New build to be OC in the future

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2012 2:13:47 PM

Hi,

I am trying to buy a new computer on this black friday weekend.

I am looking for a small, quiet config and i am trying to keep the price below 800$, max top 1000$ with monitor.
I already have the keyboard, mouse and S.O.

I am going to use it a lot for working and sometimes to play some games. I am not the gamer i was but i would like to enjoy some of the new games.

I am not a fan of SLI so i am not considering it at all.

I live in Orlando and my plan was to buy it on Amazon or Newegg.

So far this is what i have decided:

MOB: Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
CPU: i5 3570k
Cooler: I am ot going to OC until next year, so maybe i can stay with the stock and buy a noctua when i decided to OC. Not sure.
RAM: 8Gb but not sure at all which one.
GPU: Something that allow me to play but keeping the budget. I have been looking to the HD7770 but not sure if 1Gb or 2Gb.
SSD: M4 Crucial or Samsung 830. Price will be the key to choose between this two.
HDD: 1Tb or 2TB. Not sure what specs to look at.
PSU: Seasonic 550W
Case: Something smaller and quiet. And below 100$.
Monitor: No idea. The cheaper i could find between 20" and 26".

What do you think?

Thank you for your help.

More about : build future

November 19, 2012 8:31:32 PM

If you are not looking for crossfire, I think there are better mobos, in terms of quality at reasonable price. The Fractal case is one of the quietest. The Asus monitor has reasonable IPS panel, so better multi-purpose than most. You can add CPU cooler, as and when you want to overclock. If that's going to be soon, it can be worth doing from start, to save hassle of changing.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($116.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($107.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.72 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $957.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-19 17:24 EST-0500)

The price for processor is very good, but only available in-store. If you don't have local Microcentre, you will pay $45+ more (not sure how long deal is for)
November 20, 2012 2:45:07 PM

Hi, thank you very much.

About the mobo, do you think that the gigabyte you selected is worth the 12$ difference? What are the reasons to choose one or the other. Lot of people reccomend me the Asrock, but i must say i like Gigabyte Motherboards.

For the cpu cooler, the problem is that i am sure i am not going to OC until next year for sure, and if i buy the cheapest cooler (H212 for example) it will cost me 30$ but i will need to replace it for a noctua for sure if i want to go for high OC. So i do not really see the point on paying 30$ extra now.

I could buy the Noctua right now, but that is 90$ that i am not going to use.
The stock cooler must be enough to keep the computer at good temperatures during this year. What do you think?

Case: Is it worth to spend those $ on the case? Will i notice it the difference when not playing, i mean, just working?

I do not need any optical drive. :) 

This is what i had so far before to read your post:

• Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
  • ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US
  • Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
  • SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...
  • SAMSUNG B30 Series S24B30BL Matte Black 23.6" 5ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

This add up to 789,92$ what is really on the budget plus the graphics card that i need to choose:
    I am thinking on one of this two,but i am open to new suggestions.
    Sound and price are the most important thing to consider.

• SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )

Any other suggestions are welcome. :D 
    Related resources
    Can't find your answer ? Ask !
    November 20, 2012 3:32:32 PM

On cooler, there's no need to upgrade, from stock cooler unless/until you're going to overclock. Decide then, how good a one you want. It's just a bit extra hassle, changing.
    The Asrock is OK for features and performance, and, at the price, a good deal. It's not the greatest in terms of quality, for that I'd much prefer Gigabyte, or Asus. The biggest "pain" with the ASRock is that, for some obscure reason, they made it slightly smaller than standard ATX, so the fixing holes don't line up properly in most cases. Not a total disaster, just a pain.
    On graphics cards (your links don't work, by the way), the HD6870 is a bit better than the HD7770, although it's last generation, and isn't as power efficient. If budget will allow, you can get a 2GB HD7850, for around $30 (usually, but no links, to be sure) more than a HD6870. That is worth the jump, if you can.

On case, you did say you wanted quiet case, under $100. So I selected quietest case, for that figure. Nothing wrong with the Rosewill, but not as quiet.
    November 20, 2012 3:48:31 PM

malbluff said:
    On cooler, there's no need to upgrade, from stock cooler unless/until you're going to overclock. Decide then, how good a one you want. It's just a bit extra hassle, changing.

No problem for changing it. It is good to clean up a little sometimes. I will go with the stock and use that money maybe to upgrade the GPU.
    malbluff said:
    The Asrock is OK for features and performance, and, at the price, a good deal. It's not the greatest in terms of quality, for that I'd much prefer Gigabyte, or Asus. The biggest "pain" with the ASRock is that, for some obscure reason, they made it slightly smaller than standard ATX, so the fixing holes don't line up properly in most cases. Not a total disaster, just a pain.

It is required to make any holes? I have not any of my tools here so that will be something to consider.
    malbluff said:
    On graphics cards (your links don't work, by the way), the HD6870 is a bit better than the HD7770, although it's last generation, and isn't as power efficient. If budget will allow, you can get a 2GB HD7850, for around $30 (usually, but no links, to be sure) more than a HD6870. That is worth the jump, if you can.

The point is that 6870 is just 10$ more and it looks like much better Card than the hd7770.
    unless i started to play a lot again, i am not sure i will need to upgrade it on 12-16 months.
    But on the other hand, as i do not play so much, not sure if the extra money will worth. I will have a look to offers for the 7850...

malbluff said:
    On case, you did say you wanted quiet case, under $100. So I selected quietest case, for that figure. Nothing wrong with the Rosewill, but not as quiet.

My mistake. :)  I found this one so cheap and i think it will be perfect for now.
    November 20, 2012 3:52:59 PM
    November 20, 2012 4:09:18 PM
    November 20, 2012 6:07:07 PM

djangoringo said:
    Why not this gpu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better than these two.

I am considering a 7850 and that is a good suggestion. Thanks!

djangoringo said:
    i'd recommend a ips monitor if it fits the buget :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or

this monitor at the same price : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

How can i know if a monitor is IPS or not?
    I thought that the one i choose was.

djangoringo said:
    Ditch that ram buy this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will that memory clash with the cpu Cooler in case i buy one in the future?
    Also I am considering to buy this motherboard with the free memory included. 99$ everything included.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    The price cannot be better.

djangoringo said:
    Go for the samsung 830 ssd : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will i notice the difference? Lot of people says i wont... It is only 15$ but i could use the 15$on the GPU.

Thanks thats better than the one i had selected.
    November 20, 2012 6:35:00 PM

i though the samsung 830 was cheaper, my bad.
    The board is inferior but with that that ram as offer and in a tight budget, i'd go for it.
    The samsung one isn't a ips one, for the cheapest ips available within your budget only the asus which is a good one.
    November 20, 2012 6:45:14 PM

After some reading it is not clear for me that i really need an IPS monitor.

I am not sure what are the benefits...

Thanks
    November 20, 2012 6:50:38 PM

After more reading, i understand the differences and i will go for the IPS one. :D 

Thanks

November 21, 2012 1:03:38 PM

Hi,

I have more or less everything but i am now looking for a good case.

Price is important, future good airflow for cooling is also something to consider and i would like something quiet. I am not sure if the airflow will be ok with that fractal case for overclocking.

I am not sure if that is possible at all, for now i am looking to this options:

COOLER MASTER Silencio 450 RC-450-KKN1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $69.99
    Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC Computer Case $59.99
    COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ $59.99
    Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $54.99
    BitFenix Merc Alpha Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $49.99
    Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, $49.99
    Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid $59.99 -20off

But again, i will consider the price too, so if there is any offer on friday that goes below that price with good performance...

Thanks