AMD ATHLON 700MHz Problem

G

Maybe someone has came across this before....
I have a AMD ATHLON 700MHz Slot A Processor with a ASUS K7M Motherboard. My problem is that my system severly lags when the hard drive is accessed. I have recently upped the memory to 512MB and pulled out my 20GB Segate and installed a 60GB Seagate barracuda. I then reinstalled Windows 98 Second edition and I am still seeing bad lag, especially when copying from a CD to the hard drive. The CD Reads quick, but when the hard drive light comes on for writing...the whole system lags and the mouse moves very slow. Before I reinstalled Windows 98 the system lagged really bad ALL the time even when not really doing anything. I had pulled out everything in the system except for the Memory, video and hard drive and still see horrible performance....Could their be a compatibility issue that someone knows about? My BIOS shows correct voltage levels and I do not think the system is overheating....I got 3 large fans in the case and are NOT overclocking....ideas???? HELP!!!!!!

G

After enabling DMA on both the CDROM and the Hard drive, I noticed the mouse lag went away, but the system still lagged badly. The CDROM would read, then hard drive would write, then no response from the operating system for about 3-5 seconds then it starts all over again. During the pause after writing to the disk I can move the mouse, but the system does not respond to my clicks until it starts reading from the CD again. I also noticed when I download and install the ASUS IDE drives from their web site that my computer will not boot in Normal mode. It just locks up during the bootup screen. I suppose I can get a bootlog of what failed.
Again this is a ASUS K7M with a seagate 60GB Barracuda IDE/ATA100 drive. I am usuing the drive with the ATA100 Port and cable, cant tell for sure if it is in ATA100 mode. Any other Ideas?

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, that motherboard doesn't have an ATA100 controller, it has an ATA66 controller, but that's not the problem. If it's not already this way, place your hard drive and CDROM on seperate IDE channels, and both as master. Download AMD's drivers from the following link and install:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMDdrvpk_130.exe

Let me know how it goes.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucol on 11/20/01 03:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>