Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading or new one? This baby has never fail me, though.

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2012 2:55:13 AM

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core

Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500)

Video Card: GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible

Hard Drive: OLD! Needs replacement. But, I am not sure if I should upgrade the whole computer.

My computer needs to be able to video edit and game with no problems. However, I do not need a crazy amount of frame rate per second and memory ram.

I just need a computer that will survive and be useful for a long time.
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2012 3:33:11 AM

If it serves your needs fine, then there is no need to upgrade.
However, getting a new machine (upgrading at this point will just result in a new build) will lead to a noticeable rise in performance. Even a low end modern build (~$750) should outperform that by a fair bit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2012 3:33:12 AM

Ok? Your statements of "video edit and game" are completely opposite of your rig as you'd have problems with both, although it may be fine if you are at a really low res. And maybe have a different definition of video edit.

Regardless, the HDD is an extremely minor component, and even a new one can fail. If your rig does what you want just replace the HDD. Keep backups. Etc.

If you want too upgrade we need more info. If you use this guide you'll get good responses

www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advi...

m
l
November 20, 2012 2:04:00 PM

Thank you for responding, both, by video edit - I mean cutting and converting videos basic editing very basic. Gaming - that build can play anything i throw at it but in low settings. that's why, i was thinking in an upgrade but because is old i wasn't sure. if an upgrade video would work or is better to make a new one. I have decide to build a new one. i will use the guide when i decide to buy my computer. hopefully soon. thank you.
m
l
!