Sign in with
Your question

Palit 560ti sonic - stock clock problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 12:00:22 PM

Hello good people of Tom's Hardware,
I am a long time visitor to the site and I usually can find the answer to my question's on the forums but this time I'm stumped so I decided to create a profile and ask myself.

Last week I bought a palit 560ti sonic on ebay that was being sold as faulty for the very low price of 20 quid. The problem with the card was that it fires up and is detected in the PCI slot but there is no output to the monitor with any of the connections. Although the card looked quite new and clean I decided to give it a once over, after disassembling the card and cleaning every square nanometer of it low and behold it fired up first time and was working with every output port I tested.

Ok so I decided to see what the card was capable of and I did come across another problem, at the core stock clock of 900mhz the card crashes after a few minutes when running on heavy load like the heaven benchmark, when playing crysis 2 at max settings it runs but there are artifacts. I underclocked it to 880 with after burner and there are no artifacts and it doesn't crash after taking it through multiple benchmarks.

I've got the voltage at 1.012 and I was just wondering whether the artifacts and crashing could be caused by me running it at the wrong voltage or whether the card may just be a bad egg. Either way I'm happy to run it at 880mhz as it is faster than the asus 550Ti I was running but if anyone has any ideas at what may be causing the problems then I would like to hear them as I would prefer to run it at the clock speed it was made to do, Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 4:06:26 PM

wow man you really lucked out in this one.....I would never take a chance like that....there is one thing you can try to get it to run at a higher frequency...as long as it is not overheating you could try upping the core voltage and see if that allows you to run at the higher frequency...it could just not be getting enough voltage to sustain that overclock...if that doesnt work then it most likely is damaged in some way and there is nothing you can do about it.....btw what country uses currency called quid? thats pretty sweet haha
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 4:57:26 PM

drums101 said:
wow man you really lucked out in this one.....I would never take a chance like that....there is one thing you can try to get it to run at a higher frequency...as long as it is not overheating you could try upping the core voltage and see if that allows you to run at the higher frequency...it could just not be getting enough voltage to sustain that overclock...if that doesnt work then it most likely is damaged in some way and there is nothing you can do about it.....btw what country uses currency called quid? thats pretty sweet haha

Mine does, you might know it as England! :lol: 

@OP, the voltage you are running at now (1.012v) sounds about right if Iwere you I wouldn't raise it anymore than that as it seems the twazock who had it before you OC'd the poo out of it and has most likely damaged the VRM's, giving it more voltage now would just accelerate the damage.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 6:35:47 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Mine does, you might know it as England! :lol: 

@OP, the voltage you are running at now (1.012v) sounds about right if Iwere you I wouldn't raise it anymore than that as it seems the twazock who had it before you OC'd the poo out of it and has most likely damaged the VRM's, giving it more voltage now would just accelerate the damage.

Thanks for the reply, I've dropped the voltage to 1.000 and it is still running fine. Is there any way of finding out if it is the VRM's that may be damaged?
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 6:45:08 PM

You could try stress testing the card but if the VRM's are on their way out that could kill them.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 7:57:51 PM

is quid like slang for pound then? lol I have never heard of that before haha...I dont get out much I guess
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 8:06:55 PM

drums101 said:
is quid like slang for pound then? lol I have never heard of that before haha...I dont get out much I guess

Yes, it is.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 9:37:41 PM

ahh ok I see I guess thats like buck or bone for dollar....interesting...I am getting more cultured by being on toms haha
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 9:48:25 PM

drums101 said:
ahh ok I see I guess thats like buck or bone for dollar....interesting...I am getting more cultured by being on toms haha

Quid is a very common term. Technically I spent 20 pound on the card and 5 pound on the postage so coincedently I could of said I spent a pony on it which is slang for 25 pounds but this kind of talk is less common.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 9:49:39 PM

drums101 said:

Yeah, in the Uk it could be anything from quids to wonga, moolah, groat , beer token, goldie and thats before you get into denominations or amounts.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 9:52:56 PM

Darkoil said:
Quid is a very common term. Technically I spent 20 pound on the card and 5 pound on the postage so coincedently I could of said I spent a pony on it which is slang for 25 pounds but this kind of talk is less common.

But considering that there are those who will spend a monkey on a card I think you've done allright.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 9:55:07 PM

damn lol if I visited the UK I would be totally lost lol despite the fact you guys speak english lol
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 10:03:30 PM

drums101 said:
damn lol if I visited the UK I would be totally lost lol despite the fact you guys speak english lol

English English is not the same as American, Canadian or Australian English and that really isn't our fault if you guys don't know how to speak properly! :lol:  We tried to give the Americans guidance in such matters and the ungrateful so and so's went to war with us for crying out loud! We had an Empire once don't you know. :cry: 
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 25, 2012 4:58:01 AM

hahah yea you could def look at it that way...we are like an ungrateful child lol.....where I am from you english guys would flip hearing the crap that comes out of the locals mouths...sometimes I cannot even understand it.
!