Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is it possible to set the boundaries of thermal throttling Yourself?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2012 1:16:39 PM

Yeah I know, but when it reaches 70 degrees it downclocks itself -15mhz! I already set my fan profile as i want it (65 degrees = 95% fan). I don't want it to downclock itself.
EDIT: GPU = GTX 670
Score
September 23, 2012 7:09:19 PM

I'm okay with GPU Boost enabled. I just want it to downclock itself only at 75 degrees instead of 70!
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 7:27:10 PM

Downclocking and thermal throttling is totally different things. Thermal throttling just stops your card.
Score
September 24, 2012 12:40:43 PM

Thermal throttling downclocks your card when it reaches 70 degrees and I don't want that. I guess there is no way to do that...
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 12:51:26 PM

R3alityzzzzz said:
Thermal throttling downclocks your card when it reaches 70 degrees and I don't want that. I guess there is no way to do that...

That's not thermal throttling.
Score
September 24, 2012 5:10:40 PM

"It throttles your (GPU) speed to prevent it from burning up, the % I guess would represent the index by which the Mhz lowered"
Score
September 24, 2012 6:55:02 PM

BigMack70 said:
Technically, thermal throttling is what would happen around 95C (or whatever the exact Tmax is) when your GPU would basically shut down.

Incorrect. Look up CPU thermal throttling, even in my BIOS you can change the values of how much lower the CPU clock when temp reaches x degrees.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 6:59:16 PM

R3alityzzzzz said:
Incorrect. Look up CPU thermal throttling, even in my BIOS you can change the values of how much lower the CPU clock when temp reaches x degrees.

Well as you're the expert perhaps you could tell the OP how to do the same on the GPU, oh wait you are the OP! :pfff: 
Score
September 24, 2012 7:10:57 PM

Oh sorreeeeyyy!!! So now it's my fault to ask a question? I just said, that my bios includes the option to change when the CPU has to downclock itself. I opened this thread to ASK how to do the SAME on GPU. I tryed to disable GPU Boost and it didn't work at all. Running the Kombustor 2.4 benchmark - 70 degrees and it downclocks itself. Thanks for the answers, if even a moderator doesn't know the answer, I guess noone does.

P.S. I see our moderator likes to use :pfff:  <- this emoticon a lot.
Score
September 24, 2012 7:15:48 PM

Best answer selected by R3alityzzzzz.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 7:17:31 PM

R3alityzzzzz said:
Oh sorreeeeyyy!!! So now it's my fault to ask a question? I just said, that my bios includes the option to change when the CPU has to downclock itself. I opened this thread to ASK how to do the SAME on GPU. I tryed to disable GPU Boost and it didn't work at all. Running the Kombustor 2.4 benchmark - 70 degrees and it downclocks itself. Thanks for the answers, if even a moderator doesn't know the answer, I guess noone does.

P.S. I see our moderator likes to use :pfff:  <- this emoticon a lot.

Being all knowing is not a requirement to be a moderator and yes I do despair when folk such as yourself argue with what they are told when they have no idea what the answer is themselves.
Score
!