Overheating problem? - GTX 560

birrox

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hello everybody!

i bought about a year ago a computer , at the first couple of months it ran smoothly , but at the last couple of months im having a "power drops" problems. im not sure if its my graphic card or my PSU.

Intel i5 2500
gigabyte GTX 560
zumax pro 550W - gpu
win 7
coolermaster storm

what happens is , when my comp is idle its about 30 degrees (c) but when i enter "heavy duty" games such as battlefield 3 or ghost recon the CPU usage jumps to over 70 in like 5-10 minutes , and a few minutes after that my computer shuts down.
GPU load goes to 99% instantly .. dont know if thats normal

also , i was trying to run dual screens but my secondary monitor kept turning black and to make it work again i needed to close it and turn it on again... although im not sure that its connected since my old screen can be damaged...

if u guys have any ideas whatsoever it will be very much appreciated .

- i tried to increase my fan speed to 90% with msi afterburner but im affraid it didnt help at all
- i tried to uninstall the driver , reinstall it , upgrading it and all other options that has to do with drivers
- after formating my PC - it worked for like 1 day without any problems , but the problem came back

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Have you tried blasting the heatsinks witha can of compressed air? If there is dust all through it it wont work very well. If you try this make sure you keep the can upright at all times otherwise you might spray some liquid out of it over your gear, try it out before trying it on your components.

Actually I might re-word my last comment. I was under the impression that your computer was fine but you didn't know if it was getting hot or not.

Generally, from my experience, computers that shut down under load instances have power supply problems or memory problems. Seeing as your power supply is an off brand, it might be the power supply causing the problem.

Are you able to try the power supply in another computer?

I've got a 620W power supply, but it is a very well made power supply. Hence it can support a GTX 460, a GTS 250, 3 hard drives, a liquid cooling setup, a couple of fans and some other things.

80C is hot, but not bad. 90C is concerning. If you have MSI Afterburner then make a custom fan profile that changes the fan as the temperature rises and you will see lower temperatures.

Run MSI Kombuster for about a half hour, and if your computer shuts off, its probably because of the power.

Also monitor the temperature of the CPU.

Ah, you are correct. I must have been looking at another power supply, as I just put Zumax 550W into Google search.

In that case, you are having a power issue my friend.

birrox

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
is it 100% sure that its the PSU?

btw i really cant thank u guys enough for helping me uve been great help so far

and if it is the problem , do u guys have any recommendation for a new PSU mayb for a low budget that will fit my card?

Well a 560 needs at least a good power supply. Are you in the US? Newegg has great prices on stuff like all the time. I could recommend a good power supply within the range of $50 that would run it. Maybe a bit more.

The one I would recommend is [strike]$54[/strike] $44 with the coupon.

TRENDING THREADS