Question regarding Gaming consoles & pc gaming...?

ksk235

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
How come video game consoles like Xbox 360/ps3 don't need any hardware upgrade while each year the graphics of the games gradually improve as opposed to PC gaming where you need to upgrade your CPU, Memory, Graphics card every 1/2 years?

Because PC gaming looks better. And you don't have to pay for Xbox Live.

And a computer is going to last longer than a console (except in the case of a PS2, which lasted like 11 years).

My computer, which I have had for awhile has seen alot of upgrades, but its more because I like to upgrade more than anything.

If I left my computer the way it was 2 years ago, it would still be running the latest games on high settings with no problem.

I spend alot of money on computers because I enjoy building them. I need to start selling them off though. Make some money back lol.

And welcome to the forums!

Hazle

Distinguished
1no one NEEDS to upgrade a PC that often for gaming purposes, especially not someone who've bought the higher-end parts. a person with a socket 1366 i7 doesn't need to get the latest CPU to play the latest games. those who bought it 2 years ago has got a good year or two before they ever need get a new CPU.

and if that's not the case, some make the upgrade because they are able to and choose to, i.e; my latest upgrade was an i3-2100 (previously a downgrade from an i7-960) to an i5-2310, all while i'm still stuck with a near 2 year old 6870. would i still be able to play current games if i didn't make that upgrade? VERY much yes.

and then there are those who like to tinker around with the insides of a PC. it was the second reason why i sold off my i7-960+CF 6870 (first being that it was overkill); i had the itch to build a new PC.

Story of my life right there. I went from a 965 to a 2500K, which was a jump but not that much. To be fair, it was to have 2 seperate computers to have at 2 houses.

Now, I have 7.

If you played at same detail level as consoles do (720p or lower resolution, 30 fps, all details on minimum), you would not have to upgrade your hardware either.