Supah Fly

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
It all started happening yesterday. No hardware or software changes at all. Just starting up some Battlefield 3 and everything was running in slow motion. I recorded the game with dxtory and it turned out that the video it recorded was as if it was just running normally. But the video track was about half the time of the audio track. If I stretched out the video to match the audio track, it looks just as it did on my screen while I recorded it.

Specs (nothing overclocked):
CPU: Core i7 950
GPU: nVidia GTS 250
MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
RAM: 6gb of some major brand (I hardly think it's relevant, I've never had any issues with ram)

The graphics card has been having issues for a while now. Videos rendered in Sony Vegas would flicker and shift colors if I used GPU acceleration. Playing Arma 2 for too long would crash my system. I can play Call of Duty games fine, though. Some OpenGL games work like Minecraft. Windows Aero things like when you minimize/restore/open windows goes about half speed, right clicking/hovering over program icons in the taskbar to bring up the menu/preview takes about half time.

I don't get what the problem is. I have the drivers from about 4 months ago but the game hasn't patched and I haven't made any software/hardware changes since it was last working properly. What would cause it to go from working alright to going in slow motion? I tried looking around but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Is my GPU completely screwed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Supah Fly

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
From what you're saying it seems to be a temperature problem. Use a gpu monitoring software... gpu-z etc. - anything above 88 celsius for that GPU is bad. Idle shoud be about 35-40 degrees.

For as long as I can remember my idle temperature has been around 56 celsius. When I play games it goes to about 70 celsius. Is that horrible?

Top Cat9

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hi, have you changed from speakers to headset and then just unplugged the headset without changing the audio settings back? I had a similar problem and discovered that this was the cause.

Good luck