Sign in with
Your question

7850 making odd noises

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2012 11:48:45 PM

(XFX Core edition)

So I was doing a bit of overclocking to see how far I can get it to go, and I noticed that as I increase the voltage (I think it maxes at 1.225) theres a ticking sound coming from the card that gets louder and louder. In terms of speed its something like 5-7 times a second, and when the voltage is up it can be heard over 70% fans.

I have noticed the PC as a whole making weird noises as a whole when doing things like loading in games or exiting out of them, but I've never really bothered worrying about it since it only lasts for the time thats happening. This tick though is constant, I don't know if its there as a result of me pushing the voltage, but I can also hear it very quietly at stock voltage (up close with the case door off).

Something to be worried about?

More about : 7850 making odd noises

a c 172 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2012 1:32:48 AM

Fans usually don't make this noise unless there is a mechanical issue so from experience coil inductors will make this noise when under full load. Certain types of coil inductors will make certain sounds and from what you had said in your post is suggesting that they were ferrite shielded. http://www.overclockers.ru/hardnews/46619/XFX_vypustila...

If that is the one that you have then there isn't much you can do short of rma the card only to have the same problem later on or rebuilding the card your self. Replacing the inductors with a different type but of a similar rating will reduce the noise and can even improve the card's stability.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2012 2:47:12 PM

nforce4max said:
Fans usually don't make this noise unless there is a mechanical issue so from experience coil inductors will make this noise when under full load. Certain types of coil inductors will make certain sounds and from what you had said in your post is suggesting that they were ferrite shielded. http://www.overclockers.ru/hardnews/46619/XFX_vypustila...

If that is the one that you have then there isn't much you can do short of rma the card only to have the same problem later on or rebuilding the card your self. Replacing the inductors with a different type but of a similar rating will reduce the noise and can even improve the card's stability.

Thanks for the reply. The card is less than a month old, is it common for this to happen? Also mine is just the single fan core edition.

Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2012 4:58:42 PM

To some degree it is for any card that uses that type of inductors, nvidia cards that uses these have it pretty bad but amd/ati have the same problem. I would try to return it and look for something a little more custom like from msi, asus, or gigabyte.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 5:01:53 PM

Yea doesnt sound healthy, but hard to say without hearing it first hand.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2012 5:29:06 PM

I've owned it such a short time that I never took out the warranty yet, will that or the fact I OC'd it effect anything? Also, it was bought through Scan, is it them or XFX I contact?

The issue is kind of odd, outside of fullscreen in gaming the tick is present, playing games normally it produces a slightly quieter fizzing noise. I've noticed changing the voltage doesn't effect it, but upping the core clock makes it louder. Is it something I've done or a manufacturing error? I did notice it the day I got it, but I assumed it was normal since I've not built a PC before, basically let it slide since it only got really loud during loading screens.

Thanks for the answers so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwy-Tz_jK8k

Sounds really quiet on here but its recorded with a Contour which has a terrible mic.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:21:41 AM

Anyone? Want to be sure.
September 25, 2012 7:34:27 AM

Does anyone else think it's coil whine? If the card is stable at the overclock then coil whine would be something I would consider it being...

I can't really hear it, does it sound like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdCKZ8qaUU

Does the sound originate from the GPU? Do you know this for sure? As far as I know, coil whine can come from the GPU, Motherboard and PSU.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 1:56:38 PM

Similar yes, its a bit lower pitched than that, the camera I used is waterproofed so the mic is pathetic, if you turn your speakers up you can hear the fizzing/screeching, its not background hiss from the camera thats the GPU, as I move the camera to the left around 00:22 it gets louder.

Something I've noticed (though it may be coincidence), is that frame-rates increase, it gets louder and higher pitched. When a game starts up for example and frames go into the thousands, it produces a massive whine, also, when running Unigine Heaven and frames go up or down based on the scene changing, the noise changes, and cuts out all together as it fades to black between frames. Does that mean anything?

Going to see if I can quickly fit a different card to make sure its not a different component.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 4:46:11 PM

Definetly the card, swapped it with a 6850 from a different computer, nothing but fan noise from it, sound persists in the other PC.
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 6:56:56 PM

As I had said but entirely ignored, you can rma/return or try to fix it your self. Just order up a pack of like 10 R30 inductors from Gigabyte's supplier or from Asus and swap them out. If you can't do that then look for a bricked card on craigslist or eBay that has high quality inductors that are not ferrite shielded. The only problem is XFX and their very very very limited warranty. RMA for another will solve the problem temporarily but it will come back again. The reason that coil squeal becomes a stability issue is that with this type of inductors is that they slowly short out as the insulation fails.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:39:53 PM

I did pay attention to it, I'm just not comfortable working on cards. I emailed Scan about it so I'll see what they say.

Thanks for the help everybody.
!