Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a safe overclock?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2012 10:37:12 PM

I have the 6870 (and an i3-2100) and I'm really new to overclocking. I'm using Sapphire Trixx (afterburner doesn't allow me to change voltage) and I have the settings:

GPU Clock: 1000 (from 900)
Memory Clock: 1100 (from 1050)
VDDC: 1190 (from 1175)

Is this safe to run for around 10 hours each day? And can I take it up any further than this? My temperatures are ~74C (fans 100%) in these settings when running Furmark and I get no artifacts.

Also one other question, if I run my graphics card fan at 100% for about 10 hours each day will it wear out or anything like that?

More about : safe overclock

September 23, 2012 10:52:14 PM

Quote:
It will eventually wear out, but necessarily because of your overclock. I have used gpus at 100% load for years (folding@home) and never had one fail. Now that doesn't mean yours won't, but if it stays cool enough (74 C is okay) and you benched it in Furmark (the best test I use), it should be fine. You could always set an OC profile for your gpu so it only runs overclocked when you game.

Ok thanks. As for the overclock, I tried increasing my memory clock upto 1150 and it goes well, but whenever I increase my GPU clock anywhere over 1000 my screen gets these weird vertical lines and I have to hard restart my computer. Do you think increasing the VDDC would help? Do you have any idea what the maximum VDDC I should allow it to go to?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 11:20:11 PM

Running your fans at 100% will wear the fans out quicker but it won't hurt the gpu (don't worry about it). Honestly though, how can you stand the noise? I would drop the fan level down to ~50% and see what OC you can get with that.

For a 6870, below 85C on furmark after 15 minutes is recommended (this equates to gaming at about ~75C).

Increasing the voltage may let you go higher than 1000 but is also slightly risky. Blowing your gpu is much easier than blowing your CPU. If you don't mind the slight risk, you should be able to go up to 1.3v if your temps are still ok. All gpus have a lifetime, it should be anywhere from 2 to 15 years. Running it longer, hotter, faster will all decrease the lifetime but it still might last 10 years.

Another thing that might boost your performance considerably is playing with the "power control settings", turn them all the way to +20%. If you are overclocking with msi afterburner (here is a way to adjust voltage with msi AB), there is an option for power control in the settings. You may also be able to use the ccc.
Related resources
September 24, 2012 12:22:43 AM

slicedtoad said:
Running your fans at 100% will wear the fans out quicker but it won't hurt the gpu (don't worry about it). Honestly though, how can you stand the noise? I would drop the fan level down to ~50% and see what OC you can get with that.

For a 6870, below 85C on furmark after 15 minutes is recommended (this equates to gaming at about ~75C).

Increasing the voltage may let you go higher than 1000 but is also slightly risky. Blowing your gpu is much easier than blowing your CPU. If you don't mind the slight risk, you should be able to go up to 1.3v if your temps are still ok. All gpus have a lifetime, it should be anywhere from 2 to 15 years. Running it longer, hotter, faster will all decrease the lifetime but it still might last 10 years.

Another thing that might boost your performance considerably is playing with the "power control settings", turn them all the way to +20%. If you are overclocking with msi afterburner (here is a way to adjust voltage with msi AB), there is an option for power control in the settings. You may also be able to use the ccc.

Thanks for the info.
September 24, 2012 12:22:59 AM

Best answer selected by draucia.
!