Dell dimension 3000 rebuild

dodoublebs

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey guys just wanted to know what you thought about my computer... After all reading these forums helped me out so much in the first place with building and other technical growing pains.

This is the first computer I've ever built, and being that I'm a poor college student I did what I could the the minimum amount of money I had.

Case: old demension 3000 case
Mobo: gygabyte z77m-d3h-MVP
CPU: Core I3 3225 3.3 ghtz
Gpu: HIS hd radeon 6670 2 gig ddr3
Ram:8 gig Kingston @1333 ddr3
Hd: WD 500 gig Sata drive
WD sata DVD burner
pSU: off brand 550w

Total cost: 400 bucks (thank you microcenter lol)

Just so u know this was built for gaming... And it runs skyrim on high settings, assassins creed revelations all settings maxed, and crysis on high settings. However I knew while building it that it would not be a high end gaming machine but just wanted to play with friends.

Any comments or recommendations for future mods for this budget build would be appreciated! Thanks!

Also did not know if this was the place to post this.. Sorry I'm a noob on this forum.
Will update pics later

dodoublebs

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
computerlj.jpg

computer1.jpg

G

Hey man i have a dim3000 sitting here at home looking to do a budget build came across yours. Looks pretty sweet. almost exactly the performance im looking for just wanted to know if you had to do any modding of the case itself for the front headers.

dodoublebs

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Surprisingly I did not have to do any mods on the case whatsoever, it was pretty convenient considering it was my first build. That said, a few things to look at with this case is that not all the bolts for the mother board line up exactly (so it takes some finagling) also I had to leave 2 bolts out all together (you can see one empty hole in the top pic (top right of MB)). The new power supply fit perfectly (dnt have the manufacturer tho sry). I really had one issue and that was with the front 2 USB + audio port that came stock on the machine. That wire DID plug into the MB however only the USB ports work and not the audio jack... This wasn't a prob for me considering I run all the audio through my graphics card via hdmi... Dunno if I answered what ya wanted but if you have any other qs or clarification I'd be happy to help... Btw it's been bout 5 months since I built it and could not be happier!

simsema

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

That's exactly what i needed to know the audio port won't be an issue probably won't use thanks again been really helpful

Wy479

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
For a very old computer, You have given it a brand new facelift.
I've got a couple of questions though.
By the looks of the floppy disk drive, It appeats its been blocked out, How did you manage todo that? My second question is that, would his be possible on a 2350?

dodoublebs

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
@WY479 Thank you for the compliment, I saw this big boy sitting in my parents attic one day when visiting and decided to do something with it... @False_dmitry_II most people i have talked to just said get another case too, but i had to save money where i could, even if it was minute, but your spot on this case is very nice to work in because of the room it affords me.@WY479 as to your q... this particular computer never had a floppy drive included with it, however being that it was an option at the time with this model it still came with the front panel for future attachment. In other words i did not have to take anything out of the case nor put the plastic covering over the port hole. as to your second question i do not know the answer because i am pretty new into computers (always used consoles), but when i got to college i had alot of friends who preferred PC over them. The 3000 was the first Dell Pc my parents ever had and since ive only had laptops. that being said i did not know if i could build a new PC out of this case either (being that Dell has alot of proprietary ports and holes on its equipment), my best advice is to measure measure measure, and atleast buy a warranty on your MoBo in case you mess up. Microcenter was great to me and helped me out by letting me take the mobo out of the box in store to measure the dimensions and hole placements. Do that if you can. if you cant then most website i looked up would have those dimensions(not really the hole placements). I just took a chance and made sure i could return it if need be, and luckily it all turned out for the best! good luck please post if you end up finishing your project