Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from a 460 to 660. Use the 460 for..?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 24, 2012 3:37:50 AM

Soon I'll be getting this 660, and I'm wondering If I should just keep my 460 in as a Phyx Card. I mean how would that work? I've heard people tell me to just use it as a dead card for Phyx but I don't really understand the concept.

And if not would there be any use for it?

Thanks!

More about : upgrading 460 660 460

September 24, 2012 4:14:25 AM

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I guarantee you it would be a good idea.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 24, 2012 4:30:22 AM

Only run the 660. A modern-day CPU should handle the load just fine. Don't waste the electricity on a pointless card.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 4:31:13 AM

You could use that 460 for folding@home and help to better mankind :) 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 4:36:55 AM

dissbelief said:
You could use that 460 for folding@home and help to better mankind :) 

Still not a very efficient "use" of electricity....
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 4:38:05 AM

amuffin said:
Still not a very efficient "use" of electricity....


I never said it was
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 4:52:13 AM

GPU F@H uses way too much power. :/ 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 6:33:07 AM

insane21m said:
Soon I'll be getting this 660, and I'm wondering If I should just keep my 460 in as a Phyx Card. I mean how would that work? I've heard people tell me to just use it as a dead card for Phyx but I don't really understand the concept.

And if not would there be any use for it?

Thanks!


to begin with did your mobo have extra pci-e x16 slot and enough power to support both card in your system? my advice is just use your 660 without the 460 as a dedicated physx. i bet a single 660 should have enough grunt to run the game with high physx enabled with acceptable frame rates. just dump your 460 into your old system or sell it for cheap to get extra cash
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 7:06:20 PM

Okay guys thanks for the replies.

Here's my full build: http://goo.gl/Mhrw8

Since electricity usage isn't a problem for me, and I don't have an old build to throw it into, how would It be possible to use the 460 as a Phyx card? I mean could I use both the 660 and the 460 for Phyx? I don't really want just acceptable frame rates, I want good ones, ya know what I mean? :??: 
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 390 Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 7:42:24 PM

insane21m said:
Okay guys thanks for the replies.

Here's my full build: http://goo.gl/Mhrw8

Since electricity usage isn't a problem for me, and I don't have an old build to throw it into, how would It be possible to use the 460 as a Phyx card? I mean could I use both the 660 and the 460 for Phyx? I don't really want just acceptable frame rates, I want good ones, ya know what I mean? :??: 

Yes, the 460 will make a good PhysX card for that system. Just make sure that you play some GPU accelerated PhysX games to take advantage of the performance boost.

You just need an open PCIe slot of any bandwidth (x1, x4, x8, or x16 will all work).
Share
September 24, 2012 7:47:57 PM

17seconds said:
Yes, the 460 will make a good PhysX card for that system. Just make sure that you play some GPU accelerated PhysX games to take advantage of the performance boost.

You just need an open PCIe slot of any bandwidth (x1, x4, x8, or x16 will all work).


Okay so final questions:

1. Do I have to "do anything" or do I just put it in there?
2. Is there any Phyx software or?
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 8:14:25 PM

insane21m said:
Okay so final questions:

1. Do I have to "do anything" or do I just put it in there?
2. Is there any Phyx software or?

The PhysX software is part of the drivers and you may have to go to the Nvidia control panel to dedicate the 460 to PhysX duties.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 8:31:31 PM

Best answer selected by insane21m.
m
0
l
!