Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does this build make sense?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 20, 2012 1:27:53 AM

Basically I'm trying to build a new computer using some non-essential (HDD, cd drive etc) parts from a much older one and buying some new.

What I'm looking to buy is:
Core i5 3550
XFX Radeon HD 7850
Asus P8H77-V LE

I also have spare Corsair XMS3 6GB sticks lying around that I would throw in.

This computer will be used for some light gaming, mostly internet/Office type work and at some point will be hooked up a TV. I won't be OCing which is why I went with the H77.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to put these parts together?

More about : build make sense

November 20, 2012 2:22:23 AM

They would all fit, but a few suggestions.

- Get the 3450 or 3470 instead. The extra you pay for a few 0.1GHz is not visible at all in real life play.
- The ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP should be cheaper and has more features.
- XMS3 6gb? I believe that's 3 sticks right? You might only be able to use 2 out of those since modern chipsets only use dual channel RAM.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 4:06:54 AM

excella1221 said:
They would all fit, but a few suggestions.

- Get the 3450 or 3470 instead. The extra you pay for a few 0.1GHz is not visible at all in real life play.
- The ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP should be cheaper and has more features.
- XMS3 6gb? I believe that's 3 sticks right? You might only be able to use 2 out of those since modern chipsets only use dual channel RAM.


The difference in price between the 3550 and the 3450 is $10, so I guess it doesn't really matter. In fact, it looks like I can get a 3570k for $2 cheaper than the 3550 (factory refurb. although like I said I wouldn't OC it)

I've been reading that ASRock are not always that great as opposed to ASUS and Intel. Ideally i would like the motherboard to last awhile.

The ASUS P8H77-V LE is on sale now for $25 more than the ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP. I might be able to throw in another $15 for the ASUS P8H77 -M PRO. The question is, being that it will mostly be used for light work and multimedia (watching movies, and hooked up to a TV via HDMI), is it worth getting a better board?

You are right about the XMS3 being 3 sticks but I have 2 packs. On the other hand, I think the OS I have available is 32 bit, so I guess I'll only need 2 sticks anyway.

I forgot to add, is 650w PSU going to be too much for this system?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 5:56:49 AM

Where exactly are you buying from? The 3550 is usually priced close to the 3570 and 3570K in US stores.
The only exception to this is Microcenter.

You've been reading wrong then. ASRock boards are fairly good quality and actually has more features than its ASUS counterpart on almost all price ranges. The brand also used to be a spin-off or sub-company from ASUS before until they bought off themselves, and now they are ranked 3rd in the world's top motherboard manufacturers, right behind ASUS and Gigabyte.
The Extreme4 is also popularly known as the best bang for buck motherboard since it includes features you'll only see in more expensive boards from other brands.

If you're gonna make use of the PRO's display port and eSATA port, sure. Here's a comparison of the 3 boards, see which one would fit your needs and can justify the cost.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I highly suggest installing a 64-bit OS.
On a 32-bit, even those 2 sticks you won't be able to make use of. You'll only have around 3.5gb usable.

650 is overkill, yes.
For a single GPU setup, 550w would be more than plenty; yours in particular is the 7850 - this card is known to be very power conservative, 450w would still be more than enough.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 2:54:28 PM

excella1221 said:
Where exactly are you buying from? The 3550 is usually priced close to the 3570 and 3570K in US stores.
The only exception to this is Microcenter.

You've been reading wrong then. ASRock boards are fairly good quality and actually has more features than its ASUS counterpart on almost all price ranges. The brand also used to be a spin-off or sub-company from ASUS before until they bought off themselves, and now they are ranked 3rd in the world's top motherboard manufacturers, right behind ASUS and Gigabyte.
The Extreme4 is also popularly known as the best bang for buck motherboard since it includes features you'll only see in more expensive boards from other brands.

If you're gonna make use of the PRO's display port and eSATA port, sure. Here's a comparison of the 3 boards, see which one would fit your needs and can justify the cost.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I highly suggest installing a 64-bit OS.
On a 32-bit, even those 2 sticks you won't be able to make use of. You'll only have around 3.5gb usable.

650 is overkill, yes.
For a single GPU setup, 550w would be more than plenty; yours in particular is the 7850 - this card is known to be very power conservative, 450w would still be more than enough.


I'm looking at TigerDirect's CPU's. That's where I'm seeing these prices. It seems that they don't have any ASRock mobos right now. NewEgg has a lot more options including some OOB ASUS boards for cheap.

This is one of the places I read that about ASRock boards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303683-30-asus-gigaby...

Granted its over a year old. I also read a review about the board you're suggesting. The reviewer also says that the board gives a lot of features for the price, but that the board is very thin and might not last. The computer it's replacing is a 5 year (at least) old Dell. So ideally it needs to last near that long. I'm also seeing a lot of DOA's in the comments on NewEgg for the ASRock.

I don't think the board will be getting too much stress from the load it's going to be doing, so I'm not ruling the ASRock out. But on the other hand, it's really not going to be doing much beyond some Microsoft Office, watching movies and some internet streaming. I doubt it will have more than one or two HDD and an optical drive. For display (2 monitors and a TV), I'll be using the video card's ports. So I'm not sure how important extra features will be for what this board will really be going through.

