Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Home Premium Hangs on Start-up repair

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2010 7:17:27 AM

Recently bought a dual-fan harddrive cooler,
I turned off my PC, Disconnected Hard-Drive,PCI cord (It was in the way), Removed old Floppy drive, then booted. Upon startup its Says Windows was unable to start, some windows files were damaged, it provided 2 options, 1: repair using windows start-up repair or 2:Use a hard-drive diagnostic scan tool. I have tried to repair countless times, it says loading files, then goes to a black screen, using the diagnostic tool no errors were found, should I run the tool for longer(I only ran one pass)?
January 25, 2010 9:32:47 AM

Make sure that the BIOS is set to Floppy Drive 'disabled' first, If the system is looking for it, this will give an error. If the hard drive you disconected is the only one in your system, then you may have re-connected it on the wrong connector on your motherboard. When Windows boots - all versions - it looks to a particular hard drive that was configured as boot when you installed the OS and if it does not find an OS there it will not boot and give you this error - either look on you motherboard again and check the other ports, or configure your BIOS to boot from the port/disk shown as your hard drive there. It is probably the floppy or 'lack of' causing the problem start there.
m
l
January 25, 2010 9:46:49 AM

I will try that out, having a bit of trouble getting into BIOS, I don't know if you have Win7 but when on start up it shows an animated I guess animation :) , it's been getting a little bit further over a period of time, maybe 2 or three pixels more. Brb
m
l
January 25, 2010 10:26:28 AM

fearlessfred said:
Make sure that the BIOS is set to Floppy Drive 'disabled' first, If the system is looking for it, this will give an error. If the hard drive you disconected is the only one in your system, then you may have re-connected it on the wrong connector on your motherboard. When Windows boots - all versions - it looks to a particular hard drive that was configured as boot when you installed the OS and if it does not find an OS there it will not boot and give you this error - either look on you motherboard again and check the other ports, or configure your BIOS to boot from the port/disk shown as your hard drive there. It is probably the floppy or 'lack of' causing the problem start there.

I've switced off the floppy drive, actually it was diasbled already in bios, changed all the ports of which my hard drive could plug into and still no boot, Im wondering whether I knocked the HDD around a bit too much while removing and putting it back in. Could this be a possibility, I cannot boot from disk, in safemode, debug mode, virtually all the modes available.
m
l
Related resources
!