Problem with Power Management in NDIS driver

Hi everybody,
I have a short question concerning notifing the system that the NDIS
driver is active. As I saw in sample keybord drivers in DDK the
function PoSetSystemState is used so the system knows keybord is being
used and is not e.g. entering the standby mode.
Unfortunately this function is among those which are forbidden to be
used in NDIS drivers. Does anybody know the way the NDIS driver can
notify the system about its activity so the system is not going into
standby mode if there is a traffic present on the network interface?
Thanks for help
Marcin

"dzemiol" <dzemiol@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:20e95189.0406290116.24bb41f6@posting.google.com...
> Hi everybody,
> I have a short question concerning notifing the system that the NDIS
> driver is active. As I saw in sample keybord drivers in DDK the
> function PoSetSystemState is used so the system knows keybord is being
> used and is not e.g. entering the standby mode.
> Unfortunately this function is among those which are forbidden to be
> used in NDIS drivers. Does anybody know the way the NDIS driver can
> notify the system about its activity so the system is not going into
> standby mode if there is a traffic present on the network interface?
> Thanks for help
> Marcin

NDIS drivers (if you mean a MAC miniport) are not in the position to interfere with standby mode.
They expose enough info about their state via NDIS counters and other stats.

--PA

I'm trying yo get following functionality. My PC is a residential
gateway with build in WiFi Access Point functionality. The thing is
that as long as there is a traffic on the WiFi interface (e.g.
somebody is browsing Inet using laptop which is connected to my PC
with shared Inet connecton) I don't want my PC to go asleep. If there
is no traffic on WiFi interface the PC can go asleep to reduce power
consumption and noise level. So in general the WiFi card should work
in the similar way that mouse and keyboard are working when speaking
about power management. Additional thing is that if a user request
going into standby manualy then the PC should go asleep no matter if
there is a traffic on WiFi interface. So manual and time triggered
standby should be treated differently. First I thought about using
PoSetSystemState every time there is a traffic and respond positivly
every time driver is asked about going in standby state. I even tried
that and it works pefectly, but is not compliant with WHQL becouse of
using PoSetSystemState function which is prohibited in NDIS drivers.
I hope I explained the practical use for such a feature. Can anybody
come up with any solution for that problem?

Regards
Marcin

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message news:<Owl97OcXEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> "dzemiol" <dzemiol@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:20e95189.0406290116.24bb41f6@posting.google.com...
> > Hi everybody,
> > I have a short question concerning notifing the system that the NDIS
> > driver is active. As I saw in sample keybord drivers in DDK the
> > function PoSetSystemState is used so the system knows keybord is being
> > used and is not e.g. entering the standby mode.
> > Unfortunately this function is among those which are forbidden to be
> > used in NDIS drivers. Does anybody know the way the NDIS driver can
> > notify the system about its activity so the system is not going into
> > standby mode if there is a traffic present on the network interface?
> > Thanks for help
> > Marcin
>
> NDIS drivers (if you mean a MAC miniport) are not in the position to interfere with standby mode.
> They expose enough info about their state via NDIS counters and other stats.
>
> --PA

Do this in a program (or service) that will monitor network activity.
NDIS driver is not a right place to decide on system power state,
this is why PoSetSystemState is not allowed there.

--PA