First build need some reassurance

So this will be my very first build. I've been meaning to do this for a while just never got around to it. So here I go.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Agility 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W PSU ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $688.17

I plan on ordering a GPU after the holidays. Probably a GTX 670 or maybe even a Radeon 7970.

Had a friend help me with picking parts out and hes one of those "I know everything" kind of people so I didn't want to spend $700 and be disappointed in myself without checking into it. :lol:
5 answers Last reply
More about first build reassurance
  1. Pretty good rig, dont see anything wrong with it.
    If you can afford it, upgrade the SSD to a performance unit (the Agility is mid-range, more budget oriented), go for the Samsung 830 or OCZ Vertex 4. Though if you have to drop to 64GB to achieve this then stick with the Agility.
  2. Should I hold off on the 500gb until after the holidays then because I already have a hard drive in my current computer. It's a "Seagate ST3640623AS ATA Device (640GB)" Figured it was worth an upgrade since this computer is a few years old and I bought it prebuilt.
  3. If you already have a drive that suits your needs then use that. The performance of the HDD isnt really a factor now that everything important is on the SSD, just use it as a storage drive for your music, files and games (games receive no benefit to SSD's, so put em on the HDD).
  4. Cool then that's what I'll do thanks.
  5. manofchalk said:
    (games receive no benefit to SSD's, so put em on the HDD)

That's really not true. Yes, they gain no benefit when it comes to framerates, but they gain a HUGE framerate when it comes to loading times. They start instantly, zoning is instant, ect...

OP, if you have games you play a lot that take a long time to start up, or (like MMOs) have frequent loading screens in-game, an SSD will make those go away.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product