An eSATA port would be nice, but I didn't realize that the -M Pro was a microATX board. Maybe the P8H77 -V would be a better choice? There's an open box one for really, really cheap.

As to the OS. I would rather put in a 64-bit. My brother (who is buying all this for my father) has a Win 7 32-bit lying around that he wants to use. For the work that it will be doing, do you think 3.5gb won't be enough?

The reason I thought 650 was that I saw the minimum PSU for the video card was 500w and I was trying to allow for the other parts with a conservative estimate. But you're right, I see that a PSU calculator puts it at under 400w.

Also, do you see a difference between these two video cards?
]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%2050001669%20600286742%20600311195%20600007779&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=48%7C14-150-617%5E14-150-617-TS%2C14-150-642%5E14-150-642-TS]
The only thing I could tell is that they have different heat sinks. Is one better than the other?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I've put a few computers together from spare parts before (including the one I'm using now), but that was for fun and for my own use. This is the first time that I actually need to get it right because it's for someone else.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 12:21:53 AM

Based on what I've seen so far, TigerDirect doesn't have the best prices. The good ones would be - Newegg, NCIX, and Amazon.

That thread you linked had 95% positive feedback towards ASRock. The negative ones aren't even that bad and are arguable now.

I don't understand why the reviewer said that, but the only problem with slightly thinner motherboards is they are a bit more flex. But even then, you'll have to exert a great deal of force to break one of those. :lol: 

I wouldn't get an Open Box unless you're really tight on cash; there's probably a reason why the item was returned.

32-bit would be okay, I guess. The system usage you gave shouldn't take out all the RAM unless you'll be having 50 chrome tabs open at the same time. I'm just a bit iffy with the thought that you won't make full use of your component. We're already taking out one stick. :( 

Though on that note - Your system usage doesn't involve gaming? Then the 7850 would be really overkill. Even a 6670 would suffice for given usage.

I would just get 500-550w so you have room for upgrades and the PSU won't be at more than 85% usage. Please do consider the reputable brands since a cheap quality PSU can fry half your components if ever it fails.

The other XFX seems to be a newer model. Might have an upgraded BIOS or something, I'm not sure. There's not much info lying around but the difference shouldn't be that big. It has shipping fee too - just get the one with free.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 12:51:59 AM

excella1221 said:
Based on what I've seen so far, TigerDirect doesn't have the best prices. The good ones would be - Newegg, NCIX, and Amazon.

That thread you linked had 95% positive feedback towards ASRock. The negative ones aren't even that bad and are arguable now.

I don't understand why the reviewer said that, but the only problem with slightly thinner motherboards is they are a bit more flex. But even then, you'll have to exert a great deal of force to break one of those. :lol: 

I wouldn't get an Open Box unless you're really tight on cash; there's probably a reason why the item was returned.

32-bit would be okay, I guess. The system usage you gave shouldn't take out all the RAM unless you'll be having 50 chrome tabs open at the same time. I'm just a bit iffy with the thought that you won't make full use of your component. We're already taking out one stick. :( 

Though on that note - Your system usage doesn't involve gaming? Then the 7850 would be really overkill. Even a 6670 would suffice for given usage.

I would just get 500-550w so you have room for upgrades and the PSU won't be at more than 85% usage. Please do consider the reputable brands since a cheap quality PSU can fry half your components if ever it fails.

The other XFX seems to be a newer model. Might have an upgraded BIOS or something, I'm not sure. There's not much info lying around but the difference shouldn't be that big. It has shipping fee too - just get the one with free.



I've been hopping back and forth between TigerDirect and NewEgg. I see that TD is ~ $10 cheaper on a lot of components (for instance on the CPU's that we've been discussing) but NE has a much bigger selection (for instance on the mobos).

I hear you with the open box. I guess I thought it was sent back because the person changed their mind or something rather than there being a problem. But you're right, better to be safe.

From what I've read, I get the feeling that ASRock is a slightly inferior product (not bad, just in comparison) and that they make up for it by loading on the features. Since the computer won't be getting too much action, the features don't seem so important compared to how long it will last. It's replacing an Inspiron 530s ~ 6 years old. If an ASUS is more likely to last that long, than that's a better choice I think.

I agree 100% about wasting system resources on a 32-bit system. I'm in diplomatic talks with my brother about that. Right now we're discussing replacing all the parts to the Dells MicroATX case for a 32-bit system and giving that to someone, so that he won't feel bad about wasting the $150 that he spent on the OS and then just getting a new 64-bit OS. By the way, are Dell cases proprietary or will I be fine with any MicoATX/low profile hardware?

As for the 7850. No there's not a lot of gaming going on that computer at all. Mostly because it can't handle much. My younger brother who also uses it spends his time watching YouTube videos about basket ball because his silly adolescent mind thinks basketball is better than Skyrim. After this upgrade I'm hoping to be able to explain to him just how wrong he is :)  Also, assuming that the mobo will last a few years, a better gpu will not be outdated as fast too.

Like you said, I'm looking at switching down to a 550w. I read that PSUs are the most important part of the comp because it can burn everyting else out, so I'm mostly just looking at Corsair for that.
m
0
l
!