New gfx card causing issues with power

hlokk101

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hello all

I recently purchased a new graphics card for my pc so that my new favourite mmorpg Guild Wars 2 would run with better frame rate.

With this aim in mind I did a little research by reading some tech reviews of graphics cards and settled upon a KFA2 GeForce GTX 660ti 3096mb GDDR5 which I purchased from overclockers.co.uk and arrived promptly the next day.

My pc specs up until that point:

Core i5 760 @2.8Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM (4x 2gb)
Asus P7H55-M motherboard
eVGA GTX 460 1024mb GDDR5
OCZ technology PSU model no. OCZGXS1010 (1010w)

TSSTcorp CDDVDW
64gb OCZ-Petrol SSD - Windows OS drive
160gb Maxtor sata HDD
160gb Hitachi sata HDD
1tb Samsung sata HDD

Running Windows Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

Very eager to install my new card and play my game with improved graphics I set to it and within a few minutes had my old card out, and my new card in.

The first problem that I encountered was that after booting up, my mouse cursor would not move, although my usb mouse was receiving power (the lights were on). I couldn't figure out what the problem might be, so I replaced my new graphics card with my previous one and tried booting up again, experiencing the same issue. With no clue as to how I should proceed, I decided to unplug and plug back in all the cables on my motherboard.

I turned my pc on again and it booted into windows safe mode, and my cursor responded when I moved my mouse. I booted back into normal Windows and again my cursor responded. I replaced my old graphics card with the new and again my cursor responded. Pleased with this progress I tried to open the nVidia Control Panel and then my pc's power cut out.

I then replaced the new card with my old again, and booted back up, but the power kept cutting out before it even got to windows. This time I unplugged everything from my motherboard except one hard drive and my old graphics card but the power kept cutting out. This time I took everything out of my motherboard, including my cpu fan and cpu and removed the bios battery. I left it for 10 minutes and then replaced all these components. I was then able to boot back into windows with my OS solid state drive and original graphics card plugged in. I reconnected all of my hard drives and dvd-rom and again was able to boot into windows and it stayed stable for 10-15 minutes.

Again I attempted to replace my old card with my new and was able to boot into Windows, but after a few seconds the power cut out again. This resulted in me having to do all of the above a second time with my old card, just to get my pc working again. After that I was too tired to think about anything techy and just played my game.

I have a sneaking suspicion that even though I have a 1010w PSU that should be able to provide more than enough power to my hardware, the fact that my new graphics card is 2 generations newer than my motherboard and cpu are what is causing this issue.

At the moment I have a 4-pin power connector for my CPU but my board and psu have the capacity to go up to 8-pin but I was hesitant to try that as I would prefer to continue using my old card for the time being rather than fry my cpu and have no computer at all.

I am sorry for the long-winded post, but I felt that I needed to fully explain what I went through up to this point and I would like to ask for any advice that anyone with more tech savvy than myself can provide. Is there a way to make my new card work with my current system, or am I looking to upgrade my board and cpu?

Thank you for reading this, and for any advice you can provide.

Matthew

There is no reason not to have all pins connected to the CPU power connector. I'd say it's more dangerous to leave them unplugged. Also the generation of your graphics card should make no difference, and Fermi was probably released around the time of your CPU anyway. Your PSU is more than overkill.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers.

he said he got a 660Ti, not a 560. Massive overkill for guild wars 2. But oh well.

The problem WAS you never connected your mother board correctly. It requires an 8 pin you used a 4. Why I have no clue. Also why on earth do you have a 1000W PSU...

What the problem will be NOW(once you plug in your board) who know s. You should never have removed your CPU it heatsink. That doesn't make sense but since you did you will have to remove and clean them and correctly apply new thermal paste. What other problems you may have created will have to be addressed after taking care of those

hlokk101

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I didn't have all 8-pin's connected because that was how it was when I opened my pc to replace the motherboard when I bought the board I listed in my specs. Since only 4-pins were connected by the company I originally bought the pc from, I plugged 4-pins back in, and the second power socket had a cover on it so I thought that was correct.

I have a 1010w psu because that's what the pc came with when I originally bought it.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will have to buy some more thermal paste :)