Solved

Need to replace GeForce 460 sli with what?

hey guys, I need some advise
I got 2 GeForce GTX460 Nvidia on SLI I got dual 24" monitors and want to upgrade to triple 24"s, this cards only support dual so I need to upgrade.
I play Fligth Simulator X and need for speed but I mainly use PhotoShop, I don't want to loose any "graphic power", I would like to replace them with a single card, $350 to $400 minimun of 3gb

my specs

AMD 1100T Phenom II x6 cores Black Edition
Asus Sabertooth 990 FX MotherBoard (supports SLI and CrossFire)
24gb Ram
240 gb ssd OCZ Vertex 3 for Windows only
4 sata drives (2 2tb and 2 3tb)
Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Cooler Master 1000W PSU
Corsair H100 Cooler and plenty of fans (15 in total) any advise would help thanks
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need replace geforce what
  1. Uh, a 7970?
  2. a 7970 is the only thing really close if you did your homework. The cheapest is around $430
  3. i know next to nothing about amd cpus but wouldnt it bottleneck a 7970
  4. I wouldn't see any need to upgrade. Those cards are still pretty good. I'm actually looking to upgrade to that.
  5. Deemo13 said:
    I wouldn't see any need to upgrade. Those cards are still pretty good. I'm actually looking to upgrade to that.

they only suport dual monitors, I want triple display, don't get me wrong, on stock settings they work awsome, so far tey can handle everything I trow at them, including 3d rendering, video editing ect.
  6. Thanks guys for your fast response, yes the 7970 was one that I was looking @, also the 7950, so what I see the 7970 would be a better choice over the 7950?,the diffrenc on price is about 50 so is not much of a concern but 7970 would be the most logical answer?
  7. Best answer
    They support triple display. Surround view.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements

And because they work with DVI, no need to worry about Display Port (DP) problems. You might find you need more power with 3 screens but you are good to go right now with no upgrade.
  8. Yea the 460's should support 3 screen.
  9. hey guys thanks for all your help, I picked up another 24" at compusa and just plug in , couple of clicks and now I got tri-display, thanks a million I just saved $380-$430!!
  10. Best answer selected by arod27pr.
  11. Must make you happy.

I'm not sure 1GB frame buffer and the 460 has enough power for 3 screens. But give your games a try and see if you like it or not. (keep the AA low/off and that should help with the memory issue.) If need be you can always upgrade to the 560TI or 570s or something like that and get a performance bump.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Geforce Graphics Product