Need sound advice (no pun intended)

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I now have crackling, or can hear crackling in my onboard sound, and I'm assuming it's the onboard sound and not the speakers. I need to replace this thing.

I am using 2 sets of Labtec Pulse-424's at the moment, saving for something better in the future.

I need a sound card that is capable of using this setup as 4.2 or 4.1 as it would read it. And can handle all kinds of sound. What is the best advice out there, short of a new audigy card, let's call the cap $100, I want the best price/performance capable of course. Help me out fellas, at the moment I'm leaning toward the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and have a bead on one for less than $20 that a guy ripped out of a Dell setup. Thanks

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd definitely agree. Unless you have your heart set on a breakout box (Live/Audigy Platinum or Game Theater XP), then absolutely go for the $20 Santa Cruz.

Oh, BTW. You might want to check and make sure it's not some Dell-specific BIOS in the card, or something.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Yeah, the guy says it WILL work in any PC, but you never know, thanks for the tip. I think I'll go with a Santa Cruz regardless, as I've never heard a bad thing said about it.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."