Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video card upgrade on a micrATX gaming rig

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2012 10:27:27 AM

Hello,
My microATX gaming rig needs a cooler running GPU setup! Overheats have always been the limitation of what my system can do. I'm thinking of ditching the crossfire but my PCIe 2.0x16 slots run at x8 even with a single card.(DFI LP JR P45 T2RS mobo)

Can I run GTX 660 TI in a PCIe 2.0x16@x8 slot with minimal loss?

What are the coolest running gaming gpus right now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 11:30:00 AM

The best way to avoid overheating issues is buying a bigger case for your system. You would also need it to fit any good GPU out there.

Zotac's GTX 660ti is pretty good.
m
l

Best solution

September 23, 2012 1:01:14 PM

Can check temps on a recent review here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

IF you are looking at the 660 ti i would suggest Either go for 7870 which is ~$80 less and pretty close to 660 it average performance. Or for the same price as the 660 ti get the 7950...

Now if they are going to fit is another matter =)
Related resources
September 24, 2012 12:58:54 AM

my rig specs:

CPU::QX9650(@3.Ghz)
Motherboard:: DFI LP JR P45 T2RS
Memory::G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
Graphics Card::radeon 2x 4850 in crossfire
Cooling::Noctua NH-C12P
Case::Supertalent ST161B Micro-ATX Tower, Black
Power Supply::Corsair TX850
Hard Drive::system:2x 150g velociraptor RAID0,
Sound Card::integrated
Operating System: 7 Ultimate
Mouse:Logitech wireless
Keyboard::same

The GPUs are ASUS and they vent inside the case.. also they are right on top of each other on the mobo... I knew soon after I bought them that crossfire was not worth the squeeze but I gotta try every new thing on the market... I'm not happy with ATI in general.. I just got borderlands 2 and can't force v-sync even with radeon pro. I'm hearing nvidia/Phys-x is what's up for that game at least...

My mobo is designed for crossfire and has 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 slots but even with one card will only do x16 @ x8... can't seem to find any better mobos though. I need socket 775 with raid and PCIe2.0 if anyone knows a source. Hate to move on from this rig as the cpu retailed for about $1000 US.

Thanks for all the ideas.. I read the "Best video cards sept. 2012" article here and 7870 is soundin pretty good..... now to find the coolest running model on the above mentioned list.... Tom

PS.. I modded my case to accept extra fans and I think with a single card that vents outside the case..it will be fine. The coiled fan wires on the right are for 3 stealth fans that blow right on the cards(attached to case cover panel)This is a lan party rig...

m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 1:36:23 AM

In the short term you can look into adding an extra fan to either blow air into the two cards or to draw air away from them. That is what I am about to do with my recent m-atx build.
m
l
September 24, 2012 1:50:39 AM

@ surgeking
Thanks for the link.. was useful but I'd really like to see a chart showing which brand/model 7870 runs the coolest.. had the best cooling solution. I'm thinking maybe the xfx version with 2 fans? do they really vent outside the case?
m
l
October 2, 2012 7:30:54 AM

Best answer selected by xltom.
m
l
!