Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$330 i5-3750k Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 19, 2012 7:02:23 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: Around $350 before rebates/shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All but keyboard, monitor, GPU

Do you need to buy OS: No I have windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter, Newegg.com, Amazon.com

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: I'm a first time builder. I will be buying a 7770 around Christmas time. I'm sure some of you saw my last post, problems came up and I wasn't able to order things. Now I can finally buy everything, including a new hard drive in this build. ***Very confused on WHICH CASE to buy***

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) - $100 (Already bought from MicroCenter)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel with painted interior ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Black Front Trim - $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ***Need help on case***

Power Supply: Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply - $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM - $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Free with motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total (Includes my CPU): $330

Note: I understand that I should get a z77 to OC but I do not want to OC at all, the reason I got the k version is because it was very cheap ($100).

More about : 330 3750k build

November 19, 2012 9:27:08 PM

so the 330$ now for the
- case.
- psu.
- optical.
- mobo.
- HDD.
- Ram.
?? cuz i dont understand your needs now lol
November 19, 2012 9:37:51 PM

how did you get the 3570k from MC for $100? It's still listed at $169...
Related resources
November 19, 2012 9:54:08 PM

mrdowntownkiller said:
so the 330$ now for the
- case.
- psu.
- optical.
- mobo.
- HDD.
- Ram.
?? cuz i dont understand your needs now lol

Sorry it is everything but OS/Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse/GPU now (Everything from last thread but now include a HDD).

bliq said:
how did you get the 3570k from MC for $100? It's still listed at $169...

There was a sale that lasted a few days.
November 21, 2012 3:36:49 AM

If you got that i5-3570K for $100, then I'd say you should sell it. They go for $200 on ebay. Then you can grab a $70 Pentium G860 on Amazon and you now have an extra $130 to put toward a video card. Added to the $100 you would spend on a 7770 that puts you in GTX660 or Radeon 7870 territory.

You said this is primarily for gaming and G860 + 7870 will blow the pants off i5-3570 and 7770 for games.
November 21, 2012 3:20:39 PM

Lol, NO. Pentiums are not good for gaming and most certainly not with higher end systems. Oh sure, their FPS numbers may seem fine, but FPS is irrelevant because it doesn't account for stutter, variable frame rates, and such that the Pentiums have huge issue with. This review measured these issues properly, unlike most others which are just dumbfounded by the phenomenon or don't even consider it:



http://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8...

Even an Athlon II x4 or such would be much better at about the same price and for Intel, simply spending a little extra on an i3 is a huge gain.
November 21, 2012 3:52:42 PM

twelve25 said:
If you got that i5-3570K for $100, then I'd say you should sell it. They go for $200 on ebay. Then you can grab a $70 Pentium G860 on Amazon and you now have an extra $130 to put toward a video card. Added to the $100 you would spend on a 7770 that puts you in GTX660 or Radeon 7870 territory.

You said this is primarily for gaming and G860 + 7870 will blow the pants off i5-3570 and 7770 for games.

Sorry I forgot to mention that the games I'm playing are entry level
November 21, 2012 3:54:32 PM

blazorthon said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-challengeru3

I consider that to be a better buy for a case compared to the case that you looked at, but it has a very different color scheme, so IDK if you'd prefer it.

Cases I'm looking at:
Rosewill Challenger-U3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec Three Hundred Two - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair 400R - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 22, 2012 1:59:30 AM

UPDATE: I have ordered the hard drive and will be ordering the rest tomorrow night
November 22, 2012 6:09:02 AM

the 400R is best of the 3 you have chose , if you want a better case you can look at the phantom 410 but i think its price a lil bit high comparing it with the cases you chose.
November 22, 2012 6:10:35 AM

mrdowntownkiller said:
the 400R is best of the 3 you have chose , if you want a better case you can look at the phantom 410 but i think its price a lil bit high comparing it with the cases you chose.

I really like the phantom but it is out of my price range. Are there any other cases sub $60 that you would recommend?
November 22, 2012 6:59:57 AM

it has a miserable cable management !! ( the antec )

- i think your best options out is the 400r and thermaltake level 10.

November 22, 2012 7:24:07 AM

just a question , your psu is modular or no ?
cuz if not , you should have a case that has real cable management with enough space to your whole cables caming out from the psu.

- Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming is good , i like it.
- also the thor V2 is good but if you are jumping to this price range you also should have look at this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's nice and big you can throw anything in it and it has a great cable management.
November 22, 2012 7:29:08 AM

My PSU is not modular, but those two are going to be on sale (See NewEgg's Black Friday list I posted above)

Best solution

November 22, 2012 12:47:34 PM
Share

if though , the thor V2 looks bad ass also has a perfect air flow capability and nice cable management.
so i think you should decide to go with one of these cases :
- 400R.
- Level 10.
- Black hawk.
- HAF XM.
November 22, 2012 3:35:18 PM

After reading many reviews, I think I'm going to have to go with the BlackHawk. Thanks for the help!
November 22, 2012 3:51:04 PM

glad to help , hope to complete your build soon , looking forword to see some pictures ;) 
November 23, 2012 12:23:15 AM

blazorthon said:
Lol, NO. Pentiums are not good for gaming and most certainly not with higher end systems. Oh sure, their FPS numbers may seem fine, but FPS is irrelevant because it doesn't account for stutter, variable frame rates, and such that the Pentiums have huge issue with. This review measured these issues properly, unlike most others which are just dumbfounded by the phenomenon or don't even consider it:



Does that chart take into account using a video card that is half as powerful on the i5?
November 23, 2012 12:24:12 AM

koi_fish said:
Sorry I forgot to mention that the games I'm playing are entry level


All the more reason you won't be making use of an i5. Pocket the cash by reselling it and get a lower end CPU.


November 23, 2012 3:51:43 PM

twelve25 said:
Does that chart take into account using a video card that is half as powerful on the i5?


By what measure are you talking about half as powerful as the i5? Regardless, the performance of the graphics card doesn't change how the CPU performs in a game. Weaker graphics doesn't change that. Furthermore, that review was done with a Radeon 7950 with Catalyst 12.3 and a 7870 such as was suggested earlier with current drivers is faster than that.
November 23, 2012 11:43:58 PM

Best answer selected by koi_fish.
!