Looking for a replacement for 8800 gts

thedutcharmy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Hey guys,
I recently had my video card go out in my desktop, The card was a 8800 gts 640 mb It was top of the line when I got it 4-5 years ago. Anyway that card served me well it would even play most modern games at mid to high settings. But with the card getting burnt out I'm now looking for a replacement that is just as good or better. Do you guys have any suggestions on good solid cards that are not too pricy I'm on a bit of a budget (stupid college) :p this go around looking to spend around 150. The constant change of model numbers can be a bit confusing as to what is equivalent/better.

I'm still kicking myself, half the reason I bought the 8800 gts was it has a lifetime warranty however I didn't know I had to register it within 30 days of buying it to get the warranty... its a bit bogus if you ask me....

any way any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Me too, but have to say, on that end of the scale AMD usually takes the win. The 550ti is a bit of a dud, I've never recommended it to anyone!

Tbh its not a bad time to consider an AMD card, if you were to go a bit over budget you could have something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121623

All depends on the rest of your system though?.... You don't want to be CPU limited and a 7770 or equivilent may be all you need depending on games/resolution

I wouldn't go for the 550Ti either. The 7770 is considerably faster and uses less power at the same time:

AVG%20Perf%20LOW.png