Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How much should I be paying for this graphics card???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 23, 2012 7:25:12 AM

Hey everyone.

I'm wondering approximately how much these graphics cards would be worth today? How much should a person be paying for these graphics cards today? I don't care about which graphics card is better or worse. I already know the order in which these graphics card go in terms of how good they are. I just want to know how much a person should be paying for these cards today?

List of graphics cards:
- EVGA GTX 295 Dual-GPU 1792MB GDDR3
- Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 X2 Dual-GPU 1GB GDDR3
- ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
- ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 (reference model)
- EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5

More about : paying graphics card

a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 7:31:04 AM

I usualy just reference ebay for older tech.... Are you selling or buying?
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 7:39:32 AM

paddys09 said:
I usualy just reference ebay for older tech.... Are you selling or buying?


I'm looking to buy, but I don't want to say how much these cards are selling for. I want people to give me an honest answer. I live in Canada too, so... yeah, there's that.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 7:48:36 AM

Not too sure tbh.... they are all fairly old... I would still be using ebay as a guide, youll find the full range of prices there...

If its a private sale, just chance your arm and offer the lowest price you think you can get away with....

In all honesty I'd be looking to put my money towards a newer card...
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 8:08:04 AM

paddys09 said:
Not too sure tbh.... they are all fairly old... I would still be using ebay as a guide, youll find the full range of prices there...

If its a private sale, just chance your arm and offer the lowest price you think you can get away with....

In all honesty I'd be looking to put my money towards a newer card...


Yeah, I realize that, but some of these cards (more specifically, the GTX 295, 460, and the HD 4870) are still really good cards, even by today's standards. Heck, the GTX 295 is still only 4 tiers down on the hierarchy chart from the GTX 690 (not that it could compare at all with the GTX 690,) but the GTX 295 is 4 generations old and it's still almost as good of a card as the GTX 480, 570, and the HD 6970 (minus the GDDR3 and only DX10.)

I don't know... I just figure if I can get these cards cheap, then I would still be happy, considering I don't care so much about 1080p resolution and DX11 features anyway. I'm fine with 720p resolution and high details. I figure what's the point in spending $300+ on a card that's only a tiny bit more powerful than a card that's half the price or lower, you know what I mean?
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 8:36:45 AM

don't buy a 295(as well as the 3870x2) as its a horrible card with buggy SLI performance on it and it running hot and loud. Its performance can be anywhere from a 6670 to a 6850 but its not worth the trouble.

$50 max for the 4850/4870 and $70 max for the 460 used.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 9:01:53 AM

They are so outdated, I don't even know why someone would want one. It could be good to use one as a second GPU. To run other things while your gaming on a REAL card.

m
0
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 10:02:51 AM

4850 is around $50. I tried selling mine for that on Criags list and failed. $40 is probably more realistic. GTX460 assuming it is the good 256bit 1GB model is around 80 to 90. 4870 is a 50-60.

As for the dual they can be trickier. Sometimes people want them because they think CF/SLI is fast no matter what they use. They can also matter to collectors. From a pure performance stand point I'd put the 3870x2 at no more then $75, and probably more like $50. (it has issues being as fast as a 4850/4870.) The GTX295 can perform quite well, so $150 or so. This is all USA dollars of course so Canadian can change things. And yes I know about current conversion rates.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 10:41:42 AM

I can't believe the cards are worth that much. I didn't check them out on ebay or amazon, but it sounds like some nice pocket money.

Please post how much you sell them for. Just curious as to the market on 2+ year old gpu s.
m
0
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 11:50:17 AM

About 3 mo ago I just bought my GTX460. That's about what I paid for it to be shipped to my house. (I got it and a Samsung 128GB SSD for $188.) I don't think the value has fell that much more since then. Rather then Ebay I'd scout the FS/FT forums found on sites such as this, Anand, and HardOCP. I know Hard forum does its best to be at or beat Ebay prices.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 8:06:26 PM

4745454b said:
4850 is around $50. I tried selling mine for that on Criags list and failed. $40 is probably more realistic. GTX460 assuming it is the good 256bit 1GB model is around 80 to 90. 4870 is a 50-60.

As for the dual they can be trickier. Sometimes people want them because they think CF/SLI is fast no matter what they use. They can also matter to collectors. From a pure performance stand point I'd put the 3870x2 at no more then $75, and probably more like $50. (it has issues being as fast as a 4850/4870.) The GTX295 can perform quite well, so $150 or so. This is all USA dollars of course so Canadian can change things. And yes I know about current conversion rates.


Yeah, I heard that the HD 3870 X2 had issues with AA and other settings like that, but in terms of raw performance (excluding AA and such) it performed at about the same level as an HD 4850, and close to the same performance as the HD 4870, which is why I sort-of assumed it would be around the same price point as the HD 4850 and HD 4870.

The GTX 295 seems like a fantastic card, and most certainly the best card in terms of raw performance out of the bunch that I listed, even by today's standards, which is why I predicated it to be the most expensive out of the bunch.


m
0
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 7:59:26 AM

Pretty much yes. The GTx460/560(non TI) is around the speed of the GTX280/285. Two of them even if they are lower clocked should give you lots of speed. I'm not sure where, but GTX480/570 at least is my guess. Yes the power is bad, emits tons of heat, lacks DX11, etc. But still not horrible. I personally wouldn't touch one but for the right price it might be worth it for some.
m
0
l
!