Custom Build Check (for Photoshop/Lightroom)

McJohnE

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hi guys,

This is my first PC build, and just wondering if the below configuration will:

1) Work?
2) If so, work optimally?
3) If not maybe some pointers?

CPU:
Intel XEON E5-1650 (Sandy Bridge-EP)
12M Cache, 3.2Ghz, 6 cores

MOTHERBOARD:
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI Intel® C606 Express Chipset

GRAPHICS CARD:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB

MEMORY:
G.Skill DDR3-1600 32GB Quad Channel

POWER SUPPLY:
OCZ FATAL1TY 750W 80+ SLI MODULAR PSU

CASE:
Gigabyte GZ-X1 Black Midi Tower Case

I'm switching back to the 'darkside' after being with Mac for a while—just got sick of Apple being so slow to release pro workstations!

Ohh, and I just realised how much I've been getting ripped off when you check the $$ on custom builds!!

Thanks heaps in advance guys :)

Mark
Melbourne, Australia

t53186

Distinguished

Hi Mark,

What you have picked will work well. Don't think you need the XEON, but it will do just fine. No hard drives/SSD listed though. I have a similar build for the same purposes you have outlined, maybe even a bit more. I'm using CS6 and 3DS max design.

I have great success with a 240GB SSD and 4 500GB drives in raid 10.

McJohnE

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey!

Thanks for your quick response!

... Yeah I was thinking about going the 6-core i7 3930K (Sandy Bridge-E), but they are the same price and the Xeon has PCI 3.0 support & 375GB max RAM (Although I'm starting off with 32GB of RAM.

RE: HHDs .... I've got a 240GB OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD that I'm currently using in my Macbook Pro that I was going to switch over to use as my System Drive.

My working drive was going to be a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200. I wonder if that will bottleneck my work on large files?

Maybe I should use your method and build an array of 4x500GB instead? Do you use your Raid array or SSD for scratch?

Cheers
Mark