Mitsubishi LCD1980SX

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Anyone heard anything about this new 19" lcd. Does it ghost much? Are the colors vibrant and crisp? Any info would help me out...thanx!

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Okay...i just bought this and it's a beautiful LCD...Large, has vibrancy that make me want to touch the monitor. The contrast is great. No dead pixels or subpixels...got it at dell for 791$...that's fairly good for a higher end 19inch LCD. The ghosting is hardly noticed in hardly ever...it has much less than an mva monitor that's for sure...even though both their responses are 25ms. I would recommend this monitor. It's gorgeous to look at. You can find it for 815 at newegg...and it has more options than any LCD I have come across.

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
How does this compare to Samsung 191T?
The 191T received stellar reviews in various forums while this NEC is little known. In canada, this NEC is about $300 CAN more expensive than 191T. Is it worth it?

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Well, the Samsung 191T is a good monitor...i looked at it. When I was in the store with flourescent lights though...two monitors really stood out. Meaning they overcome the washed out look of the diffusing lights at Fry's Electronics (and it really wasn't the glare protection, but it's vibrancy, brightness and contrast. One was the NEC-Mitsubishi 1980SX and the other was the New Sony 19" HS93. At Fry's Electronics the Sony had a pricetag of 900$, while at Dell.com the NEC has a price of when you catch their FREQUENT 15% off peripheral sail was for 791 shipped (newegg has it for 809)...Anyways, the 191T is valued at the least 609$. So you can say I paid 180$ more...with the benefit from dell of returning the monitor for free and getting a new one in case it had dead pixels (a nice bonus from dell).

Now the specs on the Sony screen were a little better but the screen performance looked rather the same... the NEC has 600 contrast in some ratings and 700 in others. The Sony always has 700 contrast. Brightness is the same and adequate. The Sony was beautiful, but then it had the dumbest feature (no DVI input) on a screen that expensive...can you imagine. What dumb thing to do...instead it has two DSub inputs...but the NEC has two dvi and one dsub inputs...and more options in it's interface. The Nec also has a thin boarder around it's screen while sony's is monstrous. Still the Sony looked nice, but not really nicer. It's so funny how Sony makes some really nice stuff and pure crap all rolled into the same product.

Well, that's my review...make of it what you will. Oh, about the Samsung 191T...it didn't look as good to be blunt.

genRel

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
Well I just ordered this monitor from Dell for $749. I’m a bit worried about the pixel response time though. I wasn’t planning on buying it, but Dell is currently having a 10% off sale and a “$35 off on all peripherals over $400 dollars” coupon. Although I don’t play much games, when I do, I don’t want the trails to be distracting. Anyway, I will post back when I receive the monitor. (I took the free shipping so it will take about 3-5 days.)

genRel

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
Well, I just got an email from Dell saying that they won't be able to ship till the 3rd of next month. I am debating on canceling the order. As I said in my previous post, I am concerned about the response time of this LCD. Does anyone else have this monitor and play games? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

ThreeSpy

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I just plugged my new 1980sx in tonight. I also ordered it from dell.com. Sorry, I probably got the last one in stock. I just finished playing SOF2 and I had no problem with ghosting or tearing at all! The image quality and crispness of the picture is amazing. I am running it next to my old 19in. KDS crt and there is no comparison. The 1980sx is just hands down better. I would keep your order with dell.com. btw, no dead pixels at all.

genRel

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
Thanks for the reply threespy. Maybe I should just see how it turns out. It will probably take another 2 weeks before I get it… I believe Dell allows returns.

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Hi GenRel...

Dell usually says it won't ship for a week...that's what they told me anyways. But I got it within about 4 days really fast. Apparently there ship date is the latest date it will go out before you are refunded. Hope you get it soon

kilgry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Does the 1980SX trail as badly as the 191T?

Best test for this is to fire up UT2003 and play on CTF-Avaris. Head to one of the walls that contain the hieroglyphs and get up close (there is one in a hall with some statues with a glowing mist at their feet. It's behind a waving banner at the end of this hall). Then move your characters head slowly left and right. On the 191T you will see some terrible trailing which blurs the writing. On an AU screen it will trail just a tad but not nearly as badly.

genRel

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
Imagine my surprise when I got home yesterday to see an NEC monitor box on my front porch. I connected it to my Nvida GeForce 4 4600’s DVI port. I had no problems and immediately got a great picture (no dead pixels). I did reduce the brightens slightly. I then proceeded to play UT2003, Battlefield 1942, and a DVD. In UT2003 I was able to set the monitor to its native resolution. Unfortunately, BF1942’s maximum resolution was just below native. The DVD, of course, was at the native resolution of 1280 x 1024. I can safely say that I did not notice any trails in UT2003 at all. While watching the DVD, I did not notice any slow pixel response as well. BF1942 was a different story. At times it would look fine, but there were times when the trails were definitely noticeable. I am now wondering if this has to do with it not running at the native resolution. Anyway, is it a keeper? Probably. Although it isn’t the nicest looking monitor, it does save a lot of space, which I can always use more of. Also the amount of heat it puts out and energy consumption is negligible compared to my high end 19” Sony CRT. I will be doing more testing, and will post back here with my findings.

kilgry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
genRel,

Can you give me test a try? Would love to know how it does.:

"Best test for this is to fire up UT2003 and play on CTF-Avaris (included in one of the offical free map-paks). Head to one of the walls that contain the hieroglyphs and get up close (there is one in a hall with some statues with a glowing mist at their feet. It's behind a waving banner at the end of this hall). Then move your characters head slowly left and right. On the 191T you will see some terrible trailing which blurs the writing. On an AU screen it will trail just a tad but not nearly as badly."

I just hate the AU screens for their lack of "real" colors. They really start to look like crap after a few days. Feels like we are moving back to the 256 color days. I want my 16 million colors and 20ms response rate! (my cake and eat it too...oh, make it a 19" too please :).

genRel

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
Kilgry,

I downloaded the map that you talked about and tried the test. Yes there is ghosting. How bad? It’s not unplayable, but your score will probably suffer some. I did notice tearing as well. For casual play its ok, but the hardcore gamers will want to stay clear of this monitor. I also played C&C Generals with decent results. Even though it is unable to reach the native resolution, what ghosting there was, didn’t effect the game play much.

I read Tom’s latest review of this monitor in the 19” round-up, and I think it deserves a better score than it did in several of the games, especially in C&C Generals.

kilgry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Sound similar to how the Samsung 191T was, playable but would give you a headache since your eyes are trying to focus all the time. At first I found games like C&C not so bad but then it really start to bug me how blurry the image would become when scrolling around the map. I then started to notice this when scrolling through web pages too. I've got used to reading the text while scrolling slowing on my CRT. With a AU LCD screen you can scroll and read but found on the Proview it would "flash" the text while scrolling making for a feeling of some really bad CRT refresh rates.

Thanks for trying out the UT2003 test. I do think that is a good one for people to be trying out. Perhaps Tom could use it in his reviews.