How can I not max out GW2??

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
How can I not max out Guild Wars 2 with my setup?
All settings maxed out, including supersampling, FXAA and all reflections, I hardly get 60FPS in normal gameplay. In combat I almost drop below 30. When I turn around I get FPS drops most of the time. In busy fights I run about 25 FPS

And that with this build:

Intel Core i7 - 3770k @ 4,2Ghz
Corsair H100 liquid cooling
16GB G.Skill ripjaws 2133Mhz Quad-kit
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD
(Extra 500GB random HDD for storage)
XFX 1050W Black Edition PSU
2x Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB in SLI
Raven RV02-e

Temps reach up to almost 80 C on GPU1, GPU2 around 70 C.
CPU hardly hits 55 C with GW2

Current driver: 306.23
I have tried any other driver (beta AND WHQL drivers). But they all perform bad.

Is this a game problem, or do my GPU's have a problem? Other games run fine.. So I can't see why I can't max it :S

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Yes, sorry for not mentioning that. I currently still game on 1 screen (1920x1080).. I've consired a surround setup, but my desk is too small because I use a 27" screen.. Buying 2 extra won't fit, going back to smaller sized screens is hard :p

I'm not how I can notice if Guild Wars 2 is using my SLI right. The only thing I can see, is that both GPU's Core load hit 99% during the game. So that's why I expected the SLI actually worked.

I think I have to wait for some patches then. Guild Wars updates, or maybe newer drivers.

Have you tried turning the SLi indicators on?

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I had 2 6850s in CF and guild wars 2 ran like crap, It ran alot better with just one card. Now im running a 7970 and I can max it out and get 60fps the lowest I got was in the 40s in a decent group fight. Ima go play some more and try to find a big big group fight and see how many frames I get. But try it with just one card like others said.

Turn off Supersampling for starters. SSAA for many years has been one of the most insanely demanding settings, and generally not usable on any game that isn't really super easy to max without it.

It is also completely unnecessary to use FXAA with SSAA or visa versa. They do the same thing for the most part, only SSAA is much better at it and far more demanding.

mace200200

Honorable
As mentioned earlier, guild wars is really messed up. They're still working on getting it to run more efficently, but I think that their biggest priority for now is to fix all the glitches in the game first. Before that they were dealing with all the hackers and stuff, it's lower on the list of things for them to do yet is basically what I'm saying.

For reference the rig in my signature will max it out, minus shadows I run on low, reflections on the mid setting, and view distance on high, not ultra. And of course I don't use SSAA.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I don't always use supersampling, but if I set everything to max, and disable SSAA, I still get crappy FPS, and not as good as the review promisses.. My brother runs a single GTX 680 (Phantom 4GB) and runs it even worse than me.. (He is using a Phenom II x4 955 BE, what probably is his bottleneck)

I would just run everything on high, FXAA, native rendering sampling until you see a driver update from Nvidia stating a specific fix or GW2 puts out a fix. I suspect GW2 will put out a performance fix but I think it wont be for a month or more since they do have other bugs etc to work out now..

G

I have exactly the same problem, when i turn camera to see what is behind me, then sometimes my fps fall from around 50fps to 1-5fps. Then after few seconds fps is going back to 50. I have no any problems with other games at maxed settings like battlefield3, witcher2 etc.
My config i5 3570k 4.5Ghz, GB Gtx660ti, crucial m4, 16gb ram, 1920x1080 max settings.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I think that lagg while turning is because the GPU has to render a whole new view in a few seconds.. And when some of the objects aren't loaded to the RAM he has to load them first..
I gues.. I'm not sure.. I just think it goes this way.. correct me if I'm wrong

The last couple posts make me think this game engine is just like Gothic 3's game engine. When ever you enter a new area, when you turn around, it has horrible lag while game files are loaded. After that, it runs smooth. That was one of the worst game engines I've played.

nvidia cards aren't doing too well in guildwars 2 from what I see, mostly SLI won't work well. Some other minor problems but the consensus on the gw2 forums is nvidia cards seem to have more problems than the AMD ones. Its the complete other way around with CPU tho.

How so? Nvidia don't make CPU's! :lol:

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

SSAA is not a menace for nvidia 600 series cards I've a gtx 660 ti and I get 38.2 fps in heaven 3.0 with everthing else maxed and 8x MSAA while if I turn MSAA off and use 8x SSAA from nv control panel I get 63.8 fps.
Even anandtech showed how other GPUs get humbled by nvidia 600 series when SSAA is used

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/12

I've also started a discussion thread on this here,so feel free to post your opinion there too

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/371780-33-anti-aliasing-7xxx-gpus#t2799334

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
^ how can you prove that?
the image quality is also getting a boost in unigine heaven when I'm using SSAA.
how can you prove SSAA is bandwidth dependent not shader dependent?

SSAA is not available through the Nvidia Control panel. You are probably thinking about SSAA on transparencies. To use SSAA on Nvidia, you either have to use it on a game that has support built in, or use Nvidia Inspector to force it on. On AMD they have it listed in their CCC.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
ok yes I used the transparency option then
But now I've tried running heaven benchmark again with these settings in nv inspector -

nvidia_20120928_134011.png

The AA effect was incredible but still I got 63 fps which is 0.8 fps lower.(Also note that I tweaked texture filtering to high quality and LOD bias to -1.5 this time so a drop was expected) still 0.8 fps is negligible.

Also I don't want to hijack this thread as OP's own problems need to be sorted out so its better we discuss these in the Anti-aliasing thread(link of which I've posted already),I only suggested it might not be SSAA hampering his performance.
I'm looking forward to more suggestions from you in the appropriate thread.

Do you see where it said "Antialiasing - Setting", and you have it set to "8xQ [8x Multisampling]", that is the setting we are talking about. That is the AA setting. You have done exactly what they have in the Nvidia control panel under AA Transparencies, which only applies SSAA to a specific type of texture, and not the whole frame.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Actually no.When I enable this option in nv inspector I checked nv control panel and nothing changed in the AA transparency setting it was set to custom and still is in custom while the AA setting which I had turned off previously automatically changed to 8x (the options in the list box however are 2x 4x 8xcsaa 8x 16xcsaa 16xqcsaa and 32xcsaa).
What more do you need to know?