Sign in with
Your question

AMD Radeon Sapphire HD 7970 Graphics card Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2012 2:41:06 PM

Hi all,

Ive recently tried updating my graphics card from a HD Radeon 6770 to a Sapphire HD 7970 and run into a few problems, once installed after taking the necessary steps, uninstall/installing new drivers etc, everything boots up fine and works except for whem im trying to play any game, and after 1 minute or less roughly, I experience a crash everytime, lines across the whole screen/black screen, cant do anything but turn off pc, then once reset have terrible screen tearing and squares all on my screen before even any drivers are loaded..and then sometimes resets randomly when booting, then if i turn off and come back to it a bit later, lines are gone and boots fine, until i play a game then crash again, then restart then lines back etc etc
and randomly the Graphics cards fan will go crazy, but then goes down again,
tried a few things still no luck - same problems, older drivers etc, happends on all games tried,

When i put my old 6770 back in everything works like a charm.

System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
- CPU: amd athlon ii x4 640 quad core 3.60GHz
- Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset (AM3+) Motherboard
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drives: 1TB HDD
- Graphics Card: HD Radeon 6770
- Sound: 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
- CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler

Was told by Overclockers (Where i purchased it from) that my PSU might be too low.. but also I was told by my brother who knows more about this then i do that the card might be faulty.. i have no idea.. wondering if any of you guys/girls had any ideas ? would be great
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 2:53:32 PM

Check the temperature in CCC.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 2:55:55 PM

Could be either or really. My brother just had a OCZ 700w PSU burn out on him after only using it for a year, and I have read before that OCZ's lower end models are garbage alot of the time. My brother don't even overclock anything. Do you have another computer that you can try the GPU in? That would be the best thing to do before you start any spending, or sending the card back for an RMA.
Related resources
!