

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
If power limits are not a big deal look into getting a 7970, it is as strong as the 680 and costs the same as a 670, in the US at least. Get an i5 3570k. trust me it won't bottleneck the gpu. Almost nothing will be bottlenecked by that cpu.

Sarionshadow

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
The cpu i dont really want to change, i have gotten many suggestions on getting a 3770k. As far as the card goes the 7970 costs around 100 euros more in my country at least.
Also as far as i heard the 680 is not worth its dollars, so maybe the 7970 is not worth it too. Plus i also read that the difference between rival Geforce and Radeon cards are that Pure force= Geforce, Radeon= if you wanna add more monitors later on.
The gpu is still open to dicussion. Please add more replies everyone, i need to get this over with.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
7970 is significantly stronger, and in the US it is about the same as 670. But I would agree that it isn't worth 100 euros more, so I would stick with the 670. That thing you said about radeon= and geforce = is not true. It isn't different every year, and this year amd has the better cards in general. But I see no reason for you to get a 3770k, especially if you see no chance of ocing in the future. Also the 3570k will be more than enough. Hyperthreading is utilized by VERY few games. Another thing I forgot to mention is that you should get a sabertooth board. They are overpriced and msi and asrock are almost always the same board for 40+ less than asus.

You got advice that you're wasting a 100euro on a CPU that won't benefit you but don't want that advice, what other advice do you want people to give you? That 100euro different could be the difference between a better GPU for the same price. Unless you are rendering video, you won't see any difference between the i5 and i7 for gaming.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Exactly, but honestly I don't think any gpu will justify the increase in price.

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Drop Z77 and a K processor. Neither are required for gaming.

Get an i5 3470 and H77M-D3H (for example, or another H77 board) and push the rest of your cash into 680. I'd get a better PSU - something like Corsair's TX 650 v2.

Well by that token a 680 isn't required for gaming over a 660, he loses a lot of potential if he steps down to a non overclockable proc. I agree about the better PSU part. I personally hate thermaltakes PSUs for anything more than paper weights.

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

What potential? Stock settings, the K versus non K is irrelevant. Overclocking isn't exactly required either. A 3470 will drive a 680 just as well as 3570K overclocked. What is the difference between 70FPS vs 90FPS? More importantly, few games actually benefit from overclocking anyway.

Ah I missed the part where he said he wasn't overclocking. My bad. You are right a 3570k will not bottleneck a 680. The difference between 70 and 90 FPS is .. well.. 20 fps.. All joking aside it is a noticeable jump in performance. Even gains as low as 10 fps would be worth the extra 10 to 20 bucks for an unlocked proc. (not including the mobo or the cooler as when the time comes he could replace those when necessary)

In short its not a super omg necessary increase in performance but its definitely their and definitely worth the extra money simply to have the option of doing so. Hes spending a lot of money on components already I think he has the budget for an extra 20 dollars on a proc, and an ASRock extreme 4 over an H series board.

But I guess if there is no changing his mind about overclocking at all ever, then yeah do what NV88 suggested.

Side note, I can't think of any non horrible pc port games that don't benefit from overclocking, what ones were you thinking of?

Sarionshadow

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Well first of all, as i send i want a future-proof computer. The unlocked versions of intel's Cpu tend to live longer if you dont overclock them.
Did anyone care to look at the difference between the two motherboards i posted, the difference in price is at least 60-70 euros and i dont even see the difference between them.
Finnaly, i will be rendering videos, since as i said i attend an art university where we learn how to do that stuff. I will also have to use programs like photoshop and stuff like that a lot, thats why i am going for the 3770k.
Is a 680 really that much big of a difference? My father does not know of such things but i am not going to deceive him. However i could easily find some minor jobs and gather a few euros to cover the difference between a 670 and a 680.

Also, i heard that the only big difference between Radeon and Nvidia this year is the Drivers, Radeon graphic cards won because of the drivers not because of their actual power.
Also dont act like i am close minded :p I am only close minded on overclocking.

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

I meant a stock 3470 vs a heavily overclocked 3570K, with a 60Hz monitor the difference between 70 and 90 is irrelevant. And a quality IPS monitor is certainly a better choice than a 120Hz TN monitor.